• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dell S2716DG Gsync with a 6800XT!

Soldato
Any one know what happens when you use a Dell S2716DG with an AMD card?

It's a Gysnc monitor. Obviously I know that using an AMD card with the monitor would mean I lose Gsync, but what about Freesync?

What about if it doesn't support Freesync and I just use the monitor with it's 144hz refresh rate?

Will I notice the difference?

Am I mad to even entertain the thought of losing my VRR sync.

---

So a quick Google shows it doesn't support Freesync.

Man of Honour
Personally I think you are mad to give up some form of adaptive sync/VRR.

Sadly I'm starting to get some burn in on my S2716DG :( doesn't seem to hold up as well as other monitors when you have a web-browser in the same spot all day every day and even the task bar is starting to do a little bit of it.

Soldato
Any one know what happens when you use a Dell S2716DG with an AMD card?

It's a Gysnc monitor. Obviously I know that using an AMD card with the monitor would mean I lose Gsync, but what about Freesync?

What about if it doesn't support Freesync and I just use the monitor with it's 144hz refresh rate?

Will I notice the difference?

Am I mad to even entertain the thought of losing my VRR sync.

---

So a quick Google shows it doesn't support Freesync.
I have the same monitor and a GTX 1080. My plan is to get an AMD card and do without GSync until early next year when hopefully there will be better monitors with proper HDR at a reasonable price, or if I had to get one now I'd get the Samsung Odyssey G7 (works with both Nvidia and AMD, although be careful some people are reporting flickering issues with these Samsung monitors) and sell the Dell.

The Dell doesn't support Freesync, but when I used a Vega 64 with it yes there is a difference but it's a small one if your frame rate is reasonably high, which it will be with a 6800XT.

Last edited:
Soldato
I thought there might have been some trick/hack to get Freesync working on Gsync screens but it doesn't seem like it's going to happen?

I have the S2417DG and wondered whether to switch orders from 3080 to 6800XT, tempting but maybe not a good idea

Associate
Between selling my 2080ti and obtaining my current 3080, I had a period of using the 5600XT from my second PC with my Gsync screen and can confirm VRR is not possible (Or at least not for me) with a gsync screen connected to an AMD card. Back to good old Vsync

Soldato
Between selling my 2080ti and obtaining my current 3080, I had a period of using the 5600XT from my second PC with my Gsync screen and can confirm VRR is not possible (Or at least not for me) with a gsync screen connected to an AMD card. Back to good old Vsync

I intend to just not use any sync and keep my framerate limit at 120.

Soldato
The joy of being tied into an ecosystem... Vsync is terrible so I wouldn't use it.

If I do get an AMD card I'll see how gaming without VRR goes before jumping all in on a new screen.

Associate
I am in same boat and as far as I can tell the G-sync module will only work with Nvidia. Unless you have a newer monitor model which is g-sync/ free-sync but these only came out after NV conceded defeat which is around 2019. If your monitor is older than that you are out of luck.

Try running G-sync turned off on a few games and see how it looks.

For me I will just go NV. There is little difference between the AMD/NV cards in terms of performance. The extra cost of the NV card with g-sync is worth it to me over a few years.

I am just waiting for the model between 3080/3090

Soldato
Get the card - see if you can live without VRR by fettling gfx game settings adding a frame limit to max refresh.

If not then you'll be saving for a new monitor. What does it feel like if you switch VRR off with your current set up? Maybe lower quality settings and get the FPS up near 144, then see how it 'feels'.

Associate
Use custom refresh utility to enable freesync support - takes 30 seconds and a reboot. I've done a quick test on my AOC AG352UCG v1 and it seems to work fine.

Permabanned
I would not buy an AMD if you have a G-SYNC monitor. You lose adaptive sync and unless you are sure you will never fall below 144Hz then adaptive sync is surely worth it. But don't take my word for it, turn it off for a month and find out whether you are OK without it.

Associate
same monitor here and running a 2070 super, never had amd with it so i dont know if the freesync will work with the gysync compibility thing, last time i looked at the compatible monitors i dont think our was listed..il be going for a 3080 most likely at some point and sticking with full gsync :)

Soldato
Use custom refresh utility to enable freesync support - takes 30 seconds and a reboot. I've done a quick test on my AOC AG352UCG v1 and it seems to work fine.

Please elaborate more? A quick search is not bringing up much information about how to make a Gsync screen work with AMD cards.

Soldato
Have same monitor and 1080 , 3080 on order also wondered if it supports some kinda a freesync as nvidia allowed to use on some monitors , but I bet its only for newer models ? Custom refresh utility enables freesync?

Associate
Please elaborate more? A quick search is not bringing up much information about how to make a Gsync screen work with AMD cards.
Instructions here. There's a newer version, 1.4.2 which is available on monitortests.com, not sure if the newer version is necessary or not but you may as well grab the latest. The instructions were easier to follow on Guru3d though.

Specifically to enable Freesync:

Run the app as admin, click on CEA-861 to highlight it then click on the Edit button under the Extension blocks section. Click Add under the Data blocks section and select Freesync range. Set the frequency range in line with your monitors specs (30hz minimum should be fine for most g-sync screens, set the maximum to your screens maximum, so in my case its set to 30hz to 100hz). I also moved the freesync info to the top of the list of "stuff" in the extension window as that was how the example screenshot in the instructions showed it done, not sure if this is necessary. OK the popped out extension box you just edited, then OK the main window and reboot.

If you get black screens or stuttering you need to reduce the refresh range and hunt around for where its going to work. Trial and error it seems. Displayport is the most stable connection method, though hdmi to dp conversion apparently can/does work too. I would imagine cable quality is important, I'm using a good Cable Matters branded DP 1.2 cable. The one that came in the box with my monitor was utter trash and would give me black screens using G-Sync, a decent aftermarket cable fixed that issue and I've been using it ever since.

I think the only gotcha is if you have multiple screens - in that case make sure the correct one is selected in the pull down at the top before you begin, otherwise I don't think anything else needs touching.

I've nothing to do with this app at all, its purely something I found via reddit. I don't know if this works with all G-Sync screens, what needs tweaking if it doesn't work perfectly or anything at all beyond what I've written here. It seems to have just worked for me in limited testing on my other half's pc using an RX480 and two point hospital (yikes!) but your mileage may vary. It would be good to hear of any successes or failures for other forum users benefit.

Good luck! :)

[Edited instructions, missed some stuff.]

Last edited:
Soldato
Worst idea would be sacrificing VRR imo. It’s a pants situation, you could try ‘work arounds’ but you’re probably better off sticking with Gsync/Nvidia or AMD/Freesync. Or get a decent Gsync/Freesync monitor, there’s plenty of choice and sell your old one.

Back
Top Bottom