Decorating for re-sale

Soldato
Its difficult for anyone to give their opinion as we dont know the full story but usually I would say its worth a lick of paint at least. I recently bought a house that had been on the market for over 2 years and the decorating in some rooms was hideous but I was prepared to look beyond it at the plain 4 walls. I guarantee that had the walls been painted white or cream and a neutral colour carpet the house would have sold within weeks.

Doesnt need to be that good a job so if you know a half decent decorator who can get it turned around in a few days then I would imagine your looking at no more than £500 including the paint.

Caporegime
That's by far the hardest and riskiest way to "make" money through property in a flat or falling market, usually a rising market makes it look like they've made money on a project - but they loose this "profit"on buying the next place because of it's increase in value during the time of the previous renovation.

An amateur's game tbh, it's far better to buy a large house, knock it down and build multiple smaller units on the same plot.

True, but that involves more time and paying multiple professionals.

people take on projects that they can do most of the DIY themselves.
This forum is full of threads with people doing this.

And for that reason having a move in ready house that is reasonably well decorated and looked after will sell for substantially more than some place that needs stripping

Soldato

And for that reason having a move in ready house that is reasonably well decorated and looked after will sell for substantially more than some place that needs stripping

I've just done this twice in the last 2 months.

Both properties done and dressed "like" show homes 1 sold 3 days the other 1 week.

Caporegime
Its difficult for anyone to give their opinion as we dont know the full story but usually I would say its worth a lick of paint at least. I recently bought a house that had been on the market for over 2 years and the decorating in some rooms was hideous but I was prepared to look beyond it at the plain 4 walls. I guarantee that had the walls been painted white or cream and a neutral colour carpet the house would have sold within weeks.

Doesnt need to be that good a job so if you know a half decent decorator who can get it turned around in a few days then I would imagine your looking at no more than £500 including the paint.

A friend purchased a giant mansion at a ridiculously cheap price, like 100-150K under value really (paid 300K while everything on the block of similar size is 400-450K. The thing is very new (2007 build), very high quality high end house in an expensive neighborhood, granite tops, marble bathrooms, hardwood floors and cabinets.

But the decor was h most horrific experience you have eveyr seen. Like bright neon yellow paint in the living room, barbie pink dinning room, black and yellow bee stripes in the master bedroom, 1930s flower wall paper in the kitchen, polka dots in the bathroom, hideous hand painted muriels on the walls done by someone who cant paint at all. Weird assortment of furniture form pseudo antique, to art-deco, to cheap ikea tat. Nasyt rugs throughout.

People looking in that area have the money and people that kind of cash don't want to buy a house where every room will have to be redecorated. It was so disgusting it was impossible for most people to see beyond the putrid colors.

The thing was apart from the walls (and the furniture/rug/art that would be removed) the only thing needed was a top to bottom paint job. The kitchen was superb with black granite counter, hardwood cherry cabinets, stainless steel fridge, 6 burner stove, double oven, hardwood floors. Even the carpets were fine, standard beige affair put in by the builder, they were just hidden under vile rugs.

A few days after purchase a few of us went in and paint every room in a neutral base paint. Te house already looked great. they then spent the following weekends slowing painting in room and the house looks a million dollars TBH.

Associate

Yes but a non professional's labour isn't free either, when the time added up doing the renovation could have been spent doing the "day job" ( often at an overtime rate) they would often have made more money leaving it "as was".

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm very tempted to do a bit of decoration, pretty much every room is magnolia, and it looks a little tired.
Is magnolia still the neutral colour of choice, or should I be looking at white?

Soldato
Get an estate agent in to value the place and ask them what they think would add value.

Speak to several agents.

When we shifted my Grandmother place one agent gave us a very low valuation and then said we'd probably have to take an offer. We got the impression he was trying to blag it because we just wanted shot of the property.

There are agents out there who will try to exploit the fact that relatives might not know the local market and just want to shift the house quickly.

As it happened we sold it for substantially for more then his valuation to someone who'd known my Grandmother. He approached us directly before the house had even gone on the market.

Soldato
Just an idea but why not watch a few episodes of Phil spencer secret agent on C4/4OD he covers the whole kerb appeal/selling thing and the rest of things buyers are looking for , should give you some good ideas what you can do to your property and what little you could get away with

Soldato
What I'm trying to avoid is spending (total guess) 10k on new windows if its only going to add 5k (if that) to the re-sale value.

If the frames are currently in a sorry state you'd do well to get them freshly painted.

Reaplacing the windows however I wouldn't bother.

Man of Honour
To be honest I think you're best to sell as is, certainly decorating tends to be lost money as hardly anyone when they move into a new house will keep things as they are. You may well have someone offer you ££££ less due to the windows but these days people seem to have more desire to take on projects than 10 years ago so just speak to a few agents to get a good price with a bit of room for negotiation.

We did our first place up and sold it after a year, day after it was sold all the new carpets had been ripped out and were sat outside getting ruined by the rain. Maybe it helped us sell the house but having £2k of carpet I'd only just purchased thrown away was a bit of a bitter pill to swallow at the time.

The key thing here is that regardless of whether things will be changed by the new occupant, decoration can help to sell a house. There several (interrelated) reasons for this such as:
-Just generally looks more appealing and creates a better ambience, lighter colours can create the illusion of more space etc
-Appeals to more potential buyers therefore more chance of receiving a suitable offer (in other words some people will be very dismissive of properties based on decor... regardless of whether you think this is a rational viewpoint, it does happen and thus reduces demand for the property)
-Even people who want to make changes may like having the option to be able to move straight in and make changes over time rather than feel they would have to do lots of work up front.
-Can help to mask issues that might otherwise be more apparent

There is a reason so many properties are marketed in 'boring magnolia' - it works!

Of course, there is always the balance of how much you spend versus the potential gain, and this may be influenced somewhat by what the target market looks like.

Back
Top Bottom