Dashcam footage. Who was at fault?

Soldato
Cyclist is a nutjob. 100% his fault.
Never bomb up the inside of stationery vehicles especially when not a cycling lane and double especially when a junction is clearly there. He will have know the roads as well and absolutely brought that situation on himself.

Man of Honour
Technically both at fault, but in reality to make traffic work the responsibility needs to be on the cyclist here. In that situation if the driver turning right did wait until they were 100% sure it was clear, they would be sitting there ages while obstructing the flow of traffic.

Soldato
The article seems to say it's conflicting advice for both, so you'd imagine 50/50

However, when I cycle, no way in hell would I be filtering up the inside of traffic at that speed across a junction, and as mentioned, the sudden gap appearing is an obvious hazard so you'd slow down accordingly, the cyclist seems to have been going at a fair old rate of knots not giving the car any real reaction time..

Soldato
Van was leaving a gap at a junction, any person with half an ounce of intelligence would have realised that something was about to turn, no matter how slowly the car had proceeded, the cyclist put themselves in a very dangerous position by proceeding with no proper view of the junction, this is why undertaking in any situation is generally dangerous.

Associate
If it had been two lanes of traffic and the outer one had stopped to allow the Astra to cross but the inner one had carried on and a crash resulted who would be at fault then? Most people would say it was the Astra's fault as they should have checked both lanes before turning.

I agree that the Cyclist should have exercised more caution but from a liability perspective I would say the Astra driver was at fault.

Soldato
I'd say it's a 50/50 just down to what the highway code suggests both parties should be doing in that situation.

This, although personally the cyclist was an idiot and you can't really blame the car driver for not noticing until the last minute.
I live just down the road from there, it's always a bit hectic at busy times with cars, pedestrians, cyclists all over the place.

Soldato
As a commuter cyclist and a general motorist (I actually cycle more miles than I drive), I would put most of the fault on the side of the cyclist.

Whenever I approach a situation like that, especially on road that I know the environment of, when I see cars stopped keeping space for turns, I always slow down & anticipate that a car may be coming and when they do I come to a halt and give way.

Unfortunately on my travels, more often than not cyclists don't even take into consideration the above, if other cars have stopped in a congested road to give way to vehicles to turn onto a road, most cyclists have the mentality that because they can filter through the traffic, there is no need for them to stop or wait, some simply do not care, some have the attitude of "I'm going somewhere, get out of the way". Then you end up with things like this.

The Clio driver could never have seen that cyclist coming, even if they creeped in, and would not have been able to anticipate that a cyclist would bomb down in such a narrow space.

The key to using the road are 3 things, reading the road ahead, having common courtesy and using common sense.

Man of Honour
Have to say I've no sympathy for the cyclist here despite it being a somewhat unfortunate accident - proceeding at speed into a potential hazard.

Have less and less sympathy for cyclists these days - there is a corner on my way to work where I've nearly had a cyclist go into me (its starting to ***** me off) or seen them nearly hit or hit someone coming around it way too quickly yet you see the exact same person going around it the very next day with the same lack of caution - its only after a more serious collision they approach it more cautiously.

Soldato
50/50 but if I was the cyclist it would never have happened because I've got some common sense and don't ride across blind junctions without slowing to walking pace to make sure it's clear first.

Man of Honour
I'd say it's the cyclists fault here. The car driver stopped until the van gave way. The car driver could not see the cyclist due to the van and didn't turn particularly quickly or slowly. Perhaps they could have crept forward more slowly. But ultimately the cyclist could see there was a hazard ahead (traffic stopped at side turning with the potential for a vehicle to turn) and was traveling too fast to stop.

Soldato
My wife had pretty much the same accident a while back except that it was a motorcyclist using a cycle lane and a transit van instead of minibus. Her view turning right was completely obstructed by the van and another right behind it as well, so no way to have seen the motorcycle.

Insurance deemed it 100% her fault :(

My view was the motorbike shouldn't have been in the cycle lane at all, so a 50/50.

On the plus side, nobody was injured and damage was minor on both sides.

Soldato
100% the drivers fault

Rule 127
A broken white line. This marks the centre of the road. When this line lengthens and the gaps shorten, it means that there is a hazard ahead. Do not cross it unless you can see the road is clear and wish to overtake or turn off.

I don't agree with the rule though in this case as the cyclist is hidden but the onus is on the driver to make sure THEIR way is clear

Back
Top Bottom