Dell announces 32" 8k monitor for $4,999

Associate
http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/5/14098224/dell-up3218k-8k-computer-monitor-price-features-ces-2017

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3155...ch-8k-display-the-ultrasharp-32-ultra-hd.html

"32-inch, 8K desktop monitor with 1.07 billion colors, aluminum construction, 100 percent coverage of the AdobeRGB and sRGB color gamuts, and a monster $4,999 price. The UP3218K has a resolution of 7680 x 4320 (for a pixel density of 280ppi), which is as many pixels as you’d get from four 4K displays or 16 Full HD panels"

and rather surprisingly....

"The $4,999 UP3218K goes on sale on March 23rd"

A bargain!

Last edited:
Caporegime
Aren't there major issues with programs and app/games not working properly with ultrawides though?

Nope.

The only people that seem to keep saying that there is little to no support are the ones who don't own an ultrawide monitor in the first place :p

95% of the stuff I do on my 21.9 monitor works superbly and any game that hasn't supported 21.9 has been easily fixed with a simple click of a button via flawless widescreen or going through a config file to change a few lines. AFAIK, there is only one game that has awful 21.9 support and that is overwatch (developers seem to think that it adds a competitive advantage yet their other games have 21.9 support...)

The game that was the biggest faff to get 21.9 working was fallout 4 as you have to go through about 4-6 config files to get proper 21.9 support.

Personally, the only way I will move back to a 16.9 display for my PC is for OLED tech or possibly a HDR with full array zone back lights...

As for 8k, lol... we are still at least 1-2 years of until we can play games at 4k with a consistent 60 FPS and satisfactory settings....

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Aren't there major issues with programs and app/games not working properly with ultrawides though?

Yea. Quite a few games released in 2016 did not seem to get day one support. People end up having to look for a work around. But mostly it works these days. It is still pretty niche. But like all things, once you like it, you may not want to go back.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
As for 8k, lol... we are still at least 1-2 years of until we can play games at 4k with a consistent 60 FPS and satisfactory settings....

I am happy to play 30fps if it means better graphics. But not sure how much of a leap there will be going from 4K to 8K in games.

Most likely I will end up staying with 4K for a long time. A lot of games going forward will be optimised for that resolution and with my next upgrade I should be able to get 60fps easily with tweaking settings :D

Associate
OP
Yea. Quite a few games released in 2016 did not seem to get day one support. People end up having to look for a work around. But mostly it works these days. It is still pretty niche. But like all things, once you like it, you may not want to go back.

Yeah, seems a shame that 21:9 isn't supported on release. I still see that Netflix doesn't support 21:9 natively, yet amazon video does. So odd.

Caporegime

Most of 2016 was very good for game support on day 1.

Back when I got mine in middle of 2014, game support was very patchy and due to 21.9 being relatively new, you weren't able to fix issues with certain games but it picked up in 2015 with more fixes becoming available and drastically improved in 2016 with the vast majority of games having very good support and if not, it was pretty much guaranteed that there was a fix out there. Some developers have even gone back and updated their games to include 21.9 support too.

Given the popularity of 21.9 now, I think the lack of 21.9 support on day 1 will be a thing of the past (someone posted a steam survey image several months back and iirc 2560x1080 + 3440x1440 had overtaken 4k res. users)

And yes, it is hard looking at any 16.9 display when you have used 21.9 for quite a while, everything looks so squashed on 16.9 :p

I am happy to play 30fps if it means better graphics. But not sure how much of a leap there will be going from 4K to 8K in games.

Most likely I will end up staying with 4K for a long time. A lot of games going forward will be optimised for that resolution and with my next upgrade I should be able to get 60fps easily with tweaking settings :D

Horses for courses, personally I can't stick anything lower than 50 fps on PC :p

I would say it depends entirely on the person and the distance they sit from certain sized displays.

With the introduction of 4K HDR monitors and pretty much every relatively new TV having 4K as standard now, I think this will be 4k's year to really shine though!

EDIT:

Yeah, seems a shame that 21:9 isn't supported on release. I still see that Netflix doesn't support 21:9 natively, yet amazon video does. So odd.

There are multiple extensions for chrome and firefox to add 21.9 support for netflix etc.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I am aware of that. But you shouldn't need to use a third-party extension just to watch video at the correct aspect ratio. It should just work on ultrawides, without any additional fiddling.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I am aware of that. But you shouldn't need to use a third-party extension just to watch video at the correct aspect ratio. It should just work on ultrawides, without any additional fiddling.

I don't disagree, it should be standard and I'm sure at some point it will be but for now, it is a super easy fix.

Back
Top Bottom