Decent MTB Jackets that aren't a complete ripoff

Soldato
I want a waterproof/windproof jacket to wear whilst MTB'ing, but I don't want to spend a huge amount of money because in all likelihood I will fall off and rip it.
and even if I don't rip it, its going to get ruined with mud spray up the back that won't wash out.

However it seems I need to pay £70/80/90/100+ in order to get something fir for purpose.

Or am i missing something ?

Associate
You get what you pay for and sometimes pay fom brand name reputation / R&D.

Go to go outdoors and get a cheap regatta, sprayway or north ridge jacket if you're on a budget

Soldato
I want a waterproof/windproof jacket to wear whilst MTB'ing, but I don't want to spend a huge amount of money because in all likelihood I will fall off and rip it.
and even if I don't rip it, its going to get ruined with mud spray up the back that won't wash out.

However it seems I need to pay £70/80/90/100+ in order to get something fir for purpose.

check royal racing over the January sales period - I got one of their jackets half price (? i think) last year

Soldato
OP
You get what you pay for and sometimes pay fom brand name reputation / R&D.

Go to go outdoors and get a cheap regatta, sprayway or north ridge jacket if you're on a budget
It's not that I'm on a budget necessarily but I think it's a waste to spend a lot on something that will likely get round fairly quickly.

Just been out today and it appears that I also need waterproof shorts as well. Bum is a bit wet after 2 hours round Cannock :D

Caporegime

Mud spray is hardly 'ruined' its for a purpose, not looking new isn't the end of the world.

I use my Mountain Equipment one for mtb, and it's fantastic. Pretty old now though, and it was free. But if I was to replace it, I'd get something I can use for walking and biking.

Soldato
£70 for a jacket isn’t unreasonable. Take off VAT and the retailers 30% profit and there isn’t much left for the actual jacket :p

Associate
you kinda get what you pay for - cheap jackets might still be waterproof. but are unlikely to be breathable, so you'll turn into a sweaty mess and defeating the point of a waterproof... Cheap jackets are almost like a plasticy cagoule, but a decent mtb jacket is almost like a fabric/Goretex, and shouldn't rip easily.

A good 4 years ago I got a Altura Mayhem jacket for about £90 and it's been great. Waterproof, windproof and breathable and it's still just as good as it was when new, despite a backpack rubbing against it and the odd fall... I think the original Mayhem jacket is now discontinued, with a new Mayhem 2 being the replacement - don't know what the difference is, but it's £70 here (note - it's quite large for the size)

Soldato
The cheapest way to get it is look out for jackets from last year or even the year before that brand new in the sales. I kept looking and eventually got a Gore jacket reduced from about £200 to £100.

As above you get what you pay for and the better jackets are more breathable, fit better and are better made.

Back
Top Bottom