Dell 2209wa on its way and....

Associate
I'm also interested in this monitor, but haven't found any good reviews yet. I really want to know about the input lag.

I'm tired of waiting for a good 24" screen, so think I will get this to tide me over for a while, as long as the input lag is suitably low.

Soldato
I have a couple due to arrive today, still of a mind to send them straight back n wait for a 1080 version that will hopefully be out in spring....but will prolly keep them if they perform well.

Associate
For those who have these on order, does anyone have a crt monitor to do an input lag test? I've heard someone mentioned getting around 20ms input lag, but he gave no details of his setup and didn't have any photos.

Soldato
For those who have these on order, does anyone have a crt monitor to do an input lag test? I've heard someone mentioned getting around 20ms input lag, but he gave no details of his setup and didn't have any photos.

I dont unfortunately, but read plenty of threads on this monitor last few days and saw a couple of comparisons with images that showed an average of 20ms lag so i think its true.

I am primarily a gamer and although 20ms sounds high i am fairly sure its low compared to most other lcd?

Soldato
I dont unfortunately, but read plenty of threads on this monitor last few days and saw a couple of comparisons with images that showed an average of 20ms lag so i think its true.

I am primarily a gamer and although 20ms sounds high i am fairly sure its low compared to most other lcd?

There was, though, a minor input lag of around 23ms, only a frame behind, and there aren't many monitors that can beat that.

^^ that is a quote from a tn panel review
http://www.digitalversus.com/article-358-3984-35.html

Associate
OP
Hi All

I have a Spyder3 Elite and got the following results under different Brightness & Contrast settings.

1) Spyder recommends leaving the monitor at defaults so I set the Bright & Contrast at 75/75

Results :-
Luminance 225
Delta E White Point 0.9
Delta E 50% Grey 0.1
Gamma 2.21

2) 25/75 (a setting think was suggested elsewhere herabouts)

Luminance 158.2
Delta E White Point 1.2
Delta E 50% Grey 0.1
Gamma 2.19

3) 20/70

Luminance 138.8
Delta E White Point 0.1
Delta E 50% Grey 0.1
Gamma 2.23

Now based on my understanding of optimal Luminance and Delta E the last results are near darned perfect. Maybe at the top end of the advised Luminance but extremely good result I think.

Have I interpreted these correctly???

TIA for any feedback :)

Soldato
mine just arrived at the office today. will try these out when I get home :D

From what I understand from a quick google, the lower that delta_e is, the better. On your last test, did you try other colours?

doesn't delta_e depend on what the tool is comparing the colour against though?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi

Since that last post I have recal'ed using the Expert Consol and a target of 120 Luminance.

I used the Brightness 45 & Contrast 50 but the Expert Consul allows for balancing the RGB. Not 100% sure that has helped, might have the faintest of blue casts but oddly not sure it is visible in pictures just the background of IE browser. I read of another user who also targted 120 but he started with Bright/Contrast 75/57 ???

Ref the Delta E ~ not usre about colours as the Spyder 'reports' just what I have noted above.

Do post back with your feedback on the 2209wa :)

Soldato
got it all plugged in now. it's certainly a lot better than my ageing 17" iiyamas.

I know about the 'white glow' effect but though that would only happen on one axis - at the moment it happens left/right and up/down. Is that normal?

Soldato
:( got a stuck pixel :-/ hmmm. whether to send it back or not

Yeah I got mine today and it had a stuck pixel. Sent it back under DSR and ordered a replacement. The monitor was amazing though and much better image than my samsung t220.

I had a stuck red pixel in the centre of the screen. To me thats defective and well basically broken...... no way I can ignore that... Well got a new one arriving tomorrow. Games played incredible on it.

Only cost me £10 to sent the monitor back and I'd definitely pay £10 to get rid of a red pixel in the centre of my new screen.

Soldato
i got one a few weeks ago, for gaming the colour is superb, i find it a bit dark for internet use etc, the same as the 23" one i had a few months back. Its funny, in a well light office, its superb, but in a dark living room, its noticeable.

Associate
OP
Ref stuck and other odd pixels.

As far as I can tell mine is fine - I have a small prog that floods the screen with different colours in turn & all I see is the each of the designated colours ~ so looks good to me :D

Soldato
Yeah I got mine today and it had a stuck pixel. Sent it back under DSR and ordered a replacement. The monitor was amazing though and much better image than my samsung t220.

I had a stuck red pixel in the centre of the screen. To me thats defective and well basically broken...... no way I can ignore that... Well got a new one arriving tomorrow. Games played incredible on it.

Only cost me £10 to sent the monitor back and I'd definitely pay £10 to get rid of a red pixel in the centre of my new screen.

I talked to dell directly - they are arranging pick and exchange with new panel at no cost. the courier/delivery agent was a no-show yesterday. After I spoke to dell guy to ask where my delivery was he said it was strange that it didn't come but should arrive today.

However, this morning he phoned to tell me that the courier said they had delivered it (and closed the job at 18.10 last night, 7 minutes after I spoke to dell), so they couldn't arrange delivery for today :mad:

waiting til monday now.

scottish guys at dell seem very helpful, but unfortunately, looks like their delivery agent had a bad day. or is just plain ****.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom