Dell 3 year replacement Warranty Not Worth Owt...

Associate
Joined
23 Oct 2004
Posts
1,878
Location
East Riding of Yorkshire
I bought a 2405FPW nearly 3 years ago now with the 3 year replacement warranty from a reseller. Now I have contacted Dell and asked about how to get it replaced since it decided to explode recently. They asked for the order number which I got from the label on the side of the box and the name of the reseller with their purchase order number too.

Unfortunately, the PO of the reseller applies to an order of 75 units and now Dell are asking me to contact the reseller and ask for the specific order number relating to the monitor that was sold to me.

Next thing is, it looks like the reseller are no longer trading and will not return any of my correspondances.

What can I do now? Even Dell are not returning my emails asking what I can do. I established that I bought the monitor (and not some kook just trying to get a monitor replaced) which Dell confirmed and gave them all the info that they asked for yet they still are holding back replacing my monitor.

Has anyone else used the replacement warranty and what information was required? This has drawn out over 2 months now and its gettin old fast.
 
Soldato
Joined
6 Sep 2006
Posts
6,223
Location
London
Just make sure you keep a record of your correspondence with them. You'll need it to prove that the damage occurred before the 3 year warranty ran out. Personally I'd try ringing them personally, if the person there can't help you then you demand to be put through to someone who can.
 
Soldato
Joined
19 May 2005
Posts
4,548
Location
Glasgow, Rock City.
If the monitor is out of warranty and call has not been logged before the warranty expired, we (Dell) won't replace it since it's clearly out of warranty.

If you give us the serial number of the monitor we then should be able to bring up the order number directly.

If you call Dell directly, someone should be able to sort it for you or at least give some kind of resolution. (Unfortunately I don't have a direct dial number so you couldn't really contact me about it...).
 
Associate
Joined
30 May 2006
Posts
266
Do you have the original box to hand the Dell works order number is on the Dell Packing label on the outer box

if not Dell can look up the works order number from the Serial number although you will need to confirm the company name you bought it from
 
Soldato
Joined
19 May 2005
Posts
4,548
Location
Glasgow, Rock City.
Do you have the original box to hand the Dell works order number is on the Dell Packing label on the outer box

if not Dell can look up the works order number from the Serial number although you will need to confirm the company name you bought it from

That's wht I just said. Because I work for Dell :p.
 
Associate
Joined
23 Oct 2004
Posts
1,878
Location
East Riding of Yorkshire
I have provided Dell with the works order number and the Reseller's original purchase order number so they know what order I am referring to - it's just that apparently because the order was for 75 monitors they do not know which one was mine!

**EDIT**

Woody, I appreciate you can't do anything about it personally but was wondering if you can see anything relating to these details:


> Customer Purchase Order: P2P ETRADE
> Work Order: 333486162
> Dell 2405FPW 24" TFT Monitor
> Date of Manufacture: August 2005
> Label with: 5M5G19206E on it
> Another label with: HU-0M6754-46633-58M-OUDS F on it
> Revision A01

Would there be any further info needed for Dell? I have deliberately left the reseller's name out of the details as per forum rules.
 
Last edited:
Soldato
Joined
19 May 2005
Posts
4,548
Location
Glasgow, Rock City.
Was it an order for 75 monitors of the same kind, of 75 different monitors? The reason I ask is because if it is the former, then that's ok. If it's the latter, I can see the confusion.

For me, that'd be all the information that I need in order to ascertain what monitor it is, the order number, and I'd be shown the reseller which I would then confirm on the phone with you. August 05 means that it'll be out of warranty now for sure and as such, it wouldn't be replaced.

HOWEVER, there are special circumstances on which it can be replaced. If it exploded, as you said, and there was/is a lot of smoke from it, sparks and/or flames, that's a different issue entirely regardless of warranty...
 
Associate
Joined
23 Oct 2004
Posts
1,878
Location
East Riding of Yorkshire
I have the e-receipt which shows it bought on 15th November 2005 so still within the 3 years from purchase isnt it? The original email was sent to Dell on 7th August altho it happened before then.
 
Last edited:
Soldato
Joined
19 May 2005
Posts
4,548
Location
Glasgow, Rock City.
I have the e-receipt which shows it bought on 15th November 2005 so still within the 3 years from purchase isnt it? The original email was sent to Dell on 7th August altho it happened before then.

It depends. The monitor was built in August 05. They're actually build from scratch when ordered, so there is a really high chance that the actual order it's self is invoiced in August or September.

This is speculation though. I can't say too much about it, and I can't really check it now I'm at home so it may well be that the reseller bought in November. We often find that resellers order a bunch and then sell them on for months afterwards. So, for example, they may have received the order in September, but you didn't buy til November. We wouldn't replace any time after 3 years from the invoice date. The period after that until 3 years from when you purchased from the reseller, would be up to the reseller to replace....

In essence, the Dell order date and the resellers order date will not coincide. The monitor be less than 3 years old from your point of view, but from Dells point of view it may not.
 
Last edited:
Soldato
Joined
19 May 2005
Posts
4,548
Location
Glasgow, Rock City.
Have a word with trading standards

No dice. If the OP bought the monitor in November 05, but the order was placed with Dell and received in August 05, Dell are not, and cannot be responsible for the fact that this company has sold on some monitors with a 3 year warranty and expect us to honour it when the warranty with Dell has expired. It's actually quite clearly stated in the Terms and Conditions too.
 
Soldato
Joined
19 May 2005
Posts
4,548
Location
Glasgow, Rock City.
I also want to say that I know the processes and stuff, yeah. But I wouldn't take my word as gospel here. I'm saying this for obvious reasons, I think. I just don't want anyone charging in going "But I read on this forum" because that stuff gets you much less further than you might think, regardless of me being an employee in short.

In short, I'm just a VERY WELL INFORMED individual offering an OPINION ;)
 
Permabanned
Joined
22 Jul 2008
Posts
194
Surely the 3 year warranty is from when the end user recieves and registers the monitor!
What you appear to be saying is that if a reseller buys a Dell monitor and takes 3-4 months to sell it that the customer then only has 2 years and 8/9 months warranty instead of 3?!!? Thats not right!
If that was the case then NO ONE can advertise 3 years warranty on anything!! They would be done for false advertising as they would need to sell the component on the day they receive it into the warehouse for the customer to actually get 3 years!
 
Last edited:
Associate
Joined
23 Oct 2004
Posts
1,878
Location
East Riding of Yorkshire
I want to thank Woody for taking the time to reply to my query :) I shall look to call Dell tomorrow when I am at work - I assume the number is on the site somewhere!
 
Soldato
Joined
19 May 2005
Posts
4,548
Location
Glasgow, Rock City.
Surely the 3 year warranty is from when the end user recieves and registers the monitor!
What you appear to be saying is that if a reseller buys a Dell monitor and takes 3-4 months to sell it that the customer then only has 2 years and 8/9 months warranty instead of 3?!!? Thats not right!
If that was the case then NO ONE can advertise 3 years warranty on anything!! They would be done for false advertising as they would need to sell the component on the day they receive it into the warehouse for the customer to actually get 3 years!

It's 3 years from the date the monitor/system is received by the customer. If a reseller takes months to sell something, that's not Dells problem. The warranty clearly states that it's 3 years from when the customer receives the goods. The system used by Dell has the date of the warranty starting from when the customer receives the product. On some products there is a 14 day grace period. If someone decides to buy from a reseller who's had it sitting in a warehouse for 3 or 4 months since the purchase, then that's not really Dells problem, as far as their concerned. The period between when the Dell warranty runs out, right up until 3 years from the date of when the end user received the goods, should be covered by the reseller because it will not be covered by Dell.

So, basically, what you said is correct. The reseller would have to sell the goods on the day it was received in order for a customer to take advantage of the complete warranty period. As I said, this is all stated in the terms and conditions.
 
Last edited:
Associate
Joined
15 May 2006
Posts
495
Just a quick note in deffence of dell monitor warranty team, they were excellent, ive gave them my serial number, told them i purchased from overclockers, and they sent a courier out within less than 24 hours.

Now i know the above case isnt so quite cut and dry, but i was very pleased to find the call was handed from offshore, to onshore by a VERY helpfull young man!
I was expecting to getting stuck in translation but was pleasently surprised!! :D
 
Soldato
Joined
24 Feb 2003
Posts
8,520
Bear in mind, in this case, the reseller is actually the customer as far as Dell is concerned, weather they are the final user or not does not matter, they are the customer who purchased the items from Dell and thus the warrenty is based on this. Also bear in mind, that Dell mainly sell their stuff direct, although I see that more resellers are starting to appear now, so if you had bought it from Dell directly you would be their direct customer and thus would have the full warrenty.
 
Associate
Joined
23 Oct 2004
Posts
1,878
Location
East Riding of Yorkshire
> Customer Purchase Order: P2P ETRADE
> Work Order: 333486162
> Dell 2405FPW 24" TFT Monitor
> Date of Manufacture: August 2005
> Label with: 5M5G19206E on it
> Another label with: HU-0M6754-46633-58M-OUDS F on it
> Revision A01

Any idea which of the two labels above is the serial number?
 
Top Bottom