**DELL 30" IS BACK - NEW U3014 IN STOCK FIRST AT OcUK!!**

Associate
Hello
Bought a U3014 on the 17th May to replace a Hazro from OCuk.
The Hazro is a good 30” monitor for £700 (even more so as it has been reduced to £500) but there was something about the colours/refresh that gave me headaches. OCuk were excellent with a return and refund.

The first U3014 had a cluster of dead pixels and Dell Support arranged a new replacement very quickly. For a short time two U3014 on one desk – very impressive.

With the new one there are no dead pixels and the backlight bleed (only noticeable when there is no DVI cable connected/powered off) is much less than the first U3014. The colours on both were noticeably superior to the Hazro. Good quality pictures just seem to come to life – even my wife noticed. Had to adjust the brightness/contrast down to about 70%.

For layte – I can not see any mouse ghosting on the Dell webpage.

The big problem I expected is the resolution and my GPU. Currently have an [email protected] with a Radeon 6970 and a Dell 24” 2408, so my plan was to increase RAM/Overclock the
i7/upgrade the GPU. Looking at FRAPS:

Dell 2408 Dell 2408 Dell3014 Dell3014
8Gb RAM 12Gb RAM 12Gb RAM O/C to 3.8
Metro 2030 20 25 21 30
Heaven 34 34 25 27
Valley 51 52 30 32

The big surprise was the marked difference a 50% increase in RAM gave.

Overclocking from 3.6 to 3.8 does not seem to make a big difference, so I’ll step back to 3.6 for a cooler every day setting. Have a GTX780 on my desk from OCuk, so once I’ve reset the BIOS to 3.6 I can play with my new toy.

Have played Metro 2030 and Last Light for about 30 hours on the U3014, and Crysis 2/Boishock Infinite. Despite my poor old HD6970 I’ve enjoyed every minute and can recommend the U3014 for gaming.

Can anyone suggest why my U3014 occasionally refuses to wake up from sleep? Been doing multiple restarts recently going straight to BIOS, and the U3014 sometimes just shows sleep mode. I know the PC is booting, so when I hear the bleep I press ‘DEL’, but the only way to get the display to wake up is to switch it off and on again? Odd.

Last edited:
Associate
Just for reference, the U3014 can go as high as a whopping 61 Hz overclock. At 62 Hz and higher it drops frames even though it will accept a higher frequency.

Awesome AR film on these. My customers monitor was defective and had a line of dead pixels down the entire length of the screen. Poor quality control from Dell.

Associate
Hi.

I keep looking at these monitors... Just want to ensure I get an A03 model, which seems to address some of the issues... Has anyone brought one of these in the last few weeks? And if so what revision model have you received?

Associate
I've had mine since June, a Rev.02 model manufactured in April, and had no problems at all. Love the size, picture quality and great for games in game mode.

Hi.

I keep looking at these monitors... Just want to ensure I get an A03 model, which seems to address some of the issues... Has anyone brought one of these in the last few weeks? And if so what revision model have you received?

Associate
One of these I reckon, 16:10 is so much better than 16:9. Great picture quality and responsive for games. I had the Dell U2711 before this and could never go back to a letterbox.

Associate
Hi.

Just an update... I brought one in the end ;):)
I got a deal direct from Dell so went with them on this occasion. I expected to get an A03 model dealing with them direct. However guess what? I got a A02 model manfactured date July 2013.
I was concerned but took the plunge opened the box and set it up..
Apart from some slight bleeding in the lower right corner. I am very very happy with the monitor. I was able to recreate the overshoot problem, but only after checking out youtube, to see how I would do this.. And I have not seen any other issues mentioned and I am very happy so far with my purchase. Just wish I could have gone ahead and just brought it in the first place, without all the issues being reported. I am sure this is not good for Dell.
Anyway's like I say very very happy with this monitor the extra space is great and the resolution is cool. Funny thing is I am still using my dell 24 inch as a secondary display.. Might have to end up getting a 3rd display ;)
So anyone thinking about buying one, I would say go for it.
I think 4K is great, but it is early days and this will last me for a good few years, and then by then I think 4K will be affordable and the hardware will be around too at an affordable price..

Associate
Just make sure it's in Game mode for gaming, which usually happens automatically if you have the manager loaded.

Image in game mode is not quite as good as other modes but all the electronics are bypassed to reduce lag.

Associate
i got this monitor too. not sure what rec i have but i have absolutely no banding issues or overshoot issues at all. its flawless.

i still have my dell 214inch but dont have space to use both LOL

Hi Jonneymendoza.
The version number is on the back next to the serial number.

The only way I was able to see the RTC overshoot was to copy this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQEnc1ex3P0

But bar that I see no issues, and have not seen this in action on any work I do..

Be interesting to see if you have an A03.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom