Decent E60 Money?

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;15092304 said:
I'd wait a year or so and buy an LCI for less. I really think the 5 series needs to be LCI - a few times I almost bought a prefacelift E39 and I think had I done so I'd have regretted it. You are spending almost double what I did so the issue would be magnified.

Hi Fox,

I know this could be a little painful for your but...

Can I ask you to clarify for me exactly what the LCI introduced and what the main benefits are. Both internal and external.

Much appreciated.

Man of Honour
There were interior revisions to the look of the dash/doorcards, you got new lights, I beleive it introduced M172's as standard, and you got the better digital joystick thingy for the autobox as well. Later cars also have revised iDrive which is much better.

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;15092446 said:
There were interior revisions to the look of the dash/doorcards, you got new lights, I beleive it introduced M172's as standard, and you got the better digital joystick thingy for the autobox as well. Later cars also have revised iDrive which is much better.

So there were slight cosmetic changes to the internal gubings, I did notice them on my test drive. They’re not massive changes though are they, it’s once you know you think the old ones rubbish. I think (from what I've seen) that the 172's were only std on "Sport Business" LCI's. The joystick is great, I agree. This is a big ask but is there anywhere you could get pictures on the revised lights for me compared to the old ones? Is there an opportunity to retro fit them?

Thanks so much!

Soldato
OP
Man of Honour
Wow, really useful info.

So tempted by 530i M Sport LCI. But they are so ridiculously rare its not worth the bother. Sigh.

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;15092734 said:
When the alternative is a 272bhp 3 litre straight six petrol engine with combined MPG of 38, yes :)

I've got my little book at home that would tell me but what is the urban MPG then? That sounds very impressive. How do the 0-60 times compare?

Man of Honour
I've got my little book at home that would tell me but what is the urban MPG then? That sounds very impressive. How do the 0-60 times compare?

Urban MPG is 26.2mpg for auto and 0-62 is 6.3 (6.5 for auto) seconds versus 31mpg urban and 6.8 seconds 0-62 for the diesel.

If I wanted an auto I'd probably be more tempted by the diesel but currently I think BMW + Petrol Six + Manual box = win :D

Should be having a 520d M Sport Auto LCI for the day in a few weeks, planning to put a few miles on it so it'll be interesting to see what I think. Tried the manual version and whislt it wasn't for me I was impressed with how refined it was for a 4 cylinder diesel.

Man of Honour
I think the original interior of the E60 was a bit mad, its like Chris Bangle, in the closing stages of finishing it off, had a massive fight with a set square.

The LCI tones down this zany wackyness which has no place in a car like a 5 Series.

Soldato
This is pretty much it. The LCI just feels like a much nicer place to be. Refined technology too with push start/stop, better iDrive, etc, etc. Better refined autobox, if that's your thing, and engines. Generally, an improvement, as it's name suggests.

Man of Honour
Refined technology too with push start/stop

It's a gimmick when its meant to be there but even FEELS like a gimmick in the LCI E60, the way you put the card into a 'slot' which has basically just been hastily stuffed in the hole where the key barrel used to go. You can even still see the circle :p

Back
Top Bottom