Dell launches new XPS 17 (9700) & XPS 15 (9500) Laptops

Associate
its up to whoever is buying a laptop to decide if they want to spend the cost of a decent 2nd hand car on a dell with an outdated GPU - that is all, far better laptops can be got for much much less

Associate
someone is nuts to pay the guts of £3k for this spec, you are basically paying over the odds for a 4k uhd display and have a sucky RTX 2060 to go with the laggy refresh rates. Sounds like an Apple product to me

Display 17-inch 4K UHD+; InfinityEdge touch; HDR400 + Dolby Vision, 500 nits; 94% DCI-P3; anti-reflective
17-inch FHD+; InfinityEdge; Dolby Vision, 500 nits; 100% sRGB minimum; anti-glare
Processor Up to 10th Gen Intel Core i9-10885H
Graphics Up to NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060, 6GB, GDDR6
Memory Up to 64GB DDR4 2933MHz
Storage 256GB PCIe 3 x4 SSD
512GB PCIe 3 x4 SSD
1TB PCIe 3 x4 SSD
2TB PCIe 3 x4 SSD

Soldato
someone is nuts to pay the guts of £3k for this spec, you are basically paying over the odds for a 4k uhd display and have a sucky RTX 2060 to go with the laggy refresh rates. Sounds like an Apple product to me

Display 17-inch 4K UHD+; InfinityEdge touch; HDR400 + Dolby Vision, 500 nits; 94% DCI-P3; anti-reflective
17-inch FHD+; InfinityEdge; Dolby Vision, 500 nits; 100% sRGB minimum; anti-glare
Processor Up to 10th Gen Intel Core i9-10885H
Graphics Up to NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060, 6GB, GDDR6
Memory Up to 64GB DDR4 2933MHz
Storage 256GB PCIe 3 x4 SSD
512GB PCIe 3 x4 SSD
1TB PCIe 3 x4 SSD
2TB PCIe 3 x4 SSD

Where else do you get 16:10 in that size package?

Associate
Funnily enough I also own one of those in 15 inch form, albeit from the previous generation. It is constantly thermally throttling even after a repaste and thermal pads etc. Whilst on paper it has superior specs (1070 max-q) its real world performance in the game I play most (Destiny 2) is actually worse than on the Dell. I was quite surprised to be honest and presumably is a result of much more aggresive throttling on the Gigabyte. The Gigabyte is also running an undervolt which is not even an option on the Dell currently.

Soldato
Aero 17 from Gigabyte @ w / superior spec - not too shabby for the auld board room meeting also

** No Competitors **

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...i9-10980hk-professional-laptop-lt-0aw-gi.html

Its a shame the Aero laptops are so ugly. What’s with all the ribbed effect moulded plastic on the sides and the screen hinge on 2 corners instead of central across the middle?

Also missing a 16:10 display, touchscreen, large trackpad and the 4 thunderbolt ports.

Associate
A MSI GP65 Leopard 15.6" can be got which also will leave enough change to get a decent second hand car - if you want a centrally hinged laptop with better aesthetics and a GPU that is better than a weedy RTX 2060 you could get a HP Omen 17 4k w/RTX 2080, hard to get hold of but they exist and wont cost as much as an Apple, sorry Dell.

Soldato
A MSI GP65 Leopard 15.6" can be got which also will leave enough change to get a decent second hand car - if you want a centrally hinged laptop with better aesthetics and a GPU that is better than a weedy RTX 2060 you could get a HP Omen 17 4k w/RTX 2080, hard to get hold of but they exist and wont cost as much as an Apple, sorry Dell.

It’s rather immaterial when it’s a toss-up between a 16” MBP and an XPS17. Your suggestions don’t meet the required specifications.

Associate
It’s rather immaterial when it’s a toss-up between a 16” MBP and an XPS17. Your suggestions don’t meet the required specifications.

you seem keen to ***** money on under-performing hardware - I would just get a Omen 17 with a RTX 2070/80..or a Aero 17..or any beefy MSI, either of which would destroy them Dells on benchmarks. Its your money at the end of the day

Last edited:
Soldato
Personally I would choose a 16” MacBook Pro over the Dell. Dell’s build and material quality lately is not great and the customer service is pretty dire. You can dual boot the MacBook with Mac OS and windows and have a much better machine too.

Associate
I returned an XPS 15 last month after a lot of back and forth with Dell, I was one day outside the 14day return window and one of the fans completely died, they insisted my only option was for me to send it to them for repairs and it may take 2 weeks to return, an engineer visit was not an option due to COVID restrictions.

I understand the restrictions and asked if they would provide a replacement laptop instead as its for work and I cannot be without it for 2 weeks. I added that given its 1 day outside the returns window I would hope they could make a concession in this case given it is such a high price, "quality" laptop and should not suffer complete fan failure after so little use. They eventually said I could have a refund but not a replacement.... not sure what the logic behind that decision was but I took it and got myself the new HP Omen 15 instead.

Associate
Hey guys, quick question. Looking to get the new XPS 9500 solely for 4k video editing using Premiere Pro and light use of After Effects, as well as photo editing on Lightroom and Photoshop. I'm going for the 4k screen option with 32GB of RAM and 1TB SSD with the GTX1650 Graphics Card. But I am super confused about the two processors being offered here :s

- 10th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-10750H (12MB Cache, up to 5.0 GHz, 6 cores
- 10th Generation Intel® Core™ i9-10885H (16MB Cache, up to 5.3 GHz, 8 cores

I don't mind paying a bit extra if the performance will be better on the i9 but if I'm not going to see any difference don't really want to pay an extra couple of hundred quid for nothing. Any help on whether the i7 will be sufficient for my needs or whether I should go for the i9 8 core instead ??

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom