Dell P2414H 24" Monitor Thread

Soldato
I decided to purchase on of these based upon Baddass's very positive review of this monitor. It replaces my Dell SP2208WFP whose lack of adjustability, and just slightly less than ideal resolution have become a bit wearisome since I started back at university again. Fortunately I spotted a fantastic deal on it yesterday, and it arrived at an ungodly hour (before 08:00) this morning.

I haven't had too much time to play around with it yet due to being on campus all day, but first impressions are very good. I've adjusted the settings near to what Baddass calibrated to, and the colours seem accurate to my untrained eye. There are also no dead pixels that I have noticed yet, and it handled a quick L4D2 session very well. The only thing I am slightly miffed about is that it came without a kettle lead!

In comparison to the glossy 2208, the AG coating on the 2414 will take bit of getting used to, especially on a white background in Word for example. However everything else seems like an improvement, although the cable management does not keep the cables from my sight when the stand is near its maximum height. It also lacks HDMI, although I don't anticipate using it with a console at present...

Happy to answer questions and share any further thoughts if anyone else is considering this monitor.

Soldato
As I'm trying to gather as much user feedback on one particular aspect of this model... Have you noticed any 'backlight bleed' in a dark room? If you could observe the monitor from 2m+ away (if possible) keeping your head as central as possible and see if you can see any 'patciness' during a black screen fill that would be great. Pay particular attention to the bottom left corner.

The review sample I had was brilliant in this regard but some units seem to have some slight backlight bleed. I don't personally see it as an issue, especially since it is quite minor and generally drowned out by 'IPS glow' from a normal viewing position anyway. The P2414H is a great monitor overall with strong colour performance, a nice adjustable stand and strong responsiveness for a 60Hz model. You can also overclock it to 72Hz+ but I like to keep that quiet ;).

Associate
Just got my P2314H and there is some backlight bleed on the bottom left. Will take a pic when it's dark. Not as bad as the U2312HM I returned, but not sure if I should replace it

Associate
Thinking about having it replaced. Brightness is at 30.

Taken with phone
35lX45n.jpg

Camera at ISO 100
Y6p6Z2q.jpg

Camera at ISO 200
JnyFiz8.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
You are also capturing a little bit of IPS glow there. But you can clearly see a relative problem in the bottom left corner. This is a common 'problem spot' on the P2314H it seems and also on some P2414Hs. It's something I've had other users report and it's been noted on a few reviews as well. Given the uniformity issues that are common to all monitors of this price and beyond (not just IPS) I would ask yourself how much it bothers you during ordinary use. It is one thing looking at an isolated black screen in a dark room, it's another just using the monitor generally. Compared to other recent non-VA models that's really on the better side of what you can expect. As stated above I also feel IPS glow drowns some of that corner bleed out during normal use, but not all of it as it extends a bit beyond the usual glow-affected area.

Soldato
OP
Hey PCM2. I enjoy reading your site, although your review of the monitor escaped me until after I posted this thread. Good work!

I captured the following shots with my Samsung ATIV S Windows phone camera. Brightness at on the monitor at 33:

Close:
SzTbSlu.jpg
Far:
Evua7VA.jpg

There is some backlight bleed in the bottom left as you have identified as an issue with the monitor. However it does not negatively affect normal use for me.

I'm very happy with the monitor for £156!

Last edited:
Associate
Yours appears to be much better than mine, I'll see how I get on with mine over the weekend before deciding whether to replace

Associate
roadie is on the P2414H not the P2314H so maybe some of the difference is just the different model working better, or perhaps just luckier. Hope you can decide over the weekend - I hate decisions that are on the fence.... can be pretty frustrating whichever way you pick.

Associate
My previous monitor was a BenQ EW2420 which had no blacklight bleed/uniformity issues so this is a bit annoying. Hopefully more people will buy these monitors soon. Thought I had a good deal at getting mine for £152 but £156 for the 24" is a bargain

Associate
My previous monitor was a BenQ EW2420 which had no blacklight bleed/uniformity issues so this is a bit annoying. Hopefully more people will buy these monitors soon. Thought I had a good deal at getting mine for £152 but £156 for the 24" is a bargain

My P2314H has the same glow/bleeding. I asked for a replacement from Dell, and guess what? The replacement had the EXACT same amount of glow/bleeding. I couldn't tell the difference between the two monitors.

Here is mine though (brightness around 25-30):
http://abload.de/img/img_20131031_210027hajqa.jpg

I gave up. I am never ever ever going buy an other Dell or IPS monitor again. My previous cheap Benq with TN panel didn't have any annoying problems.

Last edited:
Associate
My P2314H has the same glow/bleeding. I asked for a replacement from Dell, and guess what? The replacement had the EXACT same amount of glow/bleeding. I couldn't tell the difference between the two monitors.

Here is mine though (brightness around 25-30):
http://abload.de/img/img_20131031_210027hajqa.jpg

I gave up. I am never ever ever going buy an other Dell or IPS monitor again. My previous cheap Benq with TN panel didn't have any annoying problems.

My replacement has the same issue. Waiting for the 3rd, if the problem is still the same I will get a refund

Back
Top Bottom