Decent PSU recommendations please

Soldato
I've just bought a new Vega 56 GPU not considering the PSU side of things.

Current setup is:

i5 2500k
Asus P8Z77-V LX2 Mobo
16GB Corsair DDR3 ram
1 x 120GB SSD
1 x 1TB HDD
Now Sapphire Vega 56 GPU (Upgrade from Palit 560Ti)

Current PSU is OCZ bronze edition 550W.

Probably in the next year I'll be looking to upgrade my CPU, RAM and motherboard.

So something to last a while but not break the bank would be great. Possible to do on £150 or less?

Reason: The Vega 56 requires two 8 pin connections. My current PSU only has two 6 pins on the same rail so it looks like I'm not getting any power to the card as it isn't being detected.

Soldato
(Edit: In reply to your previous post, 500w will be ample for your setup. And modular PSUs come with a full set of cables.)

Plenty of tier 1 PSU choices:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £494.51 (includes shipping: £12.60)

Soldato
Change your OCZ bronze to a tier-1 PSU. You will be more efficient and less noise. Also less ripple and more stability.

Soldato
So do you think my PSU is causing problems or should it be enough to power my new GPU?
OCZ had only few good PSUs. (just before their bankruptcy)
Most were mediocrities with cheap components.
And 80+ Bronze designs were basically getting oldish already decade ago.
So there's no reason to give it much usage value.

Also at least at stock Vegas can draw high spikes. (maybe undervolting would lower those)
So those two 8 pin connectors are there for reason: Minimizing voltage losses and giving stable ground.
That's why separate cables should be used for them, instead of shared cable with two connectors in its end.

Unless wanting to keep storing unused cables inside PC (though you can't lose fixed cables) that Antec EarthWatts would be good starting point and comes with 7 year warranty.
In upper end there's Seasonic Prime with 12 year warranty.

Soldato
OP
Ah ok, learn something new every day. I didn't even realise OCZ went bust either.
I'll go purchase one of the ones linked here. Thanks everyone.

Soldato
OP
I think I've decided to go with the Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 750W PSU for £129 delivered (Not on here unfortunately) Thought it would be best to go for the 750W for the same price as the 650W on here.

Back
Top Bottom