Dell sp2309W or Samsung P2450

Associate
Hey,
You might of guessed i looking for a new monitor.

Currently ive limited my choice between these two models

The Dell SP2309W (£230) EDIT Price just dropped down to £210 on the Dell website
Which has
23" Screen
2048 x 1152 Resolution
a DVI, HDMI, and VGA slot
80000:1 Contrast Ratio
Also 4 USB ports and Webcam + Mic built in.

The Samsung P2450 (£220)
24" Screen
1920x1080 Resolution
a DVI HDMI and VGA slot
70000:1 Contrast Ratio

Now the primary purpose of this monitor will be Gaming with a PC, 360 and a PS3 all connected to the back of the monitor.
But also to do 3d work and a bit of photoshop.

The Samsung is cheaper being around £220
The Dell is around £210.

Now the Dell seems better value to go for with its extra resolution and webcam. Plus reviews ive read on it say its got fanastic colour quality.
But i am a little concerned about gaming on it with a Xbox 360/Playstation 3 due to the resolution (whether it will scale properly or not).

Im just wondering what you guys think?
Any other suggestions for a monitor?
My Budget is £250 if your wondering.

Last edited:
Associate
Well it is a strange one as no monitor does gaming and Photoshop. IPS monitors giving you great colour and viewing angles but generally sucking in the Response Time.
I use photoshop and have a mac for that but the monitor is pretty useless for games as it is an NEC MultiSync LCD2490WUXI 24 inch 8ms.
So if its mostly gaming prob you want monitor which has less than 5ms ideally 1-2ms again it depends on how they get this rating ie how the accelerate the refresh to lower the rating.
Look at http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/
At £250 why not get a Samsung 2ms and nice enough colour not Photoshop standard but its all a trade off unless you have 2 machines.

Personally though I think 23" monitor is better value still get 1920x1080 Resolution but you can use the £250 to get good quality monitor

Last edited:
Soldato
Unless you have gamed with an IPS panel personally don't make such misleading comments. Specifications are only as good as the e-paper they're written on. I would recommend the Dell U2311H at that price, but if you are particularly sensitive to response times or just want a really responsive panel; the Samsung XL2370. We also have a list of the Top 10 bestselling monitors at the moment - the P2450 you just mentioned is very popular amongst users, but at the price you quoted you'd be paying too much.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I am considering the XL2370, However i dont really want to keep changing wires at the back every so often, As i want my PC,PS3 and 360 all plugged in.

What im mainly looking for is a good accurate colour monitor. Ive heard the Dell SP2309w delivers on that.

But so does pretty much nearly every Samsung model ive read, (The XL2370 and its successor the PX2370 being the better ones out the lot. PX2370 has better Colour Accuracy but the XL2370 is brighter.)

Ideally im looking for 1x VGA 1x DVI and 1x HDMI Monitor

Or 2x HDMI and 1x DVI
Something along those lines really.

Its a really hard decision in my opinion, i think i looked around too much.

Soldato
You aren't going to get accurate colours from any twisted nematic panel I'm afraid. A given colour looks different depending on its position on the screen - this is a limitation of the viewing angle and is inherent to all Twisted Nematic screens. If you want a decent level of colour accuracy and the ability to plug in your PC, PS3 and XB360 all at the same time then the P2450H is probably a decent choice (just reduce the green level a little using Windows 7 colour calibrator). It is available for just under £200 at the moment so it's the best value of the lot and is one of the reasons it's so popular.

The XL2370 also has an HDMI, DVI and VGA port. If you would prefer 2x HDMI and 1x VGA the BX2350 and BX2450 are worth a thought, too.

Associate
OP
The XL2370 has a HDMI DVI AND a VGA port??
Everywhere ive read state that its only got a DVI and HDMI.

Also PCM2 have you had any experience with the PX2370?
As ive read its slightly better in colour but sacrifices its brightness as a result.

Associate
Unless you have gamed with an IPS panel personally don't make such misleading comments. Specifications are only as good as the e-paper they're written on. I would recommend the Dell U2311H at that price, but if you are particularly sensitive to response times or just want a really responsive panel; the Samsung XL2370. We also have a list of the Top 10 bestselling monitors at the moment - the P2450 you just mentioned is very popular amongst users, but at the price you quoted you'd be paying too much.

Smile.... sorry is that aimed at me I just said I have a NEC which is one of the best if not the best H-IPS panel in its class so as I said it sucks in gaming. This is from experience not read on net.
Anyway back to my opinion and its only that.
If you are limited to connections that makes choice more difficult as you seem to be more likely to buy Dell due to the fact you are putting more importance on the cabling issue and they tend to offer lots of connections. I really never liked Dell generally just well put together Samsung technology packaged in Dell logo. I think you have been pondering this for a long time read through this forum some really nice reviews thing is though they are only that. Purchase based on what you want.
Personally I have fast response monitor for gaming giving up a very little amount of colour reproduction and as I said a NEC for Photoshop when colour accuracy is important.
Your criterion was a mix but now you want certain connections too that is tall order at £250 but as said Dell will probably fill that gap they have non IPS panels too. I am only speaking of my experience with monitors I have owned about 60 in my life (I am not young and have built about 200 P.C's) so I generally dont need to read about them as I usually at one point have owned them :)

Last edited:
Soldato
The XL2370 has a HDMI DVI AND a VGA port??
Everywhere ive read state that its only got a DVI and HDMI.

Also PCM2 have you had any experience with the PX2370?
As ive read its slightly better in colour but sacrifices its brightness as a result.

I'm sorry it was a while since I tested the XL2370 - it doesn't have a VGA port. :( I have had experience with the PX2370 but only very brief. This is based largely on other reviews, but it highlights some of the key differences between the panels - XL2370 vs PX2370. I would say that out-of-the-box colours are a little better on the PX2370 but this difference is very slight if tweaked very slightly (even a simple shift of the gamma mode on the XL2370). In terms of colour reproduction the PX2370 didn't seem too far off the BX2350 we have just reviewed - at least not considering the price difference. :)

@Lliam. Sorry, I just read the ...'sucking in response time' and it reminded me of many parroted comments from ill-informed people --> one of which you thankfully are not! :D You are right, the responsiveness is not ideal for gaming, but I have never found the difference to be particularly off-putting and I don't think people should be put off by the figures. After having tested OLED monitors I could say that even the best TN panels 'suck' but that wouldn't be fair of me. ;)

Associate
Ignore me PCM2 I am just a opinionated old man. I think its nice he has a range of thoughts on this as he is probably were we all have been info overload. He probably has a list and a pin handy and is just about to close his eyes and stick the pin in the winner :)
I am a response time anal retentive well just an anal retentive actually.
Yes response time is pretty non issue for almost every situation and most reviews suck also that's why these boards are great as people talk about their own hardware which is very good as only other way to find out is by wasting money buying the product :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Right Despite the monitors ive listed

I think im gonna go for the XL2370.

Though it is roughly £260
Which is a bit more than i wanted to spend on a monitor.

But i suppose a 1920x1080 resolution is better for Console use. Plus the brightness and colour sounds amazing.

Rather than the 2048x1152 from the Dell SP2309W.

Im going to wait till tomorrow morning before i make a full final decison.
After all £260 is a lot of money.

Associate
OP
I woke up today and still dont know which monitor to get!

.....I might just end up flipping a coin on this

Either go for the Cheaper, sharper, more feature rich Dell.
or the brighter more colourful Samsung.

If i havent decided by 3PM im flipping a coin!

Associate
I don`t know if this will help (probably not, but I`ll give it a go).

I have had my P2450 for a few days now. It is a very nice monitor. I am extremely pleased with it. Good PQ, good size, nice looks.

At first I was concerend about the "wideness", but have now got used to it. I can`t compare it with any other monitor (only with my old one), but to me, the image quality is very good. There are no dead/lit pixels, and it gives the impression of being a quality bit of kit.

There are probably better monitors out there, but for the £, I`m more than happy.

PS. I did consider some LED models, but in the end, I went of owners reviews. For this model, the reviews were mostly very positive. I didn`t buy it here, I`m afraid, as price was a factor. I paid a fair bit less than £200. Nothing against Overclockers, I have used them before, and will use them again.

Last edited:
Soldato
I woke up today and still dont know which monitor to get!

.....I might just end up flipping a coin on this

Either go for the Cheaper, sharper, more feature rich Dell.
or the brighter more colourful Samsung.

If i havent decided by 3PM im flipping a coin!

It's not an easy choice. Also remember the flipside of the higher resolution - slightly lower performance (although there not much difference in terms of pixel coverage) but moreover possible compatability issues. If you are using it with consoles you have to remember that the resolution of the Dell is unusual and not standard in any way - scaling could be an issue but I haven't used the screen so I couldn't say. Really there's not much advantage of that resolution over Full HD because it's only slightly higher. The downsides I think are more real.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I have decided!

It was a hard choice.
But ive gone for the......... *Drum Roll*....... the Samsung XL2370!

Reasons for my decision?

1) The 1920x1080 is a better resolution for Console Gaming.
2) Plus the colour is better than the Dell. Which will give my games that extra bit of WOW factor.
3) Ive also always been a fan of Samsung TV's. Ive always found they gave the richer picture out the rest.
4) Plus I kept hearing the XL2370 Monitor everywhere i went on the internet.

So those reasons kinda sold it to me.
I would have liked a VGA port for my 360
But the PS3 and 360 will have to share the one hdmi port.
I will miss the 2048x1152 resolution from the dell, It would have been great for working on.

I'll have my little review on it some time next week.

Last edited:
Soldato
I hope you like it and I look forward to your thoughts. You might be wondering what you're missing with the slight extra resolution. But if you had gone for the Dell you would have been wondering how much brighter and more spectacular things could have looked. ;)

Associate
Do me a favour take the A##### name out of your post saves getting into trouble on this forum. Hope you like your monitor

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom