• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Delidded the 7960X - just a little difference ( -9 to -14 degrees )

Associate
Just editing the video, will upload when finished.

Ran the same handbrake video conversion before and after, all other settings unchanged and took the screen grab at the same point in the conversion as the before delid run.

Happy bunny.

benchtempsDL3.jpg

Soldato
So TLDR if Intel used solder (or just sorted out their TIM application) temps even on their high tier chips would be respectable?

I'd like to imagine someone in Intel is very embarrassed that people are delidding their premium grade chips and getting results like this, but I doubt it :(

Associate
So TLDR if Intel used solder (or just sorted out their TIM application) temps even on their high tier chips would be respectable?

I'd like to imagine someone in Intel is very embarrassed that people are delidding their premium grade chips and getting results like this, but I doubt it :(

Sadly and frustratingly nobody really cares, just the way Intel likes it.

Soldato
Sadly and frustratingly nobody really cares, just the way Intel likes it.

Minimal effort, maximum gain, thats Intel right now... they have the market share to move like that, even with AMD competing now, Intel can still put out shoddy junk and rake in the dosh, even with the security exploits etc, rubbish TIM, people will still gobble up their products.

Soldato
Minimal effort, maximum gain, thats Intel right now... they have the market share to move like that, even with AMD competing now, Intel can still put out shoddy junk and rake in the dosh, even with the security exploits etc, rubbish TIM, people will still gobble up their products.

Takes time to undo the reputation of being undisputed market leader... Nobody gonna pretend that they didn't have 4-5 years of being the correct choice for either performance or battery life. (Just not with the same CPU, obviously.) That AMD have shone a light on it and proven that actually, we could be doing much better - that is something the great unwashed needs a while to process. A year after Ryzen and I still know people who think AMD is rubbish :(

Soldato
Nice vido. Really makes no sense that Intel don't solder them. I'm betting with increased competition soldered IHS will make a come back...

Soldato
Great results! A shame that we have to do this though.

I did my now sold 7900x with my own homemade tool and was bricking it the whole way through. Same with my 8700k.

It makes a massive difference using liquid metal over the intel toothpaste that’s for sure.

Soldato

The argument is that with modern CPU the power states means the CPU can rapidly cycle between hot and cool which over the long run can lead to solder cracking hence why they have chosen to use thermal paste. I don't deny this enlargement but I've not come across it personally, I guess with all the Zen CPU's on the market it's a bigger potability so it's wait and see I guess.

Back
Top Bottom