Dell 2209wa on its way and....

Soldato
Just had mine delivered a coupla hours ago. What can I say, all the ppl who recommended this monitor were right, absolutley blinding screen in the the quality sense. Even at default settings its better than any I've had in the past and surpasses the samsung 245b+ I had previously. I've set the screen up as per the settings posted in page 3 of this thread and its even better now. COH looks stunning as does crysis too and even bluray discs look as good as they did on me old 24" samsung. Viewing angles obviously are streets ahead of anything I've had in the past and the whole package feels of a higher quality too. Screen adjustability is great too, height, tilt and rotation are a boon to release desk area.
Overall one of the best buys I've made in a long time, even better in fact due to getting a "B" grade for £150 delivered from ocuk and as far as I can see theres absolutely nothing wrong with it and all accesories were in the box.
Very happy bunny here.:)

Soldato
To revive this thread, I understand this screen (16x10) does not have 1:1 but only Fill and 4:3 modes.

I really cannot get round my head what else this means for normal DVD playback and HD stuff even though I've had a read on TFTcentral.

ANy help please?

Edit: does that mean black bars top and bottom when watching 1080p stuff i.e. squeezing 1920 to fit into 1650? I don't mind black bars, but I do not like stetching vertically, esp. people.

Last edited:
Soldato
To revive this thread, I understand this screen (16x10) does not have 1:1 but only Fill and 4:3 modes.

I really cannot get round my head what else this means for normal DVD playback and HD stuff even though I've had a read on TFTcentral.

ANy help please?

Edit: does that mean black bars top and bottom when watching 1080p stuff i.e. squeezing 1920 to fit into 1650? I don't mind black bars, but I do not like stetching vertically, esp. people.

I use my 2209WA for bluray playback amongst other things and you do get the black bars top and bottom of the screen, but I'm use to this as all me other screens did the same:)

Associate
Quick Q on what no 1:1 means.

In Windows does that mean the monitor will stretch every resolution as the video card wont output a native signal that is 1 to 1 for the monitor? If so isnt that a bit of a waste and not much use for graphic design and video work?

Many thanks,

Rik

Soldato
If a monitor does not have 1:1 pixel mapping or aspect ratio stretching then it will simply stretch any input to its native resolution, distorting the picture. This isn't usually a problem with PCs because AFAIK both nVidia and ATI have options for 1:1 pixel mapping in their graphics card controllers. However, it means you have problems with other inputs such as gaming consoles, DVD players or BD players, none of which output 1920x1200.

Soldato
If a monitor does not have 1:1 pixel mapping or aspect ratio stretching then it will simply stretch any input to its native resolution, distorting the picture. This isn't usually a problem with PCs because AFAIK both nVidia and ATI have options for 1:1 pixel mapping in their graphics card controllers. However, it means you have problems with other inputs such as gaming consoles, DVD players or BD players, none of which output 1920x1200.

Sounds about right.

That monitor is hard to come across in stock at the moment.

Associate
come on give us some sexy pictures of it :p
i can get for 2200 nok aka 235 gbp its a great bargin here when most of the 22" are TN

Soldato
I read and can see the screen is deep to the front of the bezel by 8mm, do reflections bother users?
How much better is this E-IPS tech compared to my TN 226BW?

Back
Top Bottom