Debt Collection - past issues..!!

Soldato
Trying to find out some info if I can...

Family member didn't pay their debts and has the same name as me, sadly...!! now since 2004 I've been getting all their debt collection letters, as they wrongly think I'm the one they are chasing...

I've written to them, advised them, called them, sent back letters to them, proving who I am etc all to no avail...

Still the letters come...

Is it correct, that after 6 years old debts can on longer be chased? I know some of these debts are well past 6 years..

I got a rather threatening letter the other day for a debt of £25K.. Yep, a single debt for 25000 pounds... If I actually jot up all the debt collection letters I've had in the past few years I'd say this scumbag family member owes around 80K..!! So sad..!!

Anyhow, I'm now getting sick of it. I really do want to get this stopped, and these debt collectors are not listerning. I do not know where the person they want is, I believe they used my name and address to trick the collectors into thinking my address is where they are...

Ever since I get on average 1 - 2 letters monthly requesting payments..... I've requested Credit agreements to prove its not me who signed for it, mostly fails. Sent letters back, consulted with Citizen advice, nothing is working...

Mostly the letters come from the north, yorkshire or scotland, I'm worried that one day someone will force entry into my home and take my TV or something.....

I'm debt free, I live my life and I really just want to find the person and get them to deal with it...

Any advice, can after 6 years these letters still be sent to me? 5 odd years now and I've finally had enough..

thanks..

Soldato
OP
ignore em until they give up or take you to court, you will hear about it if they take you to court.

They can't take your stuff until a Court tells them to.

Really.. thats comforting. If it does go to court, I can easily prove who I am. I have nothing to hide, so that does reassure me if its actually true.

thanks..

Soldato
can't you write them a cease and desist letter to be followed up by your lawyer claiming harrassment. Would be great if you could actually start sending them threatening letters

Wasn't there something recently along the same lines to do with parking fines?

In any case keep everything....

Soldato
OP
hang on, who hase the same word for word name that you no longer know and is in your family? sounds odd to me

My dad.. Mr M ****** is what they are using, its just so wrong.

No idea where he is, haven't spoken to him in nearly 7 years. that was when I went to get my mum as he'd beat her up and kicked her out so I went to get her and she came home with me.... Another story.

I knew they had bad debt, and my mum, stupid as she is, gave him my address. He moved on long ago but not before he'd used my address to get all his debt transferred to my address. Scambag..!!

Its not odd, he just thought smarter then me at the time, and my mum was stupid.

I too think its harassment.. I do keep everything, just in case it does end up in court...

Soldato
Sounds very complicated - personally I'd visit your local Citizens Advice Bureau.

M.

P.S. Sadly it also sounds likely that your father could have taken out the debt in your name as well... sooner you seek help the better I think...

Associate
Make an appointment to see an Officer from your local Trading Standards Department. They'll be able to advise you on what to do, and if they intervene then things usually get resolved very quickly.

Back
Top Bottom