Delays in all my hobbies due to covid and brexit. Grr

Associate
I have 2 main hobbies pc gaming and model making/gaming. I have been waiting for some new modeling stuff to arrive that was ordered back in November and have now been informed that its sat on some train somewhere in the uk in a backlog of freight. Likewise it seems that pc components are becoming equaly hard to get ahold of.

Im trying to decide if should buy what i can now of items that i definately want for the pc, and then when things start running again, whenever that is, get the rest. Or do i just wait 3/4 months and see whats there then.

I keep going round the forums and shop listings looking for parts and advice, which has been helpful. But as it seems at small form factor builds everythign is balanced to everything else on how it would fit into a case i dont think its worth buying things piecemeal, as only the CPU and Ram would be able to definatley fit, and even then id need a cooler.

Ah well, nicer to have the options i guess.

Well thats my moan out of the way, hope you all have a great new year.

Brian.

Permabanned
should have bought a supply in November. I did all my xmas shopping and got £500 worth of goods sent from the Netherlands a few months ago as i suspected delays and issues up until Q2. Why did you wait?

Covid and Brexit at the same time.

Associate
Seems like the perfect time to take up a new hobby.

Pick up a guitar, start drawing whatever takes your fancy, give it a few months till the supply issues blow over.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Could be worse, your hobbies could require travel and facilities to be open. I climb and mountain bike, neither of which I can do at all for the next 2 months probably.

Commissario
should have bought a supply in November. I did all my xmas shopping and got £500 worth of goods sent from the Netherlands a few months ago as i suspected delays and issues up until Q2. Why did you wait?

Covid and Brexit at the same time.
Not everyone can drop hundreds of pounds up front months in advance...

Also you've fairly obviously never had a hobby that involves things like paints, or release schedules, as oddly you can't plan ahead for what paints you'll run out of or find out have dried out 6-12 months in advance.
It's not uncommon for a lot of hobbies for you to buy in everything you think you'll need, then find out that you're actually short of something you'd thought you'd got plenty of but can normally pop out down the local shop and get, even if you've got a well stocked garage full of supplies.

I had an order with one company held up for 4 months because of a shortage and disruption of model paints from one supplier.

Also if you bothered to read his post, he ordered in November...

Associate
OP
Not everyone can drop hundreds of pounds up front months in advance...

Also you've fairly obviously never had a hobby that involves things like paints, or release schedules, as oddly you can't plan ahead for what paints you'll run out of or find out have dried out 6-12 months in advance.
It's not uncommon for a lot of hobbies for you to buy in everything you think you'll need, then find out that you're actually short of something you'd thought you'd got plenty of but can normally pop out down the local shop and get, even if you've got a well stocked garage full of supplies.

I had an order with one company held up for 4 months because of a shortage and disruption of model paints from one supplier.

Also if you bothered to read his post, he ordered in November...
This is so true. I have lots of other stuff i could be getting on with but i was hoping to do the thing that isnt here, Kingdom Death Monster - some of there individual figures.

Human nature i suppose :)

Soldato
Could be worse, your hobbies could require travel and facilities to be open. I climb and mountain bike, neither of which I can do at all for the next 2 months probably.

Indeed, anyone with an outdoor hobby that requires that sort of thing is feeling it right now.

Feels kind of annoying especially when you realise that we're being denied enjoying relatively covid safe pursuits (outdoors, easy social distancing) because people just couldnt skip the drunken house parties over christmas/new year.

Soldato

Feel that. I'd just about got back to climbing hard after the last lockdown.

Soldato
Indeed, anyone with an outdoor hobby that requires that sort of thing is feeling it right now.

Feels kind of annoying especially when you realise that we're being denied enjoying relatively covid safe pursuits (outdoors, easy social distancing) because people just couldnt skip the drunken house parties over christmas/new year.
That woman on Essex :confused::rolleyes:. I'd have thought you could bike under the guise of exercise, I've seen a few groups of cyclists around.

Soldato
That woman on Essex :confused::rolleyes:. I'd have thought you could bike under the guise of exercise, I've seen a few groups of cyclists around.

I was referencing the mountain biking aspect, if you live far enough away from suitable spots you arent supposed to travel to them.

Road biking is probably fine under the current rules as you say

Soldato
Coastal walking, tor walking, bodybording, these places don't shut, guess its down to the staying local message and how you and your local police interperate it, personally I am taking tintagel, Polzeath, rough tor as local.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Feel that. I'd just about got back to climbing hard after the last lockdown.

Yep, was just starting to feel like I was in a similar place to before the first lockdown minus a bit of fitness. I trained at home throughout the first one but the desire to do pretty much anything has completly left me when we are just drifting from lockdown to lockdown.

To the people saying that outdoor persuits are not bad I would tell them to go to any popular recreation spots and tell me that. This is the problem with any rules, most people will adhere to them, plenty of people will bend them as far as they need to in order to do what they want and a small but significant group will just straight up ignore them.

I went biking in the Surrey Hills a few months ago when fairly stern restrictions were in place and plenty of people were taking the ****. A few families meeting up together, so at least 4 adults, usually more and then a gaggle of children. Some groups of 15+ There was a hole in the wall cafe at the end of the ride and there was a massive queue for it. I had been in the queue a few weeks before and everyone was standing at least 1m from anyone else but this time it was just a normal queue with people on top of each other. Its amazing how most of what we do is driven by what others are doing. Because everyone was distanced the week before, anyone joining the queue did so as well. Because no one was bothering the week after, anyone who joined the queue just followed the lead and didn't bother.

People can't be trusted to do even the most simple of things.

Back
Top Bottom