DDR5 is here, first kits on sale in July

Associate
lol, just as I buy a kit of F4-3200C14D-32GTZ CL14.

But I guess it's time for the general market, DDR4 has been around for a while. I won't be changing from this X570 board/5950x for the foreseeable future, so, just watching on with interest to see how DDR5 runs.

Associate
Higher than even I predicted :(
Unlike with DDR3 to DDR4, it looks like a consumer part is going to lead when Alder Lake is released.
The last time DDR4 first came to HEDT and server AFAIR where it wasn't such a large part of the budget.
No chance of pairing a cheap APU with overclocked DDR5 for cheap for a few years at least.

Soldato
What are considered good timings on DDR5?
There are no known good timing DDR5s and who knows how many years you have to wait for those.

THis memory would be similar in absolute latency to high CL20 DDR4 at very slow 2400MHz speed.
While CL18 timing would be considered as slow on lot faster 3200MHz.

Soldato
Someone might buy them in preparation of a new build using Intel alder lake
With these latencies it's foolish to believe Alder Lake will be automatically any better for gaming than Rocket Lake.
In fact gaming performance regression wouldn't be wonder, because gaming is lot more latency than bandwidth limited.

Soldato
With these latencies it's foolish to believe Alder Lake will be automatically any better for gaming than Rocket Lake.
In fact gaming performance regression wouldn't be wonder, because gaming is lot more latency than bandwidth limited.
This is just the bog standard ram for office PCs the gaming stuff will come later and apparently will go up to 12600mhz speeds.

Associate
This is just the bog standard ram for office PCs the gaming stuff will come later and apparently will go up to 12600mhz speeds.
While I'm sure TeamGroup figured they could set the price at whatever they want being first, this bog standard office PC stuff is then the equivalent of DDR4-2133 except for the prices.
So it will take a long time for DDR5 to make sense for most buyers, so initially ADL had better have something else up its sleeve too.

Associate
This is the first kit right now, by the time Alder Lake releases there should be a lot better.

Don't see DDR5 dethroning something like 4000 CL14 or my 4200 CL16 for some time though, it would need to be able to bring around 5000 Mhz CL20 to beat enthusiast DDR4 chips.

While DDR4 has reached CL18 5000, those are extremely rare and highly expensive.

Soldato
Bog standard office PCs won't be needing any DDR5 until its price is at level of DDR4.

And problem isn't speed, but latencies.
Just cranking clocks up won't solve that, because without improving chips and DIMM module, timings have to be relaxed.

Associate
I'm quite sure bog standard 3600 CL16 would be better than 4800 CL40 for an office build lol.

The thing is by the time Alder Lake releases it should be a lot better. 5000+ CL20 is the best DDR4 reaches but it costs over a grand for that, surely something like 5000+ CL24+ for £150 would be much more preferable if DDR5 manages to pull that off.

Remember how long it took though for 3600 CL16 to become the standard for DDR4.

Associate
Quite a worrying indicator this price. People think there might be a DDR5 shortage come Alder Lake and actually buy this in July for $400 which leads other manufacturers to say "Oh TeamGroup sold 4800 C40 for $399 then I'm sure people will pay $425 for 5000 C38". Repeat till people stop buying which will be... never.

Also am I missing something here? Say you do buy this RAM in July you don't actually get to test it till best case... end of the year right? What if it's faulty? Your retailer 30 day return policy is out the window. You are stuck RMAing RAM to Taiwan...

I've not looked into DDR5 much but won't 2 stick be quad channel? I feel like with the trend moving forward of just being "throw more cache at the problem" i.e. Ryzen 6000 the solution is to just crank the Mhz of the RAM for more bandwidth. I don't think latency matters when you have such a riduclous amount of cache.

Back
Top Bottom