Debadge question

Associate
OP
I was bored this afternoon so I decided to just go for it.
Heat gun, turps, bottle of polish and a micro fibre cloth later..... you wouldn’t even know
k1iTwIo.jpg
BHLTZ6p.jpg

Caporegime
I guess what people are trying to say is the kind of people who does these kind of things often are the ones with small engines, like BMW 116i or 120D etc or those who debadge a Vauxhall (it’s always a Vauxhall!) It comes across as they are embarrassed with the small engine and debadging it to hide the size of the engine at a glance (sure there are other tell tail signs). I’m in the UK Volvo C30 group and the vast majority to debadge their C30 owns a 1.6 engine, one polar extreme guy even put a T5 badge on his until you run the plate on ECP.

I mean those same people is VERY unlikely to debadge a Ferrari F40...”no matter the cost” goes out the window and “cleaner look” will also go out the window.

I can’t speak for others but my feelings on it. When someone debadge a BMW M3 competition pack then I would no choice but accept the cleaner look but when they debadge a bottom of the range model, that’s how it is translated. I’m sure some people truly do like the cleaner look but until they debadge a Lamborghini or something top of the range...I call BS, harsh? But true, that’s how it comes across.

Associate
OP
If people ask what kind of car it is I tell them, there’s no embarrassment here:p
everyone here on this thread knows it’s a 1.6 it doesn’t bother me at all. My jaguar xe had “JAGUAR” right across the boot lid and “xe” in the corner which I removed all of it, wasn’t trying to hide the fact that it’s a jaguar xe. This is the first car I’ve owned under 2 litre but all cars I’ve owned I debadge.

Soldato
Removing the model designation I can understand to a degree, especially as manufacturers offer that as an option anyway. Removing the badge always looks weird though.

Soldato
I only debadged my CLK350 because the last owner had already removed the AMG badge on the right side and the zero from the left side, leaving CLK 35 as if that's even a thing. I wouldn't have bothered with a CLA180 but it does look cleaner.

Associate
I always assume that all the debadged cars you see are the smallest engine/poverty spec versions which kind of makes them stand out even more as the lower spec cars compared to the rest :confused:
yes and no - when spec'ing my M135i I chose the debadge option (inc removal of all the M badges), as I would prefer not to draw attention to the car, if possible.

Tbh, I've spotted (younger) lads putting M badges on their 116/120d, or equivalent performance badges from other makes. It’s almost as if those without the power want to pretend they’ve got it (same goes for big exhaust on a tiny engine), whereas those with the proper engine want to hide it.

Soldato
I always assume that all the debadged cars you see are the smallest engine/poverty spec versions which kind of makes them stand out even more as the lower spec cars compared to the rest :confused:

Not round here your white poverty spec will always have a M badge or AMG on the diesel financed if they can't stretch for the M Performance or AMG line package.

Man of Honour
I wouldn't debadge the C43 (although I am tempted to take the AMG badge off the back) as otherwise people might think I'm driving a C220d :p

Do think it looks good on some cars though

Soldato
Guess we are all different and no offence meant. :D

I like to keep my car the way it arrived with all the badges, mine has M badges all over the place, I've got no intentions of removing or adding any even though people do state that the M model designation is being diluted by all sorts of models now wearing these badges.

Man of Honour

yes and no - when spec'ing my M135i I chose the debadge option (inc removal of all the M badges), as I would prefer not to draw attention to the car, if possible.

Tbh, I've spotted (younger) lads putting M badges on their 116/120d, or equivalent performance badges from other makes. It’s almost as if those without the power want to pretend they’ve got it (same goes for big exhaust on a tiny engine), whereas those with the proper engine want to hide it.

It works both ways, in fact there is probably a business opportunity here swapping badges over; you've got people in sleeper cars who want a 1.1 Nova badge so they can surprise people or avoid being 'challenged', and then you've got people in cheapo cars who want to look like they've made it :)

Back
Top Bottom