Decorating living room - Where to put TV??

Associate
Above the fireplace is too high.
9756010711_9414b4ccc8_c.jpg

What TV bench is that and where did you get it from?

Thanks in advance.

Caporegime
a fireplace is meant to be a focal point of the room but you are effectively sitting with your back to it. I would loose the fireplace in your case.

say's who?

so your saying lose the fireplace if it's not the focal point? wtf?

do people stare at a fireplace for countless hours of the day or a tv set?

also if he gets rid of the fireplace what is he going to use to heat up the room in winter? seriously just because someone else uses their fireplace, room, tv etc in a different way than you do doesn't mean it's wrong.

the way i see it, a fireplace is what i use when i want to heat up the room without heating up the whole house.

a tv is what everyone likes to look at when their is a decent programme on.

therefore everyone likes to face the tv.

to answer OP's question

you won a plasma which has a glass panel, glass panels reflect badly with direct sunlight or bright lighting in front of them.

so i would place the tv in front of the window and in front of any bright lighting within the room and keep all lighting in front of the screen to a minimum.

Soldato
Fireplaces were focal points of the room when there was nothing else to look at. They weren't even designed that way - they were designed to be put wherever the chimney was fitted as part of the overall structure!

Soldato
say's who?

also if he gets rid of the fireplace what is he going to use to heat up the room in winter? seriously just because someone else uses their fireplace, room, tv etc in a different way than you do doesn't mean it's wrong.

the way i see it, a fireplace is what i use when i want to heat up the room without heating up the whole house.

Says me.

Man of Honour
OP
Was thinking about this but im not sure if a corner sofa would work because I have square bay windows :( (the window would be behind the sofa) I had in mind - http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90205356/#/60205348

drawing is to scale
IMG_3400.PNG

Maybe I should just leave it as it is, a small 2 seat and small 3 seat sofa.

Its a strange house has a tiny living room, massive kitchen/diner + massive conservatory, massive main bedroom, standard size double bedroom 2, box room 3

Soldato
I would avoid the corner sofa they never seem to work in anything but massive houses. I'd also look at smaller furniture for your room, find sofas that are not so deep and don't have such massive arms you are wasting loads of space!

Soldato
That doesn't work for me, a fireplace is meant to be a focal point of the room but you are effectively sitting with your back to it. I would loose the fireplace in your case.

That's what we did. We have a much larger lounge, but had a fake fireplace in the middle of it. Whipped it out (then took the fireplace out, fnar), and it totally transformed the room.

Soldato
Pfft I'd rip the fireplace out and use that bit of the chimney as housing for TV bits, tuner box/ps3 etc then mount the TV just above it. Would like all nice and enclosed, plus no visable wires if you route power there too!

Soldato
say's who?

I'll just throw my 2 pence in and say in the original picture there is a reason that the fireplace wall has a patterned wall paper on it and no others do. Its common place to have a focus wall and quite often the fireplace is that focus.

Associate
my room is the same layout.

i removed the fireplace (dont need a fire because got central heating)

i put the tv where the fireplace was, so it was eye level when chilling out on the sofa.

maybe thats an idea ?

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Get rid of TV and put in a retractable projector in the corner.

I also hate that even in new houses the so called wonderfully trained architects (even from the 80s) Still insist of putting fireplaces in the worst position of the room.

No one cares about a Victorian idea of the fireplace being the focul place of the room anymore idiots.

Back
Top Bottom