Decent Z690 on a budget

Soldato
Can't find many reviews with regards to the Gaming X motherboard and wondered if any folk here at OcUK are currently rocking it as I'm looking to pull the trigger on a build I'm slowly putting together... DDR4 version.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you ask in the Alder Lake owners thread, in CPU section, you might get a response from those who have that board.
IIRC @mrk has one.

I have the Aorus Elite version of the DDR4 board.

The MSI 690 Pro A is a decent no frills board.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I have the Gaming X DDR4 indeed. Mine is with 64GB (2x32GB) Corsair LPX CL18. It does not appear to be fully stable on this board at 3600MHz however so I have lowered it to 3200MHz after doing tests in apps that show zero performance difference in real world usage. So have regained stability and 1:1 internal memory clock and RAM freq in Gear 1 mode.

Other than what appear to be these BIOS related issues with RAM compatibility though, have had no other issues with the board.I still think it is one of the better looking Z690 boards out there and it fits in with my minimalistic but still almost military aesthetic of the build:

pc_RTX3080Ti_sideangle_2021.12.18_1404-06_00004.jpg

If I was buying again and had a bigger RAM budget, I would probably go for an MSI as they seem to be the top pic for basically just working with fast RAM whatever the capacity.

Soldato
OP
@mrk @Vimes - Thank you for the detailed feedback.

I agree it's a clean looking board however, what's your thoughts on the MSI Z690-A Pro?

Is it only the Gigabyte that suffers with memory issues or is it Alder Lake?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
It's neither specifically, it's just the BIOS needs to go through several revisions to become compatible with all manner of configurations. I'm sure the MSI boards have issues with certain RAM too and need faffing around. Mine probably will be stable at 3600MHz but I have no such time to faff around any more than already done. Just seems MSI seem to have a wider RAM compatibility out of the box though.

Soldato
The MSI 690 Pro A is a very decent board, at a budget price.
I liked it overall.
The Gigabyte seemed to offer little else in practical terms, but cost more. It is a heavier and, if you held them both together a more substantial board. Not sure how much that matters.
I did like how the MSI had separated NVME slots, rather than a single and then a bank of three on the Gigabyte.

Take a look at the spec of both and choose what meets your needs and preferences.

I'm happy enough with the Gigabyte, running my 12700k at 5.1 / 4ghz with no issues. It is a decent board, the Aorus.

Memory support seems a little temperamental in general with the AL platform, might not be correct, perhaps reflecting more of faster RAM.
From what I understood perhaps the MSI board fairs better with wider memory support, not sure if that is still the case with BIOS updates etc.I had / have a soft spot for Gigabyte boards in general. But MSI have been good with both support and contact etc

Soldato
OP
@mrk @Vimes - Thanks again both for your feedback. I've got around £200 to spend on a decent 'ish' board, what would you folks recommend given your experiences so far?

I've got DDR4 Corsair 2 x 8GB 3200Mhz CL16 memory to use.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Hmm well with 3200 you really can't go wrong with any, so go with what suits the build the most. I chose Gigabyte initially because of the board components and overall heft GB seem to use in their boards. The Gaming X is also Aurus grade without the Aurus name and initially even featured on the Aurus website.

Soldato
OP
@mrk - The Gaming X can be had for around £180 with the Z690-A Pro at £160.

I watched a few YT videos and Buildzoid recommends the MSI Pro, both are close in pricing.

Soldato
I do not think that you can go wrong with either board. I have had both, Aorus Elite tho for me, and there isn't much to separate them. I do not know if the extra power stage capacity of my Aorus over the MSI would make any difference at all.
IIRC the Gigabyte is UK based support and the MSI isn't, if that matters.
Just go for the one you feel best suits your needs.
I remember watching a Buildzoid video where he spoke highly of the MSI board, perhaps that counts towards it.
I can't remember at the time of owning the MSI one, issues that I had were addressed in later BIOS updates, that would make me feel it was a bad choice.
If price is a consideration then the MSI has to be the winner.

Soldato
@Vimes - Plenty of choice however now torn between both and prices are still salty for the vast majority of Z690 line-up. Forgot to mention I have a 12600K.

There gets to a point, in pricing, where it is what it is. That's kinda simplifying it but I do not think that £160 for what the MSI board offers is too much. I paid much more than that for my Z390 board and that lasted until recently when buying into the AL platform.
Look at the spec of each board, for the cost I think that's pretty decent, for an Intel board on their current platform. Where it gets a little difficult for me to justify is when you look at some of the others that are almost double, and some even more so. I suppose that depends on many factors as to their value etc.
But like I mentioned if you are focussed on the cost then the MSI is as good as it gets, and that, for me, was good.

If the needs of the Z690 isn't suiting you then perhaps the B660 chipset and some lower pricing might be attractive. I haven't got a clue what that might mean tho, in terms of what they offer over that of the "premium" Z690 boards. Perhaps ask in that thread I mentioned to see if anyone else has one..? Or just go for the MSI, for the cost...?

Soldato
OP
@Vimes - The MSI and GB Gaming X is at an affordable price for me, plus offers all the bells and whistles for the future if needed. I did think about the B660 but not sure how a 12600K would perform, but then the price of the MSI is almost to good to miss out on.

Soldato
OP
Placed my order and it's on the way as I type however, I won't be building it for a few weeks. I do prefer the black aesthetic overall which will suit my build.

Soldato
Great for you, test it out tho as working. No point in having it for a few weeks with it being potentially DOA.

One of my older Gigabyte boards...

gigabyte-ds3r-03.jpg

looked like they went a little crazy after partnering with Crayola.

Back
Top Bottom