Dell 2007WFP any good for games?

Associate
OP
nice setup fobose, looking to do the same as you with 2x 20" monitors. not too sure if the 2007's are the best, but theres not much choice with me wanted hdcp monitors :( can you rotate them with that stand you've got?

Soldato
bomber456 said:
can you rotate them with that stand you've got?

Yeah but not easily, requires unscrewing 4 screws on each ball joint and then (if wanted them next to each other) moving the brackets down - which to be quite frank, is a ruddy nightmare. It took me ages to line them up the way they are now!

Associate
Fobose, another question for you!
I guess you use this setup for playing games nad DVD's
Do you have it setup that one of the moniters is used for displaying the game, and the other still displays the desktop?
(This is the present setup i have for my 2 CRT's)

But i usually find the image on the secound moniter is very static, and hardly changes. If your doing the same, does the desktop image not get burn't onto the LCD screen?

Can you please put me straight on this, cus i dont wont two £300 pound moniters and one with an image of my desktop permanently burn't on to the screen. :(

Regards VIPER.

Soldato
Yup. One monitor for games/movies whilst the other one usually just has msn on it (sometimes I surf whilst watching a boring movie ;)). You dont have to worry about TFT's getting an image burnt on to them, it just doesn't happen.

Soldato
Just a quick note on the response rate listed for these panels.
The Dell website says 16ms.
The Dell US website (on release of the panel) said 8ms and this was changed to 16ms.
A lot of review sites have indicated that the panel is a lot closer/is actually an 8ms panel and not 16ms.

The reason could well be legal.
It would appear that when the 2007WFP first hit the market it was indeed using the 16ms panel (I believe it is a Philips panel).
However the specification changed and the newer ones are now supplied with an 8ms panel.
However because old stock still exists, because there is no telling what you would get should you need to return your panel for a replacement under warranty etc, Dell are being cautious.
By saying it is a 16ms panel they basically cover their backsides as if you in turn get an 8ms panel you're hardly going to complain are you?

Soldato
VIPER__ said:
Fobose, another question for you!
I guess you use this setup for playing games nad DVD's
Do you have it setup that one of the moniters is used for displaying the game, and the other still displays the desktop?
(This is the present setup i have for my 2 CRT's)

But i usually find the image on the secound moniter is very static, and hardly changes. If your doing the same, does the desktop image not get burn't onto the LCD screen?

Can you please put me straight on this, cus i dont wont two £300 pound moniters and one with an image of my desktop permanently burn't on to the screen. :(

Regards VIPER.

You cannot "burn-in" an LCD in the same way you can a CRT or even a Plasma.
Mainly because the technology behind an LCD is so different - you aren't firing an electron gun, so you can't burn it.
You can suffer from what is known as "After Image".
If a static image has been displayed for a long period of time then after you turn off the LCD the mage is still there.

You can fix this usually by either leaving the LCD switched off for the same amount of time as the static image was on screen.
Alternatively leave the screen running some fast moving or at least moving graphics for a similar amount of time as it was static.
This should clear the thing up and it will be as good as new again.

Soldato
Yeah I heard there were some S-PVA panels (I think) out there, both of mine are S-IPS LG.Phillips panels. I checked in the settings and it says "LM201W01" - which is the lg phillips panel.

<edit>

stoofa said:
You can suffer from what is known as "After Image".
If a static image has been displayed for a long period of time then after you turn off the LCD the mage is still there.

I have never ever had that issue before, and I had never used screen savers (untill recently I found a nice one ;)).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Massive Attack said:
Baddas said to me that all the 2007WFP models had LG-Phillips S-IPS panels in them and that the 2007FP had a mix of both

yeah, the 2007WFP (widescreen) uses an LG.Philips S-IPS panel, which is normally the LM201W01. The 2007FP (4:3 edition) has been known to either use an LG.Philips S-IPS or a Samsung S-PVA panel.

Regarding the response time of the 2007WFP, LG.Philips list the updated version of the panel (LM201W01) as having an 8ms G2G response time and 16ms ISO black > white response time. However, Dell have stuck with the 16ms figure, rather than quoting the G2G response time. The panel HAS been updated since the 2005FPW and in practice the screen does behave more like the 8ms G2G generation. Comparable in responsiveness to some of the other 8ms G2G models like the Belinea 102035W and Viewsonic VX2025WM for instance.

Soldato
fobose said:
Yeah I heard there were some S-PVA panels (I think) out there, both of mine are S-IPS LG.Phillips panels. I checked in the settings and it says "LM201W01" - which is the lg phillips panel.

<edit>

I have never ever had that issue before, and I had never used screen savers (untill recently I found a nice one ;)).

Notice my "can suffer" :)
I'm certainly not saying it will happen - I too have had LCD panels on near static images for hours and not had the issue.
It's just I've seen the odd alarmist post on these forums and others where people have posted "I thought LCD's couldn't burn in...mine has" so I thought I'd jump in.

It's certainly possible to get after-image, I've seen it on some panels here at work but at the same time isn't a regular thing to see.

Soldato
Can anyone confirm if it comes with a DVI cable and power cable?

Also can a mod please send me a email as to why my thread got deleted. I did use the contact form but still awaiting reply.

Soldato
fobose said:
I can confirm twice that it comes with a DVI cable but no power cable - Dell dont ship them with power cables anymore!
Huh? It must be missing then?

I received Dell 2007WFP few days ago with all the cables including power. However, there were three boxes arrived, one for monitor, one for power cable and one for manual! :eek:

Soldato
When I ordered mine the cheapest price I could find them (other than OCUK) was £450!!! I paid £305 each from OCUK, and because I dont use normal kettle plug power cable it didn't bother me (monitors connect in to UPS)

Associate
got my Dell 2007WFP a few days ago, not from OC. Came with DVI cable, VGA cable, manual, CD, power cable.

revision A02, which I can confirm does not have any banding probs.

Soldato
Well I managed to find it for £302.27. When I say managed I mean. OcUK have a link to this site which tells me I can get it for £302.27 from that site!

Will phone this company up tomorrow just to confirm what is included and then order it from there anyway.

Soldato
Tob3z said:
Well I managed to find it for £302.27. When I say managed I mean. OcUK have a link to this site which tells me I can get it for £302.27 from that site!

Will phone this company up tomorrow just to confirm what is included and then order it from there anyway.

I didn't see no link when I ordered, but the site your talking about had it for £450 odd 3 weeks ago!

Back
Top Bottom