Deca Move (on your phone?)

Soldato
Quick Review.

Simple to setup. Works without starting the game from the decamove menu.

You need to do a quick calibration at the start of each game.
It only works with Steam VR according to the manual, haven't tried it with games from other stores, Like Oculus or Epic.

It turns off very quickly when not in game. So even when loading a new area of a Skryim for instance, it shuts off and you have to turn it on and do the calibration thing again.

What is it like in game? Strange. I tried in in both Half Life Alyx and Skyrim. It seemed to work better in Half Life Alyx. The turning was much slower in Skyrim. But, I would need to do a longer test to see for sure.

It's going to take a long time for me to get used to. It felt so alien to be turning using the body, not my head or using the thumbstick. Going have to relearn how to move in VR. Will this make my VR experience better? Until I get used to it, I don't honestly know.

Soldato
Well my Decamove is actually moving. Shipped a couple of days ago apparently.

Only nine more moves and you should get it.
50742439333_1cc9762364_o_d.gif

Soldato
Got my Decamove this morning. Looks like a nice little piece of kit - very lightweight. Ironically this makes it feel cheap, but it does make it almost unnoticable when clipped to your waist.

Will give this a try this evening, especially in Skyrim where the hand oriented movement really annoys me. Maybe even see if it works in Rec-Room for tonights games.

Soldato
Got my Decamove this morning. Looks like a nice little piece of kit - very lightweight. Ironically this makes it feel cheap, but it does make it almost unnoticable when clipped to your waist.

Will give this a try this evening, especially in Skyrim where the hand oriented movement really annoys me. Maybe even see if it works in Rec-Room for tonights games.

Let me know! Funnily enough, when playing rec room recently I really wished I had hip based movement. Running around in rec royale, I really want to be able to continue in one direction whilst being able to scan my surroundings. I'm sure it will take a few moments to adapt, but it's got to feel natural.

Soldato
I've had a chance to have a play and it works amazing well for Skyrim, No Mans Sky and HL Alyx. Being able to move around the game world without having to hold my hands up to guide my direction is much more natural and comfortable.
Best of all in Skyrim there aren't any sudden changes of direction when I'm aiming spells or raising weapons in combat.
It doesn't seem to work properly in some other games though. Cosmodread and Rec Room it still changes direction when you move your head.
I'll have to try it on Pavlov and Contractors.

Soldato
I've had a chance to have a play and it works amazing well for Skyrim, No Mans Sky and HL Alyx. Being able to move around the game world without having to hold my hands up to guide my direction is much more natural and comfortable.
Best of all in Skyrim there aren't any sudden changes of direction when I'm aiming spells or raising weapons in combat.
It doesn't seem to work properly in some other games though. Cosmodread and Rec Room it still changes direction when you move your head.
I'll have to try it on Pavlov and Contractors.

Didn't see this post or I wouldn't have replied in the hangout thread!!

For me it works great in Half Life Alyx, but, I found it was slow or something in Skyrim. But, still haven't had time to get back into the game and give it a better test.

About the calibration, I can't say I have noticed it ever happening in game without me actually trying to do it. I wonder are some Decamoves more sensitive than others? It requires effort for me to actually get in the right spot for the calibration to start even!!

Yeah, it's fantastic to be able to just move your hands and head one way while you carry on walking in another direction.

Here's hoping that they keep improving it with firmware updates and a wider range of games.

Soldato
The calibration issue for me is that the calibration position is actually quite close to how I hold my hands in Skyrim due to being used to hand oriented movement. I'd definitely prefer a different way to do it that's not as sensitive.

Also I did have the device turn off a few times last night. Seems like this is a common issue and they're releasing a fix soon. Now that these devices are in users hands (or on their hips!) there'll probably be more tweaks and fixes coming soon.

Soldato
Sorry, I've not tried the phone app. But I will say the decamove is so small and light that you forget it's there. A phone is much heavier and bulkier.

Associate
Ah ok, nm. I used the phone app and it does work pretty well, tried it on Pavlov and it does seem to allow for more natural movement. I guess the benefit of the hardware unit is just the size and weight really then as you say.

Back
Top Bottom