Dell 2407 This week only Price!!! :O (DELL 2407WFP dropped in price!!!)

Soldato
To be fair, Badass did say in another thread a couple of days back that they only had 60 left to go, and they would be getting more in but at a more expensive price.

What can you do if you only have a set amount? Do you lose then lose money on the deal when you have to source more expensive units?

I can see it from the point of view of people who only get paid tody though, it can be incredibly irritating.

I would say ernymuntz it has gone up £25 but it's still a good price for a very good (by all accounts) piece of kit...don't you think it's still worth it in the long term? Your anger will fade in a couple days but in three years you will still have the monitor.

Associate
OP
Theres really no reason to hold off "until you get paid", for an item that you know is at a good price and wont stay there long. Thats what credit cards are for!

It going up this week should spur you on when theres another item on TWO, which is what businesses like OcUK want. Im not saying that what Gibbo did is the right thing, but if I ran a business and just sold nearly all the stock, then ofcourse I'd up the price - TWO Price or not, it doesnt make a difference. TWO was me being kind to the customers in the first place!

And about dead pixels, I havnt read one report of a screen arriving with a dead pixel in the last week. So that should be enough but you never know, youre's could be the one :D

Soldato
My point was that a lot of people already finance their lives on credit cards. They may not be able to afford to buy anything big on the cards until they are paid for the month and can pay off their existing card amount.

Associate
I've got no problem with OCUK changing prices up and down on normal products. But if a product is on an offer in "This Week Only". Then it should stay at the same price all week.

That is just common buisness etiquette.

They can charge what they like, just I looked last night and it was £516 and now its £540.

"This Week Only" - implies a set price all week, not a fluctuating offer.

Maybe it should be called "Items at varying levels of cheapness all week"

Just abit gutted as I was after one :(

Oh well.

Associate
Gutted the price has gone up, I was going to stretch to £516 and order this morning.

I agree that I was also expecting the price to stay the same all week, please can we have the price changed back?

Last edited:
Soldato
Mate of mine has one of these bad boys and I'm very close to purchasing one, although I have an NEC MultiSync 20WGX2 and I love that too.....

Maybe I'll wait until next year May/June time I bet the price will be closer to £350.00 then......maybe :D

Associate
Took delivery of mine today. God, this thing is BIG. Incredible display quality, games & movies are amazing.

NO dead pixels or sub-pixels, thankfully /wipes sweat off brow

Gripes:
- Does not "click" into place when set on its stand, which means the stand stays on the desk if I lift the screen up. Yet, it has a button to unlock it on the back.
- Adjusting the height took some practice (you have to push it DOWN to unlock it, then let it spring up).
- The first thing I noticed when I opened the box - there's a VGA cable included with the DVI cable - but unlike the DVI, the VGA cable appears to be stuck to something.... You guessed it, it's attached to the monitor. The thumbscrews could not be loosened by hand and I didn't have a screwdriver handy, but I really hope it can be detached. Pointless permanently-attached cables make me a sad geek :( Especially when I just shelled out for a top-of-the-range model.

From the looks of things, it looks like I was lucky and ordered just before the price hike. Overall I'm very happy with it, though I hope the screwdriver effectively removes that VGA cable. If it doesn't I'll have to resist the urge to reach for the sidecutters...

Associate
Don't panic about the VGA cable.

Mine arrived this morning as well, and I was suprised to see the VGA cable attached, but rest assured it comes off!

Again, the only issues I have so far are with the stand being slightly wonky, but haven't tried the fix from another thread yet which apparently sorts it. Mine is locked into place at the lowest position and getting it to release is a bugger.

Didn't come with a power cord though....if I hadn't got some lying around then I wouldn't have been very happy.

Soldato
ernysmuntz said:
"This Week Only" - implies a set price all week, not a fluctuating offer.
Agreed it's a bit naughty, but Gibbo did say the current stock didn't look like it would last the whole week and that the new stock coming in would be sold at a higher price, so the warning was there. I suspect I would be equally annoyed in the same position though, enough to look for a better deal.

Associate
Are a lot of people happy with this for response times in games? I have a Sony 19" x-black, lovely for general use and dvd's but good god it is bad in games, especially going from black to other colours. (This is my only experience of LCD monitors). Is this type of thing noticeable on the Dell?
Heard lots of good things about the NEC 20" but I've looked at 20" widescreens and they feel small compared to the 19" 4:3, so 24" is where its at.

Soldato
What response time is the X-Black? When I bought my 2007WFP (note:not 2407) I went from an old 25 ms Samsung PVA panel to the 8 ms GTG of the 2007WFP (2407WFP is 6ms GTG) and all that blurring and trails the 25 ms screen used to do, especially around black areas, were all completely gone on the new screen. There might be a touch of loss of focus on quickly moving textures, but that's about it.

Soldato
fish99 said:
Agreed it's a bit naughty, but Gibbo did say the current stock didn't look like it would last the whole week and that the new stock coming in would be sold at a higher price, so the warning was there. I suspect I would be equally annoyed in the same position though, enough to look for a better deal.

You have to remember that not everyone reads the forums. If you were browsing the site and it said that price was for this week only you would not expect it too change mid week.

Associate
On the Sony I think it has a 12ms GTG. Half Life 2, was really a problem on it. Battlefield 2 seemed fine. In Oblivion, at dusk waiting at the gate to the Arena and moving left to right you could quite easily see the old image of the gate - thats just to point out where this problem is extremely bad.

fish99 said:
What response time is the X-Black? When I bought my 2007WFP (note:not 2407) I went from an old 25 ms Samsung PVA panel to the 8 ms GTG of the 2007WFP (2407WFP is 6ms GTG) and all that blurring and trails the 25 ms screen used to do, especially around black areas, were all completely gone on the new screen. There might be a touch of loss of focus on quickly moving textures, but that's about it.

Associate
Frank Grimes said:
Are a lot of people happy with this for response times in games? I have a Sony 19" x-black, lovely for general use and dvd's but good god it is bad in games, especially going from black to other colours. (This is my only experience of LCD monitors). Is this type of thing noticeable on the Dell?
Heard lots of good things about the NEC 20" but I've looked at 20" widescreens and they feel small compared to the 19" 4:3, so 24" is where its at.

Well, I've been playing fear, half life 2 and oblivion on it (all in 1920x1600 res via a crossfire setup) and have not noticed any blurring, smearing or anything as yet. I am leaving it in "desktop" mode all the time though - I don't bother with the other modes, as they seem to just introduce picture processing artifacts/banding?

Pleasantly surprised just how good it is to be honest, as I went from a high quality 21" crt to it, and was expecting a compromise of sorts. :D

Associate
OMG!!!

Have been playing around all morning with mine. Photoshop and Indesign are a breeze with this thanks to the bigger working area, I can have all sorts of apps open at the same time and they all feel like they are at a useable size.

The display is beautifully vibrant, no dead pixels that I can see or banding (I only need the desktop mode), and the colour reproduction, etc out of the box are a lot better than I was expecting.

Just played Call of Duty 2 (the only game I have installed on my newest PC that can natively do 1920 x 1200) at full res with everything at max, and it is stunning. :cool:

The stand is my only criticism as it is slightly skewif, but I expected that and can put it right.

You would have to pry this from my dead, cold, stiff fingers to send it back.

The much written about faults with this set will not affect me as it is just a PC monitor, and whilst I am sure that other 24 inchers may be just as good or better, for £500 this is awesome. :D

OcUK Staff
michael baxter said:
Gibbo,

Can we have the Dell back to yesterdays price, just for today? We're all a bit disgruntled, and it is Christmas.

Michael

Nope.

The product has gone into massive constraint. DELL have no more stock, our stock is now fresh stock we order some two weeks ago at a higher price. When the special end these will be going up to well over £500+VAT due to huge constraint issues.

I did warn the price would only last as long as we had cheap stock. The fact is you still save over £50 from the normal price and as when the price goes back up it will in fact be more like £529+VAT your actually saving a lot of money.

We knew this would be sucessful hence why I told you all not to hang around, I always try to make sure you guys get the best deal.

As it is Christmas if a forums member wants the old price you can have, ring our sales department and inform the sales guy that GIBBO says the £439.99+VAT is confirmed, once they check with me they will allow the sale to go through. :)

Soldato
Wow, that is amazingly generous!

I bought mine just before the price went up (got it at 1:30AM...I wonder how many hours I was ahead of the deadline by)...

But that's fantastic - you just don't get that with other companies, actual interaction with the guys that can make things happen....good on you Gibbo.

I hope Overclockers have a great Christmas and new year

*very impressed*

Back
Top Bottom