Dell shows its new U2410 display

Associate
OK, "another place" is listing the U2410 in stock for next day delivery @ £454.25 now.
Perhaps someone would kindly hurry up and buy that last 2408 in stock so we can see how much OC are going to charge for the U2410? :D

Associate
Does anyone know how it compares to the LP2475W? If it's better, I'd cancel that order and get the U2410 instead.
Id say as it stands from the limited info available for the u2410.. the hp wouid be better for gaming where as the dell would be better for colour related work.. eg photoshop/photography..

Of course this could all change with a proper review of the dell

Soldato
The thing that finally put me off the Dell was the input lag and the fact that you have to enable game mode to lower this (at the expense of colour management). Just seemed like a pain to do this (or more likely forget to do this) everytime you want to switch modes, especially given the capacitive-touch butons.

Associate
The thing that finally put me off the Dell was the input lag and the fact that you have to enable game mode to lower this (at the expense of colour management). Just seemed like a pain to do this (or more likely forget to do this) everytime you want to switch modes, especially given the capacitive-touch butons.

I agree, it is annoying that you have to do that. I think I'll stick to the LP2475W.

Associate
Id say as it stands from the limited info available for the u2410.. the hp wouid be better for gaming where as the dell would be better for colour related work.. eg photoshop/photography.. Of course this could all change with a proper review of the dell
Hmm, I don't know how you reached that conclusion, even given the current available info :)

The HP most definitely averages somewhere around 2 frames of input lag (17-33ms) given all the info I've seen from everyone who actually knows what they're talking about on this issue. Go to Youtube and there's several HP input lag tests available. If you download the flv file and advance the video one frame at a time you'll see the HP averages about 2 frames of lag Vs a CRT. This is consistent with the TFTCentral review which rated the screens lag at 25ms. This is usable for most, but not for people who want to play fast first person shooters online in any competitive way.

The U2410, in game mode, averages below 1 frame of lag (if the CNET guys numbers are right ;) ), which means the Dells lag is about HALF that of the HP in game mode. However it does this by bypassing all the internal image processing. This means your image now has the full wide gamut. Is this a problem? Well, it depends..

Firstly, with the right colour profile (and if Microsoft are to be believed ;) ) Windows 7 will solve current gamut issues. This means, when you switch the Dell to game mode it won't suffer the over-saturated reds and greens. Secondly, this is something the HP suffers to a degree anyway, since it doesn't offer the 12-bit LUT colour management that the Dell does in the first place!

Having said all that, the cheapest UK price I've seen for the HP is about £100 less than the cheapest Dell price I've seen so far. So, unless you care about gamut issues (which, if you plan on using Windows 7, you don't) or having lower input lag from the Dell, this premium is clearly NOT worth the price difference. They're both using the same panel and, unless the back-lighting on the Dell is drastically better, the image quality will be very similar in standard wide gamut scenarios. The Dell should look better in standard RGB mode, and the pre-calibration means it should also be more accurate out of the box. Other than that it comes down to things like looks/inputs and whether you'd rather take your chances with HP or Dell customer service when you have a problem :)

Associate
Hmm, I don't know how you reached that conclusion, even given the current available info :)

The HP most definitely averages somewhere around 2 frames of input lag (17-33ms) given all the info I've seen from everyone who actually knows what they're talking about on this issue. Go to Youtube and there's several HP input lag tests available. If you download the flv file and advance the video one frame at a time you'll see the HP averages about 2 frames of lag Vs a CRT. This is consistent with the TFTCentral review which rated the screens lag at 25ms. This is usable for most, but not for people who want to play fast first person shooters online in any competitive way.

The U2410, in game mode, averages below 1 frame of lag (if the CNET guys numbers are right ;) ), which means the Dells lag is about HALF that of the HP in game mode. However it does this by bypassing all the internal image processing. This means your image now has the full wide gamut. Is this a problem? Well, it depends..

Firstly, with the right colour profile (and if Microsoft are to be believed ;) ) Windows 7 will solve current gamut issues. This means, when you switch the Dell to game mode it won't suffer the over-saturated reds and greens. Secondly, this is something the HP suffers to a degree anyway, since it doesn't offer the 12-bit LUT colour management that the Dell does in the first place!

Having said all that, the cheapest UK price I've seen for the HP is about £100 less than the cheapest Dell price I've seen so far. So, unless you care about gamut issues (which, if you plan on using Windows 7, you don't) or having lower input lag from the Dell, this premium is clearly NOT worth the price difference. They're both using the same panel and, unless the back-lighting on the Dell is drastically better, the image quality will be very similar in standard wide gamut scenarios. The Dell should look better in standard RGB mode, and the pre-calibration means it should also be more accurate out of the box. Other than that it comes down to things like looks/inputs and whether you'd rather take your chances with HP or Dell customer service when you have a problem :)

Really nice summary there, another consideration I suppose is the dreaded 'pink tint' on (what seems like) a large number of the HPs

Soldato
The HP most definitely averages somewhere around 2 frames of input lag (17-33ms) given all the info I've seen from everyone who actually knows what they're talking about on this issue.

The original reviews from late 2008 did give the input lag in that range however it is believed that this has been much improved in recent hardware/firmware revisions. It would be nice to see these tests re-done (properly) with a more current model. I would do it myself but I don't have a CRT.

Associate
Any update on price and availability from OC on the U2410? I see another UK retailer is saying they've stock due today.. (Although their price sucks ;) )

Associate
Yes they had a promotion on AV Forums my mate noticed, can I mention another forum here? I said I'm from OCUK forums and they'd do it , you just have to call them or email them

Associate
Re other offer.. You have to order by phone, quote a specific code (not just "forum") and it's only good till Friday..

OC are now listing 10+ 2408's in stock again, so I'm not sure what that means about their intentions with regards to the U2410..

Associate
Hmmm... I phoned OCUK yesterday and they said it would be a week at least before the 2408wfp was back in stock?

I also asked about the U2410 and was told that they weren't sure when it would be in stock.

Associate
Hmm, might just take the plunge and get this on Friday, place down the road have it. Quite convenient for me still prefer OC, but when something you can pick up yourself is just down the road. I dont mind paying a bit extra so I dont have to wait at home for delivery.

Still no decent reviews out?

Back
Top Bottom