**DELL 30" IS BACK - NEW U3014 IN STOCK FIRST AT OcUK!!**

Associate
Mine arrived this morning, and I've just got it setup in place of my trusty 5 year old 3008. Very, very first impressions:

ZOMG my retinas. (it's bright, very bright)
Smart Video Enhance needs to go die in a fire (I thought my display was faulty)
Contrast ratio is good, much better than the 3008
Lag on game mode, well I'll let you know if I manage to spot any, amazingly responsive so far.
Titan refresh rate overclocking only went as high as 66Hz :(

It was much, much better calibrated out of the box compared to the 3008, that was very washed out and really required hard core calibrating to get the best out of it. This, I just knocked the brightness down to 27 and made some very small tweaks to the RGB values.

I'll post some more once I have had more time to fiddle with it.

Oh and being a top end Ultrasharp, it had zero pixel defects and nothing at all trapped behind the screen.

Last edited:
Associate
Mine arrived this afternoon.

It was actually bigger than I expected - I've got it in front of my 37in tv and it seems to be around 1.5 inches smaller diagonally on each corner.

(1) Extremely bright as layte said.

(2) Initially had a few problems getting some of the connections to work - hdmi wouldn't work till I switched cables (typical!); finally managed to connect pc via dvi.

(3) PS3 tried god of war hd (720p) and wipeout hd (1080p) and both looked great with no discernible lag.

(4) Did get some weird green interference patterns at some point but restarted the pc and it was fine. Running a Gigabyte 7970 and ubuntu 12.04.

(5) Extra screen space over a 1080p display is awesome and the much sharper display makes a big difference everywhere - specially for editing files for coding etc.

(6) A quick switch input would be handy...but there is pip which is some compensation (albeit it only seems to work with display port).

(7) No defects or issues so far - but the onscreen controls can be a bit sticky.
And getting the cables in is quite irritating unless you have long fingers and flexible wrists - neither of which apply to me!

Anyone know how the sound output works? I've got mine going into my receiver but nothing is coming through.

Overall very impressive!

Associate
Mine arrived this morning, and I've just got it setup in place of my trusty 5 year old 3008. Very, very first impressions:

ZOMG my retinas. (it's bright, very bright)
Smart Video Enhance needs to go die in a fire (I thought my display was faulty)
Contrast ratio is good, much better than the 3008
Lag on game mode, well I'll let you know if I manage to spot any, amazingly responsive so far.
Titan refresh rate overclocking only went as high as 66Hz :(

It was much, much better calibrated out of the box compared to the 3008, that was very washed out and really required hard core calibrating to get the best out of it. This, I just knocked the brightness down to 27 and made some very small tweaks to the RGB values.

I'll post some more once I have had more time to fiddle with it.

Oh and being a top end Ultrasharp, it had zero pixel defects and nothing at all trapped behind the screen.

Mine arrived this afternoon.

It was actually bigger than I expected - I've got it in front of my 37in tv and it seems to be around 1.5 inches smaller diagonally on each corner.

(1) Extremely bright as layte said.

(2) Initially had a few problems getting some of the connections to work - hdmi wouldn't work till I switched cables (typical!); finally managed to connect pc via dvi.

(3) PS3 tried god of war hd (720p) and wipeout hd (1080p) and both looked great with no discernible lag.

(4) Did get some weird green interference patterns at some point but restarted the pc and it was fine. Running a Gigabyte 7970 and ubuntu 12.04.

(5) Extra screen space over a 1080p display is awesome and the much sharper display makes a big difference everywhere - specially for editing files for coding etc.

(6) A quick switch input would be handy...but there is pip which is some compensation (albeit it only seems to work with display port).

(7) No defects or issues so far - but the onscreen controls can be a bit sticky.
And getting the cables in is quite irritating unless you have long fingers and flexible wrists - neither of which apply to me!

Anyone know how the sound output works? I've got mine going into my receiver but nothing is coming through.

Overall very impressive!

thanks for these guys -

btw hows the ag coating? not too bad? -
what about playing games as compared to playing on a glossy screen? -
did I read that right you have a pc and ps3 hooked up to it? - can you switch relatively easily via controls?
I'm wondering how the new LG panel is compared to the old ones (;ayte how do you compare it to your 3008? anything else to ad?)

Associate
thanks for these guys -

btw hows the ag coating? not too bad? -

It's fine albeit I'm in a fairly dark room with the monitor in front of a permanently curtained window!

what about playing games as compared to playing on a glossy screen? -

I haven't tried any pc games - will try out bioshock infinite tonight.

did I read that right you have a pc and ps3 hooked up to it? - can you switch relatively easily via controls?

Yes I have pc via dvi-dl and ps3 via hdmi (also got ps3 via hdmi-dvi working
fine) - couldn't get mini dp to dp working with my 7970 but my card is a bit loose due to the retraction thingy haven broken off so it may have been due to that.

Takes 4 steps to change input:

(1) Click on menu.
(2) Select input source option.
(3) Scroll up or down to input source.
(4) Select the tick to switch source.

A bit slow but in practice not too bad.

I am thinking of getting a new AV receiver with hdmi switching and then use a hdmi to dl dvi cable - in theory should work since the newer receivers support 4k - and then just use the remote on the receiver to switch outputs which would be much faster.

It also has pip but this only seems to work with dp.

Associate
Hmmm..

I've started to notice some very nasty ghosting in certain situations. It is especially noticeable with a white mouse cursor over a light grey background.

Associate
That would be overshoot caused by excessive overdrive. The TFTCentral review goes into quite some detail on the subject. Unfortunately there is no option to disable.

Soldato
. Unfortunately there is no option to disable.
What about putting it in the 'game' preset mode ??

When switching to the 'game' preset mode we were very pleasantly surprised by the results. The screen goes blank for about 1.5 seconds when you switch to this mode and it seems that a pretty much all of the signal processing is removed, presumably through bypassing of the internal electronics to a large degree. We measured an overall display lag now of only 3.2ms, and so accounting for the response time element we can assume that the signal processing is very low indeed, next to nothing (~0.0ms) which was excellent. This game mode provides an overall lag which can be graded as CLASS 1 as described above and should be fine for gamers.
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u3014.htm

Associate
Overshoot isn't lag, it's an aggressive over voltage of the pixels to force them to change state quicker. The results in faster pixel response times at the expense of what can be thought of as reverse ghosting.

Associate
Dell's response to the overdrive issue..
dell%20doesnt%20care.JPG

Sigh, I guess I'll wait for the inevitable Rev A01 and get this one swapped out.

Associate
Dell's response to the overdrive issue..
dell%20doesnt%20care.JPG

Sigh, I guess I'll wait for the inevitable Rev A01 and get this one swapped out.

Haven't noticed this myself - but my eyes are 42 years old (with contacts) so perhaps one of those benefits of ageing!

It took a few days for the eyes to get used to the higher resolution but now I love it and wouldn't use anything else.

Bioshock Infinite at 2560x1600 with everything (and I mean everything) maxed out runs like a dream. The colours and smoothness are just incredible.

I'm running this on a stock 3770k (yeah I know should oc it and I've got a NH-D14) and a Gigabyte Windforce 7970 and with vsync on it runs butter smooth all the time.

Best purchase I've made in years!!!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
people making a fairly big deal of the overdrive issues. People need to remember this isn't a gaming screen at all, and its not like it wasnt covered in reviews and people weren't warned either. It affects all the new U series (U2413, U2713H, U3014) monitors to a similar degree, and even the S series (S2440L, S2740) screens had overshoot problems too. The older U series (U2412M, U2312HM, U2212HM) had issues as well, so it's been a while where we've had overshoot problems on Dell's screens.

Can't imagine they will do much to address it, other than MAYBE make an option available to disable it completely, but then people just as likely to complain about slow response times and blurring instead.

My suggestion if you want a Dells screen suitable for gaming would be to look at the U2713HM or U2913HM which were both very good with very minimal overdrive problems. The new U2713H/U2413/U3014 should be considered for other uses as they are intended really

Associate
Gaming isn't a problem. The overdrive issue rears its head in normal day to day desktop use, and unfortunately for me it's very noticeable. :(

Associate
Could be. I'll get it swapped out by Dell as I cannot imagine it got through testing if they are all like mine. I'll try and get a video of what its like but unfortunately I only have a 4s and nexus4 for camera duty.

Man of Honour
I would try an RMA. Like i say, using one in front of me now and in day to day general use i don't see any real problems. the testing with the oscilloscope and motion tests revealed the overshoot problems

Back
Top Bottom