• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Delidding i7-4790k

Associate
Hi all,

so I've been looking into the delid-die-mate 2 which looks like an great tool to delid your cpu with minimal risk. I'd just like to ask once you've de-lidded the cpu re-pasted it etc, how do you "glue" ( if you will ) the IHS back onto the PCB? does it require anything to hold it in place or can the tool just simply attach it back on with a bit of pressure

I've never thought about this before which is why I'm a little out my depth but happy to learn! :)

Soldato
The tool won't reattach it without adding anything. Some people like to use silicone like the original sealant, some use superglue or other adhesives. I use a little dab of epoxy on each corner which will hold the IHS on but make it easy to remove later.

You can also leave the glue out and just hold the IHS on using the CPU socket but it will come loose any time you remove the CPU, and will need new liquid metal applying.

Associate
OP
The tool won't reattach it without adding anything. Some people like to use silicone like the original sealant, some use superglue or other adhesives. I use a little dab of epoxy on each corner which will hold the IHS on but make it easy to remove later.

You can also leave the glue out and just hold the IHS on using the CPU socket but it will come loose any time you remove the CPU, and will need new liquid metal applying.

I appreciate the response thank you! :) will give it a try

Soldato
If your not planning on taking the CPU out on a regular basis i wouldnt glue the IHS back on, it tends to give better temps with no glue and the cpu socket will hold it in place. I used to silicone mine back on but i found my temps got worse, i looked into it and found Gamers Nexus tested it a while back, i lifted this from their site.

"Some of our recent delid-focused content, "What We've Learned Delidding Intel CPUs," has highlighted that a light silicone adhesive seal vs. no seal vs. heavy seal can have significant impact on cooling. Heavy seals, for instance, can easily result in worse performance than stock -- even with liquid metal. We recommend not resealing the IHS at all and just allowing the cooler to retain the IHS, but a seal is sometimes needed. Shipping is a good example of this."

Associate
I found the IHS a bit slippery without resealing so I used a very small layer (talking thermal paste thin) of silicone gasket maker in the corners. Don't use strong adhesives like superglue or similar. For covering the 4 internal test pins I actually used a very thin layer of the same gasket maker instead of the more typical nail polish. Didn't have any nail polish since my wife doesn't use any :). The gasket maker is non-conductive and rated for 350C anyway.

Man of Honour
If it is designed for electrical application that should be OK - the stuff that smells like Vinegar usually produces acid when it cures.

Associate
Barely noticed an odour but I wasn't consciously trying to snort it either. I was probably holding my breath since I read about bad smelling gasket makers prior.

Associate
Just did my 4790K and didn't bother glueing the IHS back down. It does slide around a bit though so keep your finger on it when clamping it down in the socket.. my lid is slightly crooked but doesn't seem to matter. Temp drop of 15C under full load at 25C ambient. Got the tool up for sale in the MM if you still need it.

Soldato
I used a tiny dot of epoxy on mine when I de-lidded it, araldite to be honest, just the tiniest of spots on each corner, but only when I sold it on, like others have said, put your PC on its side, put the CPU into the socket without the lid on it, then very carefully place the IHS on top, then hold it in place whilst you close the socket retention bracket, this will clamp it down, its not going anywhere once its down and save a lot of hassle if you ever want to change the TIM on the core.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I left my lid free on my 4770k. Still going strong in my kids pc at 4.8ghz.

Associate
If your not planning on taking the CPU out on a regular basis i wouldnt glue the IHS back on, it tends to give better temps with no glue and the cpu socket will hold it in place. I used to silicone mine back on but i found my temps got worse, i looked into it and found Gamers Nexus tested it a while back, i lifted this from their site.
Is no glue and the socket enough to hold it if the machine is moved a fair amount?

Back
Top Bottom