Death Stranding - who is still undecided and not purchased yet?

Soldato
OP
Thank you for the kind message Scort. :)

I created this thread to find people who were interested in Death Stranding but had not yet purchased for whatever reason.

Secretly I had 2 copies of DS to give away so instead of creating a general giveaway where potentially anyone could win which includes people not interested in the game, already own the game and/or anyone who could sell it on for financial gain. I hoped to find 2 winners that had a genuine interest in the game and give it a good home.

Plus it’s almost Christmas and I’m extra festive this year :D

Like a festive Porter Elf, I made deliveries and connections along the way.

Soldato
Bit of a duplicate post from the main Death Stranding thread, so hopefully Mods won't mind.

Not sure how to do the whole username tagging here, but I hope neoglow sees this post.

MASSIVE thanks to this fellow OcUK-er - out of the blue last week, I got an email notification about a Conversation that had been opened with me on the forum - reading it, my 'this must be a scam' radar went into overdrive (no offense to neoglow!). So I did my due diligence, and sure enough, the guy had plenty of posts and indeed there were plenty of tell tells to confirm this might be genuine.

I'll not go too far into details, as I don't want the poor guy to be bombarded with begging requests, but neoglow kindly offered me a copy of Death Stranding - for nothing! A proper Secret Santa, and what was pretty awesome (I thought) is that he likened the gesture; to the premise of the game:

"No scam, no cost, just a fellow forum member getting in the spirit of Christmas and like the game, connecting people in a fractured world"

So a huge thank you dude! And although I've promised myself not to open it until Christmas, I cannot wait to play the game.

I'll pop a message in your Trust :)

That's genuinely awesome, well done to that user. Hope you get something out of the game. Its certainly one I'd like to experience one day, the reception is mixed in a way that intrigues more than it puts off.

GG!

Soldato
Definitely getting this but when the price drops, black Friday I hope! The Push Square / Kotaku reviews convinced me, and when I found out he's looking for his daughter, Amelie, which is also the name of my daughter, it was a deal clincher. Looking forward to putting hours and hours into it.

Soldato
So finally picked up the Directors cut having never played before. There are lot's of wtf is happening moments and they really drip feed the origin story (it took me about 3/4's of the way in to finally know what BT stood for :p ) but it's a bit different to the norm and I feel the mechanics of the game, the walking and vehicles work well and the upgrades are keeping me engaged and enjoying the game. Graphically it looks good to me, some excellent landscapes. Getting towards what I think is the end now. Thumbs up from me.

It's one of those games you just have to stop every now and again and smell the roses.

Soldato
I picked up the DC for PS5 last week and have been spending a few hours per day getting through the story. I'm mostly enjoying it but I'm still somewhat confused by some of the mechanics or even the controls; as in how to do certain things. There is a shedload of story and other info to be had from the emails and interviews but I confess reading walls of text on a TV screen isn't my thing.

I'm partway through chapter 5.

Associate
So finally picked up the Directors cut having never played before. There are lot's of wtf is happening moments and they really drip feed the origin story (it took me about 3/4's of the way in to finally know what BT stood for :p ) but it's a bit different to the norm and I feel the mechanics of the game, the walking and vehicles work well and the upgrades are keeping me engaged and enjoying the game. Graphically it looks good to me, some excellent landscapes. Getting towards what I think is the end now. Thumbs up from me.

It's one of those games you just have to stop every now and again and smell the roses.

Going through my second play through now, doing it completely offline without help from other players with zip lines and bridges etc, as I felt that was a bit of a cheat when I played first time round.

I wish there was more wildlife, as it does feel a little empty at times, would be good to sear deer or rabbits running around once in a while, they could also do with a fishing mechanic too!

Soldato
I'm playing again......Got the Platinum on the PS4 version and have kicked things off on the lovely PS5 Directors Cut. Still enjoying as much as before (although I hadn't maybe realised just how much of a difference those later game stabilisers and the like make to how you can walk over terrain - found myself flat on my ass a few times).

Soldato
I've had this since launch but not got far; just got the bike.

Not sure I understand the mechanics of the game... seems to me that you can just run everywhere holding the triggers to restore your balance? So all the "lean left/right" stuff is rendered moot.

Seems all very confusing and I'm unsure what liking other peoples little signs etc. does... just all seems very pointless and only there to distract from how little gameplay there is.

Also the points system and inventory management all seems totally aimless, what am I supposed to do with all this information?! I cannot translate the points ratings to my performance to know how to improve my ratings and surely things like balancing the load should just be automatic, without having to manually keep selecting to rebalance items.

Even avoiding the black slime things seems redundant, all you have to do is hold down the breath button and go even slower than usual, which just makes travelling through those sections even more tedious.

Not sure I get this "game".

Soldato
^ echo these same points.
So many skip-able screens with lots of pretty but seemingly pointless information.
I don't get the cargo screen either when you can simply auto-arrange items; why not do that automagically.
I don't get the balancing mechanic when you can simply hold down both triggers at the same time indefinitely in most circumstances; this includes when clambering over rocks or other obstacles. Outside of chapter 3; I've never used or feel the need to use any weapon; just run or sneak away.

It looks gorgeous on the TV and when a tune kicks in; it becomes an enjoyable yet sedate walking simulator.

I suspect I'm playing it wrong :) (on chapter 6.)

Associate
It's interesting reading the opinions above as, although I fully expected it to be boring as hell (I ignored it completely first time round), I am absolutely loving this game. It's hard to put my finger on why that is but I think it helps that I tend to enjoy quite grindy games that have that "just one more" type of gameplay. I've spent a crazy amount of time building out the infrastructure so I can get around more easily, and I find that side to the game very addictive. I'm about 50 hours in, just started episode 8, and I can't wait to get home tonight so I can finish building my zipline loop! :D

It was a toss-up between Ghost of Tsushima and Skyward Sword for my favourite game this year, but this one is in the mix now too.

Soldato
Finished it the other day. The ending was rather original to me in how it was presented to the player and the acting at the end really was well done. A solid 8 out of 10. I think if I started now though I would turn off the online features. The other structures from other players was helpful but all the extra fluff you get with it was a bit atmosphere breaking.

If I have to be critical I would have liked more of the background to what happened revealed in cut scenes rather than just text or at least an introduction to what happened as it's all rather wtf at the start. Horizon Dawn did this amazingly well.

Caporegime
It's one of those games that's a bit of a novelty but you'll never it play again as the only reason you completed in the first place was to finish the story, the gameplay itself is just massive grind to progress the story.

Back
Top Bottom