Decent ND filters

Man of Honour
Anyone got any suggestions for decent ND filters? I was taking some waterfall shots over the weekend using some Cokin filters and I've found them to be less than neutral. The 1 stop one and the ND Grad have put a distinct pink cast on the water and sky when you wind the exposure compensation down in RSP. The 2 stop one I gave up on months ago because it's brown

I'm thinking that Hoya screw in ones are the way to go but I'm looking for advice before I go and splash the cash on 77mm ones at £40 a pop :eek:

Associate
After using Hoya for the last 3 years, I have started to go off them. They are had to clean, and can easily develop spots and fall apart.

I would probably go B&W filters.

Associate
Another vote for Lee filters from me. They are expensive, but they are the best.

The Lee filters will need an adaptor and a filter holder which makes the first time purchase a little expensive though.

Man of Honour
OP
Strax said:
Another vote for Lee filters from me. They are expensive, but they are the best.

The Lee filters will need an adaptor and a filter holder which makes the first time purchase a little expensive though.
I take it they won't fit in a Cokin P holder then?

Soldato
Apparently Hitech filters are a good alternative to Lee, and a fair bit cheaper too. They're reported to not have any detrimental effects in the way of colour casts like Cokin ND's can. I'll be getting a set of the ND Soft grads next month when I have the ££. The only real issue, not sure if this still stands, is that they were/are in some cases a little too wide for the Cokin P holder, and needed a bit scalpeling off the edge to fit correctly. They are meant to be P size though.

There's only one UK stokist, so google Hitech filters, and you should get somewhere. Note the prices quoted do not not inc. VAT or p&p.

Permabanned
danza said:
Apparently Hitech filters are a good alternative to Lee, and a fair bit cheaper too. They're reported to not have any detrimental effects in the way of colour casts like Cokin ND's can. I'll be getting a set of the ND Soft grads next month when I have the ££. The only real issue, not sure if this still stands, is that they were/are in some cases a little too wide for the Cokin P holder, and needed a bit scalpeling off the edge to fit correctly. They are meant to be P size though.

There's only one UK stokist, so google Hitech filters, and you should get somewhere. Note the prices quoted do not not inc. VAT or p&p.
Thanks, will look into that too. I believe in paying for quality, not for a name, so if these "Hitech" filters are as good quality as Lee filters, then I'm all for it.

Associate
I believe in paying for quality

Thats exactly what you get from the Lee filters, quality.

no colour casts on the nd's

a single nd grad from Lee costs about £45, but is 100x150mm, so can be used as an nd grad or a full nd filter by moving it in the holder.

Plus of course, you can use them at 10mm on my sigma which the cokin p series cant do :)

Associate
I've got a couple of HiTech ND grads and one HiTech solid ND, no problems with colour cast whatsoever. They are just a smidge too big though so it's a struggle to get them into a Cokin P holder (can be done but it bends the holder a bit, and these are the 85mm ones which are supposed to be P size), sure they cold be shaved down slightly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom