dell 2405 and 2407

Associate
Apart from the anitglare and the quicker response time on the 2407 is there any difference. Also gibbo says in his 2407 thread that the 2407 runs dvds at full screen. The 2405 has the black lines top and bottom which really annoys me. Does the 2407 use the whole screen?

Man of Honour
ted34 said:
Apart from the anitglare and the quicker response time on the 2407 is there any difference. Also gibbo says in his 2407 thread that the 2407 runs dvds at full screen. The 2405 has the black lines top and bottom which really annoys me. Does the 2407 use the whole screen?

there's no antiglare coating on the 2407WFP, but the changes are:
- new design, 6ms G2G response time, DHCP support over DVI....that's it! :)

DVD's will still have black borders as they are a different aspect ratio to the screen. The screen remains the same size and ratio as the 2405FPW so no change there. You can always use software to "zoom" in on DVD's to remove the borders at the cost of losing some content down the sides as well

Man of Honour
eatmuchpie said:
lol, think that is HDCP. (DHCP is a system for automated configuration of IP addresses in a network ;) ) Happens to us all

lol, yeah was early morning when i wrote that!! :D I meant HDCP :p

Associate
OP
Baddass said:
there's no antiglare coating on the 2407WFP, but the changes are:
- new design, 6ms G2G response time, DHCP support over DVI....that's it! :)

DVD's will still have black borders as they are a different aspect ratio to the screen. The screen remains the same size and ratio as the 2405FPW so no change there. You can always use software to "zoom" in on DVD's to remove the borders at the cost of losing some content down the sides as well

Thats what i thought but after reading gibbos post quoted below it says that dvds can run in natural format and there is an antiglare. Would be really good if dvds could run full screen as thats main annoyance with 2405

Gibbo said:
The Dell UltraSharp 2407WFP 24-Inch Widescreen Flat Panel LCD Monitor is a wide aspect desktop display that redefines the performance of LCD displays with a stylish Dell industrial design, and advanced functionality. With the UltraSharp 2407WFP monitor, you can watch DVDs in natural format, run multiple applications simultaneously and improve productivity with less scrolling and toggling. Featuring enhanced features such as the 15-Pin D-Sub, DVI-D with HDCP support, S-Video, Composite and Component Connectors, as well as 4x Integrated powered USB 2.0 ports and a 9-in-2 Media Card Reader, the UltraSharp 2407WFP monitor gives users convenient access to plug in many different devices such as media cards, digital cameras and other electronic devices. It also supports advanced features such as anti-glare with hard-coating 3H and can be activated with a touch of a button on the front of the display. With an integrated height adjustment stand, users can adjust the display to their exact comfort level and help reduce eye and neck strain

Man of Honour
right i see what you mean now. With regards to the coating, i think it just means there is the standard Anti Reflective coating as with other "matt" finish TFT's, as opposed to OptiClear / X Black type reflective screens. Confusing with it even mentioning that, they don;t normally bother. I think what it means by watching DVD's in their proper format is that it's a WS monitor as opposed to 4:3 ratio, that's about it though

Associate
macachia said:
apparently not (for some strange reason its limited to 720)

wow thats a deal breaker for me personally.

i wonder why the hell a firm would make a screen with that res and not add 1080p compatibility?? seems like one hell of a waste.

i mean thats what our graphics cards output near enough......a 1920x1200 progressive picture.

and what with blu ray coming out along with the likes of ps3....

Mud

Mud

Soldato
For the record the Toshiba 42WL66 and 47WL66 HDTVs have a 1920x1080 resolution but don't support 1080p. The 1:1 pixel matching of a 1080i feed is supposed to be better than scaling 1080i down to WXGA...The 2407 doesn't do 1080i though?

Man of Honour
ted34 said:
How much longer you reckon until dead 2405's get replaced by 2407's on warranty by dell?

pretty impossible to say. We might see a few 2405FPW magically start breaking when this does happen though :p

Associate
OP
Baddass said:
pretty impossible to say. We might see a few 2405FPW magically start breaking when this does happen though :p

Dell will have to stock up on new fuses for the plugs and a fair few will magically work again

Soldato
I have my PC running at 1920 x 1200 on my 2405, presumably when in desktop mode this is progressive rather than interlaced. I see no reason that from a PC it shouldn't be able to play 1080p material. From component it migh be different though. HDCP compatability is going to be the major advantage of the 2407 for anyone serious about HD content. I don't see why an upscaling DVD player or future blu ray players couldn't also play content (HDCP that is) at full res.

Back
Top Bottom