Delidding 8700K, Arctic Silver 5 or Conductonaut ?

Soldato
Going to be delidding my 8700K soon for better temps and was wondering if there really is a big difference between using a liquid metal based TIM or more traditional style TIM like AS5 on the die once a CPU has been delidded ?

Also if I do use Conductonaut on the actual die should I also use it on the IHS as well or would a more traditional TIM like Kryonaut be better ?

Trying to stay within the Thermal Grizzly branding :D

Also I've read in various places that you have to reapply liquid metal every 6 or so months due to it "drying out" any truth to this ?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
LM shouldn't really dry out in any significant enough way you need to reapply unless you've applied/fitted wrong and/or there is some (unexpected i.e. maybe a cheap heatsink with a lot of impurities in the metal) material/metal there it reacts to. It will give the biggest temperature drop to be fair though personally I'm rarely in a hurry to use it.

Man of Honour
The other issue with traditional TIM is pump out and the temps will rise slowly over a couple of weeks

Depends - AS5 properly applied will actually drop temperatures after awhile as it takes a 50-200 hours for the paste to "cure" properly.

I find it quite annoying when people dismiss AS5 in round-ups because (A) they ignore the application instructions - sometimes in some misplaced attempt at "fairness" (B) don't take into account that it takes a little longer and a few thermal cycles than some other pastes to produce the best results. When properly used it can still compete with the best stuff out there.

Soldato
To answer the second paragraph, no don't use it on the IHS-heatsink interface. Firstly it won't make any appreciable difference there compared to under the IHS. Secondly because it can (WILL) attack aluminium and is a nasty thing to squeeze out/spill on the mobo. So the less you handle of it, the better. Personally I applied LM to the die on a desk, well away from my motherboard, and used four glue dabs to hold the IHS in place. Muuuuch safer.

Conductonaut seems to be widely preferred since it came out.

Soldato
OP
Well, der8auer Delid-Die-Mate 2, Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and some Thermal Grizzly spatulas are on their way, I also have some heat resistant black silicon to use for re-lidding :)

Mu06CYS.jpg.png

Associate
Back
Top Bottom