Poll: Death Penalty - Yay or Nay

Should the death penalty be reinstated?

• Yes

Votes: 321 42.6%
  • No

Votes: 432 57.4%

• Total voters
Soldato
Obviously if we're talking state-sanctioned death penalties, we'd not be talking about untrained doctors using black market drugs or anything. It'd be rare enough(in my ideal situation) that there wouldn't exactly need to be a plethora of stock or willing doctors needed.

"When done correctly" - you mean in perfect situations.

There is no 100% sure way to know whether the neck will break on falling, or whether a shot is going to definitely kill somebody, even at near point blank, pointed directly at the brain. People survive all kinds of crazy gunshots.

Either way, my point still stands - none of these are humane. They are spectacle. There are far better ways of doing it that dont involve decades, or centuries old barbarism.

Horizon did a very good documentary on this.

The majority of miraculous gunshot survival stories tend to be low power weapons like pistols, nobody's surviving a direct .308 to the head point blank, the hydro shock would turn your brain to mush instantly.

Asphyxiation by noble gas is supposedly a good way to go, no build up of carbon dioxide in the blood so you die in a hazy euphoria unaware of any choking reflex.

Hanging was a tricky method, as the long drop to break the neck and cause unconciousness is hard to acheive, and going too far can pull the head off.

Tbh of all the methods gas or high powered gunshot is the best way to go, although one might argue that a quick and painless death for a murder is inhumane to his victims who wouldnt have had that luxury.

Soldato
100% no

The money would be better spent on studies working out how peoeple become like this and fix it at the source. We need better education and more money invested in Mental Health treatment.

I agree about more money required for mental health but do you really think keeping people in prison is cheaper than having them executed? Prisons cost a lot of money...

Soldato
Yes, because of the extraordinary cost of imprisoning them on death row, and all the extra legal costs, it's more expensive to kill someone than it is to imprison them for life. Google it and amnesty international... they have a page and/or paper on it I've referred to many times in the past.

That's for the US - how is it relevant?

Associate
Less cost, less pollutants in society that only wish to cause harm (in the rigby case)

Doesn't executing someone in the US cost more than life imprisonment? Due to appeals etc. Obviously you can change the system, but then you're on a slippery slope to taking away people's human rights.

I can't really understand the want for the death penalty. I understand the points people are trying to make, but it doesn't convince me.

People listing criminals in this thread they think qualify for the death penalty. Firstly, who are you to judge? Secondly, it leaves so much room for interpretation and varying opinion.

Killing people in the name of the law seems all too barbaric for me. I don't think anyone, Judge or not, should have the power to condemn someone to death for any crime.

Soldato
But as you get older you may experience stuff that may change your mind so age is important.
And who knows, if I live another 10 years the stuff I experience may make me vote no.
So yes, age makes a massive difference.

You say age changes people but don't want to give that chance of rehabilitation to someone that may have committed a robbery that went wrong, would lee rigbys killers have committed that crime if they hadn't been brainwashed? Will age change their veiws on Islam?

Man of Honour
No, it's not age that's the important thing because two people of the same age can have wildly different experiences/one can be vastly more experienced than the other. Just as someone younger can be more experienced than both of them. Experience is the important thing... not age.

Of course age is important, in 10 years time when you are 24 your experiences will more than likely change your viewpoint on life around you.

Isn't this also achieved by imprisonment? What's the benefit?

Cost and don't compare it to the USA. Straight from the dock into a crematory/grave.

Don't question him, he's old and wise can't you see.

** Please watch the personal insults - EVH **
I'm allowed to have an opinion whether I'm 15 like you or 95.
Does only your young view count?

You say age changes people but don't want to give that chance of rehabilitation to someone that may have committed a robbery that went wrong, would lee rigbys killers have committed that crime if they hadn't been brainwashed? Will age change their veiws on Islam?

The law will have to change to fit the crime.
If a robbery went wrong then it wasn't premeditated however in the case of Lee Rigby's killers I think you are probably on your own there for rehabilitation.
I'd be very surprised if anybody on here agrees with you that they should let out to change their lives.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man of Honour
Do you struggle with comprehension? Seems weird given you have so much experience :o. Clear trolling from Dimple.

Have you never ever changed your opinion over time?
You must be great at party's.

Let's go into more detail:
Dimple was born and brought up in Port Harcourt Nigeria where daily you could drive out of your compound and see dead bodies, some with their heads cut off. Dimple lived in a time where an eye for an eye was the law and usually families carried it out. I still remember a saying that went something like "If you murder someone 10 heads will roll from your family" or similar. Dimple also attended executions down at the local Port Harcourt stadium.

When Dimple came home his views started to change and he became a bit of a tree hugger. He read lots of magazines like Murder Casebook which was a bi-weekly magazine over about two years and he still couldn't get the last two folders for the 12 folder set :( During that time he also read about a lot of miscarriges of justice so believed that murderers shouldn't be killed just in case they didn't do it.

Dimple kept this viewpoint until he started working with murderers and baby rapers in 2007 although he wouldn't send that particular age group to the gallows (15 to 17).

Dimple believes in capital punishment but thinks the law should change so there has got to be 100% proof that the murder was committed. Dimple would also make people like Ian Watkins walk to the gallows even though he hasn't murdered.

Peoples viewpoints change with age, if it doesn't you must be on ** not an appropriate comment **

Now you stop your trolling.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Can you agree to disagree? Some want capital punishment and that's their preference.. others don't. Both are equally valid because opinion is based on experience and everyone is entitled to one.

No more baiting and sly digs, please.

Man of Honour
Can you agree to disagree? Some want capital punishment and that's their preference.. others don't. Both are equally valid because opinion is based on experience and everyone is entitled to one.

No more baiting and sly digs, please.

Thanks for that EVH.
I get attacked because I'm older than most, it's pathetic.
I'm allowed an opinion like everybody else but it doesn't mean I'm right, other people think they are right.

Man of Honour
The law will have to change to take Due Process into account.
There will be murderers who will most definitely be 100% guilty.

Whilst I disagree with capital punishment for anyone, my biggest issue is that once you have it as a possibility, you will execute innocent people. You may come back and say that doesn't need to be the case, at which point I'd ask for a single example of any state in the world which has capital punishment and has not subsequently found a miscarriage of justice.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The trouble is though, what happens when we have someone we think is 100% guilty and it later turns out they're not?

I'll try and find an example or two later.

There's that guy who served 29 years for killing somebody and DNA proved him innocent. He also had the mind of a 9 year old I think. I can't remember his name.
They had the samples back then but didn't have the technology.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...icted-rape-bogus-FBI-evidence-walks-free.html

1. George Perrot, now 48, was jailed for life for rape and assault in 1987
  2. Perrot, then aged 19, was convicted of raping Mary Prekop, 78, at her home
  3. Conviction was based almost entirely on single hair found at the scene after Prekop twice testified that Perrot was not her attacker
  4. FBI has since admitted that science used to link hair to Perrot was bogus
  5. Perrot's conviction was quashed last month, and he was freed on bail Wednesday
  6. Prosecutors have not yet decided if they will seek a retrial, though judge said it is 'unlikely' they will be able to get a conviction

Back
Top Bottom