DDR4 into DDR3 MB?

Associate
Hey,

My PC still has it's original 8GB DDR3 memory from 2011, reckon finally time to bump up to 16GB!

Board is Asus P8Z68-V Intel Z69 (Socket 1155) DDR3

I've no clue about RAM, can you use DDR4 on DDR3 motherboards?

Can someone recommend something to suit?

Associate
Nope. New memory needs new board, and therefore new CPU.

How many slots are currently used on your board, because should be able to find some DDR3 to add to your existing.

Man of Honour
No you can't fit DDR4 into a DDR3 board. Even if you could get it to fit (which is impossible) it wouldn't work.

I am not sure I would be spending any money on DDR3 now. Has your usage changed that means you need more than 8Gb? If not I would stick with what you have until it's time to upgrade.

If you still want to go ahead then either get another identical kit to the one you have and run 4x sticks or sell what you have and get something like these. I would want a kit with tighter timings though because C11 at only 1600mhz is pretty terrible. Look for a 1600mhz kit that is C9 or less. These would have bben perfect, and cheaper but unfortunately they are out of stock.

Don't get hung up on speed because faster memory on your platform makes little to no difference.

Man of Honour
Ok i have Kingston HyperX Genesis (2x4GB)

Its 12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel

I could put in another 2 sticks of this?.....

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...al-channel-kit-cml8gx3m2a1600c-my-307-cs.html

There are other retailers. If you hunt around a bit (it took me about 2 minutes) you can find a 16Gb (2x 8Gb) kit of that memory for just £3 extra. Find that and buy it and sell your current kit. It also rules out any issues of running 4x sticks. There is no way in hell I would pay that much for 8Gb of DDR3.

Associate
OP
There are other retailers. If you hunt around a bit (it took me about 2 minutes) you can find a 16Gb (2x 8Gb) kit of that memory for just £3 extra. Find that and buy it and sell your current kit. It also rules out any issues of running 4x sticks. There is no way in hell I would pay that much for 8Gb of DDR3.

I ended up getting to two 8gb sticks of this. MB is so old it wouldn't recognise them, guess 8gb sticks weren't around back then! Anyway bios update sorted it

OcUK Staff

Errrr, there are NO other retailers. Do not google. The other retailers are a lie. FAKE NEWS

;)

Back
Top Bottom