Decent water-based satin coat?

Associate
After a couple of bad experiences with water-based wood paint, most recently the doorframe and skirting boards in my parent's kitchen (Leyland paint), I bought some Albany Oil Based Satin to redo my guest bedroom.

My problem with the water based paints was I found they didn't flow well, and dried with brush strokes visible and slightly ridged.

The oil based satin has given a good finish and there are no brushmarks visible, but I'd forgotten how much I hate the smell of paint and white spirit throughout the house.

Is a decent water-based satinwood available? Or is it a matter of technique to get a good, back-of-mirror finish with water-based paints?

Soldato
I use some floetrol with water based , it helps but still never as good as oil based

the trick I find with water based is to slap it on quickly , don’t layer too thin and don’t go back over it except to lay it off a little with damp clean brush

it’s tedious but at Least when you make a mess you can quickly wash it off with a damp rag before it dries

Associate
As someone who has used oil based gloss for many years I have finally switched to Dulux Satinwood. I use a mini roller and a brush for the bits that can't reach with the roller. I do 2 thin coats being careful of brush marks and they look pretty decent. I'm enjoying being able to re-coat after a few hours (rather than the next day) and not stinking the house out. The finish also looks good too and I can clean up the rollers/brushes with soapy water.

Dave

Associate
I've just got some johnstones aquaguard in satin white. Reviews have suggested you can get away with no primer/undercoat, and a one coat on a small area to test (on old gloss work so probably oil based) has come up well - did a scratch test with the keys and impressed with the result.

I think scuff-x seems to be a favourite in the decorating community but highly priced

Permabanned
After a couple of bad experiences with water-based wood paint, most recently the doorframe and skirting boards in my parent's kitchen (Leyland paint), I bought some Albany Oil Based Satin to redo my guest bedroom.

My problem with the water based paints was I found they didn't flow well, and dried with brush strokes visible and slightly ridged.

The oil based satin has given a good finish and there are no brushmarks visible, but I'd forgotten how much I hate the smell of paint and white spirit throughout the house.

Is a decent water-based satinwood available? Or is it a matter of technique to get a good, back-of-mirror finish with water-based paints?

JBuk is right. The application of water based gloss or satin is completely different to oil based paints. You have to be extremely fast. It's takes a fair bit of practice to "slap" the paint on without putting on too much but you really haven't got any time to mess about. But having said that I find all water based don't give a very durable finish anyway. If you want durable then it is better to just paint it with emulsion and then put a coat of decorators varnish on the top. Much easier to get a great finish and is much tougher too.

Back
Top Bottom