Decent pair of in ear headphones needed

Caporegime
Hi all,

Right for the past few yrs ive been using a pair of beyerdynamic mmx100 in ear headphones and liked the quality and sound from them...not too bassy but gives off a good punch.

Only thing is that they arent built to last and my pair have now given up the ghost so to speak.

So after a new pair of ear buds to use with my S3 phone when listening to my mp3s. Would like a good tough quality pair of in ear buds but nothing that costs the earth. Dont mind spending up to £100 if need be. What im looking for is something that is bassy but not too overpowering if thats possible.

Please dont recommend Dr Dre headphones, not interested in paying over the odds for headphones that are mediocre. Saying that i have a pair of Dr Dre studio headphones that i use when flying or at home.

Just need something for my journeys to and from work, something that is built to last rather than something that will break after a few uses :/

Cheers.

Associate
Yeah, really they are the best I code fine doing some pretty extensive research at the time and made the purchase, they are brilliant and although I don't hae much to compare them to they are immense!

Should be sold for at least £120

Caporegime
OP
Ok well got them yesterday and have to say the packaging is murder lol. Dont know why they seal them in these nearly impossible plastic packages...just make sure you have a good set of scissors to hand.

Anyhow they are well constructed, made out of aluminium and arent that heavy. They come with 5 pairs of earplugs all in different sizes. The sound isolation is very good, much better than my beyerdynamics that these have replaced. You also get an adaptor from the small plug to the larger one, you get an extension cord as well. You do not get any sort of carrying case ie pouch, which is stupid at the price they sell for but thankfully i still have my previous earphones pouch. Its meant to have an anti tangle cord but they easily tangle but again not a huge issue really.

Sound wise i think they are much better than my previous ones, the bass is punchy and not too overpowering depending on your EQ settings. I listen to a lot of Rnb/rap music so the earphones suit my style of music. Like i said they fit pretty well and it takes a bit of pulling to get them to come loose so im glad that they dont easily pop out. I will say this, i was impressed with my previous earphones but these blow them out of the water. But the only minus point ill give to these earphones is that if your using them with an ipod, iphone or any other phone with a mp3 player then there is no inline headset control, which i think sucks but for me not the end of the world.

At £100 they are pricey but i like them already after having them for a day now. The question is now to see how long they last build wise, like i said earlier the construction of these earphones look pretty strong but then i said the same about my previous ones and after a few months the earphones started falling apart but nothing a bit of superglue couldnt fix...

Associate
wish they would make the bit around the mini jack more protective for gettin bent and the wire breaks inside, my soundmagic e10's lost sound in one earphone cos of break in wire

Caporegime
OP
wish they would make the bit around the mini jack more protective for gettin bent and the wire breaks inside, my soundmagic e10's lost sound in one earphone cos of break in wire

Thats the problem with in ear headphones, even the expensive ones arent built to take a lot of abuse. Think in the past 5 yrs ive gone through about 10 pairs varying from £50 to £150 and each and every one of them have lost sound in one ear or other through the cable breaking :/

Saying that though the eph-100's that i bought and using now seem to be decently built but im sure they will break as i tend to shove my phones in my jacket pockets or in my jeans.

Associate
Hope you enjoy them, not a true believer in burn in but found the bass opened up somewhat once they had a good few hours in them, expect you will find that listening to r&b and drum & bass.

Forgot about the packaging, it is a complete pig! Although it's strange I I did get a soft carry case with mine.. It's not branded or tough but it's better then nothing and big enough to fit the headphones and the extension price with the converter. They must have stopped putting them in the packs for cost saving,..

Caporegime
OP
Hope you enjoy them, not a true believer in burn in but found the bass opened up somewhat once they had a good few hours in them, expect you will find that listening to r&b and drum & bass.

Forgot about the packaging, it is a complete pig! Although it's strange I I did get a soft carry case with mine.. It's not branded or tough but it's better then nothing and big enough to fit the headphones and the extension price with the converter. They must have stopped putting them in the packs for cost saving,..

They do sound very nice and ive got used to the sound isolation on them, at first i found it weird but i get a nice tight fit in my ear canals so dont have to worry about adjusting them every so often.

Been meaning to get round to check if they did send me a carry case, as i havent really had a good look at the box...all i did was take the earphones out and the earplugs. Wouldnt be surprised if they are somewhere in the box.

But the more i use the more i like them, the only thing that i dont like is that they have no inline mic or controls but its not a huge issue for me.

Associate
Yeah, that is a niggle but I can forgive them as they do sound immense. It's not to bad as I just use the volume controls as skip, pause and stop etc and I'm thinking yamaha don't want these to be seen as a generic phones to use with a mobile as odd as it sounds.

Caporegime
OP
Right found the carrying case:p...but it is a tad on the large side so ill just stick to the pouch that i have at the moment. Got enough things in my pockets as it is without a big carry case to take up more room.

Back
Top Bottom