DELETED_5350

Soldato
With all associated costs, viewing of the body, grave/headstone, flowers, cars etc.

Whats the minimum it would roughly cost? Someone has told me its possible for as little as £1800 and I'm highly skeptical of that.

Thanks.

It is pretty much as much or as little as you want to. Funerals, like weddings can be a bit of a guilt trip that can result in people being taken advantage of.

I do not believe that you can be compelled (Legally) to pay for a relatives funeral and if nobody comes forward to do so the LA will deal with it.

But at that level it is likely to be something along the lines of, Cardboard box, Hospital incinerator and no flowers or music!:p

If that is what you are happy with. ;)

Edit to add...

Is it legal to bury someone in your own garden?

In principle, yes.

Soldato
Had q quick google as never thought about this before, seems depends where you live and if you use a funeral director or not, burial fees are most expensive then headstone. Average cost around £3700, but could skimp to around, £2000 or go up to £10,000+.

Soldato
My dad sadly died on new years eve at the very young age of 56....

Total cost was around £10,000-11,000 not including the headstone

A grave dug and kept for 99 years - £1050 (this was included with the funeral directors cost)
Headstone - £1,850

It most definitely is not cheap to die :(, I would say the average is a bit lower than this, my dad had a reasonably large funeral with a roadside vigil from about 150 police officers, + around 300-400 mourners.

Soldato
Up to two people I believe without a license/permit.

Surely any burial requires permission as the body is declared as clinical waste and has to be disposed of correctly. An authority has to decide whether that specific person is okay to bury and then you have to get a professional who is licensed to dispose of it unless the local authorities give the okay for you to do it. Even then there would probably be loads of guidelines on the actual burial.

Soldato
Surely any burial requires permission as the body is declared as clinical waste and has to be disposed of correctly. An authority has to decide whether that specific person is okay to bury and then you have to get a professional who is licensed to dispose of it unless the local authorities give the okay for you to do it. Even then there would probably be loads of guidelines on the actual burial.

The body is released to the family after the coroner has determined the cause of death.

Associate
If you go to Co-op or a similar chain, very expensive. If you use a local independant (and well regarded) funeral director it can cost around £2-4K for a reasonable funeral. (Source -my brother-in-law is a 3rd generation funeral director running his family firm).

Most of the extra costs chains will charge are on things that are little more than rips offs, such as fancy coffins that cost thousands (but still only cost a few hundered for the funeral directors to purchase from their suppliers).

Caporegime
Cremation is much cheaper, take the ashes somewhere special to them or you.

Then there is just the ceremony, normally these are obviously quite calm affairs. Some basic foods and drinks. They aren't a big wedding feast with an open bar, live band in an English manor. A local church hall is typically a couple of hundred. You could pick up supplies form M&S.

Soldato
Some people would much rather be buried than cremated though in all fairness.

My dad wanted to be buried so it cost us more, he wanted his body to naturally return to the earth rather than just be incinerated into wasted energy.

Although it wasn't easy to find somebody to hold a service for an Atheist that wanted to be buried.. It was a very well done funeral though.

Caporegime
Some people would much rather be buried than cremated though in all fairness.

My dad wanted to be buried so it cost us more, he wanted his body to naturally return to the earth rather than just be incinerated into wasted energy.

Although it wasn't easy to find somebody to hold a service for an Atheist that wanted to be buried.. It was a very well done funeral though.

Some people prefer their body to slowly decompose and get riddled with feasting maggots, worms and insects? They should probably learn hat happens to the body after death.

Soldato
Some people prefer their body to slowly decompose and get riddled with feasting maggots, worms and insects? They should probably learn hat happens to the body after death.
Thanks for that.. I buried my dad 3 months ago... If i could swear i would..

Soldato
It's not like we're going to know or care after we're dead, so why spend so much. Take me out to sea on a small boat and "bury" me in international waters for the cost of the boat hire :D

Back
Top Bottom