Associate
OK. So woke up to a lifeless pc this morning.

Have tested power supply and bypassed power switch but still nothing from the motherboard. So thinking this is gone. If it is...

I want to keep most of my hardware obviously but was looking at upgrading processor soon anyway.

Current system details are:

ASUS PCE-N15 300Mbps
Patriot Viper Steel 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C18 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit
Samsung EVO 850 250GB
Cooler Master B600 Power
Microsoft Windows 10
NZXT S340 Mid Tower Case
Seagate BarraCuda (2TB)
EVGA GeForce GTX 1060
Intel Core i5-7600K
ASUS PRIME Z270-A Socket

I'm not very knowledgeable on pc's other than just replacing my ram. Happy to hand this over to someone if I need to but want to find most suitable motherboard and processor first.

I run Affinity graphics software plus sketchup 2021 pro and vray5 (Pro rendering software) so needs to be able to handle this well and be fully compatible.

Can anyone assist in suggesting a new motherboard & processor? I really don't know where to start!

Thanks all

O.

Man of Honour
Cpu 11400 (6 core) and a b560 motherboard should cost you around £250 - £270.

The 11400f is cheaper but without intergrated graphics.

Mite be worth getting a m2 drive if your going yp ipgrade , 1tb for about £90.

AMD is another option .

Whats your budget ?

Associate
OP
Cpu 11400 (6 core) and a b560 motherboard should cost you around £250 - £270.

The 11400f is cheaper but without intergrated graphics.

Mite be worth getting a m2 drive if your going yp ipgrade , 1tb for about £90.

AMD is another option .

Whats your budget ?

Tried the tin foil thing, obviously. Also gave it a bath with premium bath salts from home bargains. Sill, incredibly, no signs of life.

Anyway. I wasn't prepared for this and have only just started looking at it. But if I'm going to the trouble to replace them I want to be able to run these thirsty programs and upgrade so I'm probably wiling to go to £400 if it's good value for money.

Man of Honour
Tried the tin foil thing, obviously. Also gave it a bath with premium bath salts from home bargains. Sill, incredibly, no signs of life.

Anyway. I wasn't prepared for this and have only just started looking at it. But if I'm going to the trouble to replace them I want to be able to run these thirsty programs and upgrade so I'm probably wiling to go to £400 if it's good value for money.
£400 will give you an 8 vore cpu and motheboard 3700x and a b550 motherboard or b450 which is only supports pcie3 .

Intel
11700 or 10700 8 core and a b560 motherboard.

Intel you will need a better cooler but the 3700x comes with half decent cooler.

Look at benchmarks for which performs better before ypu decide.

Soldato
OK. So woke up to a lifeless pc this morning.

Have tested power supply and bypassed power switch but still nothing from the motherboard. So thinking this is gone. If it is...

I want to keep most of my hardware obviously but was looking at upgrading processor soon anyway.

Current system details are:

ASUS PCE-N15 300Mbps
Patriot Viper Steel 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C18 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit
Samsung EVO 850 250GB
Cooler Master B600 Power
Microsoft Windows 10
NZXT S340 Mid Tower Case
Seagate BarraCuda (2TB)
EVGA GeForce GTX 1060
Intel Core i5-7600K
ASUS PRIME Z270-A Socket

I'm not very knowledgeable on pc's other than just replacing my ram. Happy to hand this over to someone if I need to but want to find most suitable motherboard and processor first.

I run Affinity graphics software plus sketchup 2021 pro and vray5 (Pro rendering software) so needs to be able to handle this well and be fully compatible.

Can anyone assist in suggesting a new motherboard & processor? I really don't know where to start!

Thanks all

O.

That PSU test isnt really a reliable test in your situation, it onlyt tests if the PSU is able to switch on or not, if the fan doesnt spin and theres no signs of life then its obviously completely dead, it doesnt test all the different voltages on each of the cables, the only way you can test those is with a multimeter, and the motherboard requires all of those different voltages, so if for instance the 5v line in that 24pin connector isnt working, then no power up, try another PSU first.

Associate
OP
So I'm thinking

ASUS ROG STRIX B550-XE GAMING WIFI (AMD AM4) B550 ATX MOTHERBOARD

And

AMD RYZEN 7 3800XT EIGHT CORE 4.7GHZ (SOCKET AM4) PROCESSOR.

Would this work with my existing hardware? Any thing else I may not have considered? Will current cooling be OK?

Thank your help!

Associate
OP
That PSU test isnt really a reliable test in your situation, it onlyt tests if the PSU is able to switch on or not, if the fan doesnt spin and theres no signs of life then its obviously completely dead, it doesnt test all the different voltages on each of the cables, the only way you can test those is with a multimeter, and the motherboard requires all of those different voltages, so if for instance the 5v line in that 24pin connector isnt working, then no power up, try another PSU first.

Yeah. I am going to let someone look over it first I think.

Soldato
So I'm thinking

ASUS ROG STRIX B550-XE GAMING WIFI (AMD AM4) B550 ATX MOTHERBOARD

And

AMD RYZEN 7 3800XT EIGHT CORE 4.7GHZ (SOCKET AM4) PROCESSOR.

Would this work with my existing hardware? Any thing else I may not have considered? Will current cooling be OK?

Thank your help!

Yes your other hardware would work with that and its a good choice to be fair, however, im pretty sure the XTs dont come with a cooler, so you would need one for socket AM4 too.

Check the compatability list for the motherboard you are interested in too see if it will be happy with your RAM.

Soldato

It's a genuine technique, it's called reflowing, you slightly melt the solder allowing hairline cracks to be repaired.

Look up reflowing.

Associate
OP
Yes your other hardware would work with that and its a good choice to be fair, however, im pretty sure the XTs dont come with a cooler, so you would need one for socket AM4 too.

Check the compatability list for the motherboard you are interested in too see if it will be happy with your RAM.

Thanks for that additional advice I will do.

Re coolers, there are a huge variation on the "compatible coolers" page. Any advice?

Associate
OP
Always happy to look at a system if you really have no idea what is going on with it, providing you live close enough to drop it off. :)

Can I ask what level of testing of the PSU you completed?

The technique of disconnecting everything from it and on the 24 pin linking the green and black cable. Fan started up on psu. Is that a reliable test?

Soldato
The technique of disconnecting everything from it and on the 24 pin linking the green and black cable. Fan started up on psu. Is that a reliable test?

Well that is telling you that the PSU will start with no load, but doesn't tell you if any of the rails are working, and what the voltage the rails are putting out when under load. You can have issues with power good being out of spec so the system wouldn't start and make it look dead. Do you have a DVM to test the rails?

As I said, happy to look at it for you (for free) if you are close by. :)

Associate
OP
Well that is telling you that the PSU will start with no load, but doesn't tell you if any of the rails are working, and what the voltage the rails are putting out when under load. You can have issues with power good being out of spec so the system wouldn't start and make it look dead. Do you have a DVM to test the rails?

As I said, happy to look at it for you (for free) if you are close by. :)

I do have a DVM somewhere yes. I'll look into testing the rails. Not something I've done before but be good to learn. Sadly I'm not in the West mids, from Brum originally, but living in Leeds now.

Thanks for the offer though.

Soldato
I do have a DVM somewhere yes. I'll look into testing the rails. Not something I've done before but be good to learn. Sadly I'm not in the West mids, from Brum originally, but living in Leeds now.

Thanks for the offer though.

Shame, im not far from Brum, id of just thrown a working PSU in it to see if it fired up.

just have a look at a diagram for a 24pin PSU connector and see which voltages should be coming out of which lines and test with a multimeter.

Edit: Heres one, most of them are grounds anyway so its pretty easy to test:

CDHbax0.jpg

Man of Honour
Back
Top Bottom