dell s2716dg hdmi 1.4 - HDR on playstation

Associate
i have the dell s2716dg and using my ps4 with it on the hdmi port which is a 1.4 on the monitor and i cant enable hdr on the ps4...is there an adapter i can get that would plug in the hdmi 1.4 on the monitor to make it 2.0? so i could get hdr enabled? i have a ps5 pre ordered and wondering if i could get hdr enabled on it some how with my monitor?
thanx guys

Soldato
i have the dell s2716dg and using my ps4 with it on the hdmi port which is a 1.4 on the monitor and i cant enable hdr on the ps4...is there an adapter i can get that would plug in the hdmi 1.4 on the monitor to make it 2.0? so i could get hdr enabled? i have a ps5 pre ordered and wondering if i could get hdr enabled on it some how with my monitor?
thanx guys

Ive looked at the spec and I don't see it mentioned anywhere that it supports HDR.

Also that monitor will be max 60fps through hdmi but that shouldn't be much of an issue.

Soldato
monitor doesnt, thats why i thought i could get adapter which would enable it ?

Unfortunately not, it has to have the capability built in like being able to achieve the brightness required for HDR. I'm not sure of the other requirements but it can't be added on to any display that doesn't support it to my knowledge.

Associate
OP
Unfortunately not, it has to have the capability built in like being able to achieve the brightness required for HDR. I'm not sure of the other requirements but it can't be added on to any display that doesn't support it to my knowledge.
bugger ok.. got another idea lol. what about a displayport splitter plugged in to the monitor and the displayport cable plugged in to from the gfx card and a hdmi with an adapter to displayport plugged in to it and i can switch the output from pc or ps4 using the button on the splitter....would it not work like that or would i loose gynsc lol

Soldato
Seems like hard work. Cant you just use DP on the PC and HDMI with the PS?
Switch source with the monitor buttons or it may auto switch when the PS is on if it supports certain features.

Associate
OP
Seems like hard work. Cant you just use DP on the PC and HDMI with the PS?
Switch source with the monitor buttons or it may auto switch when the PS is on if it supports certain features.
yes thats what i do but i was trying to improve the quality on the ps4/ps5 lol

Caporegime
Even if it's possible to enable HDR on a 300-350nits (brightness), 1000:1 contrast ratio edge lit display it's rather pointless. The fact that many low end TV's today even support HDR is a scam tbh.

The whole point of HDR is to create an insanely high contrast ratio, extremely bright whites whilst at the same time keeping blacks black, OLED's go upto something like 800nits with perfect blacks, locally dimmed LED's go up to 3000nits and can dynamically shut off LED's in different areas of the screen to maintain black levels where needed. Even assuming your display could reach lets say 1000nits, with edge lighting it would just turn any blacks to greys, create a washed out image and probably look worse than SDR.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
There are currently no pc monitors that support decent hdr due to the lack of sufficient FALD backlighting.

For monitors with HDR 400 or 600 it’s better to leave it off.

Back
Top Bottom