Dell U2412M, U2312HM and U2212HM on their way!

Man of Honour
thought people might be interested in this :)

Dell are set to release a new 24" monitor in their ever-popular UltraSharp series later this year. The U2412HM will be the replacement for the U2410 monitor and is the latest in their refresh program which usually takes place every 1 - 2 years.

We don't have full information about this screen yet, but we do know that the U2412HM is expected to be 16:9 format, and so a break from their previous 16:10 format models (the 'H' in the name signifies 16:9 aspect screens). It will feature a full 1920 x 1080 resolution of course and will be White-LED backlit. As with all their recent UltraSharp models the screen will use IPS panel technology. This will be e-IPS classification which is signified by the 'M' in the product name, and being W-LED backlit the screen will be standard gamut. It is expected to offer a coverage of ~80% of the NTSC colour space. This is obviously a change from the wide gamut U2410 but is in line with current market trends. Details about features and other specs are not known at this time but this must also be a new IPS panel from LG.Display since at the moment they do not have a 16:9 format IPS module listed. The screen will also remain with a matte AG coating and they will not be reverting to glossy coating at all. We know the screens will feature DVI-D and DisplayPort connections but the rest of the interface options are not known yet.

At the same time Dell will also be refreshing their 23" and 21.5" models to replace the U2311H and U2211H. These will also be 16:9 format, e-IPS based and W-LED backlit. They will be called the U2312HM and U2212HM respectively.

Release is expected sometime in Q3 this year for all three models. As soon as we have more information we will report back and we will of course feature full reviews of them all once available. We don't know what the screens wil look like or how they will be priced yet.

source: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/23.htm#dell_u2412h_1

Soldato
Very interesting and I think this refresh of the series is going to be welcomed by many. I have seen driver-based evidence (here) for a U2412M model without the 'H' suffix, whilst the U2212HM and U2312HM are specifically mentioned with the 'H' included. Is it possible that the driver is erroneously labelled without the 'H' or that there will be multiple models launched? I haven't seen the original 'source material' so I'm not sure about this aspect (pun intended).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
What crap specs :mad:

Looks like i better buy a U2410 very soon

well they are in line with current market trends. i can see people complaining about move to 16:9 format for sure. I suppose the W-LED vs WCG-CCFL arguement will come up as well, but then a lot of people want/prefer standard sRGB gamut screens.

Very interesting and I think this refresh of the series is going to be welcomed by many. I have seen driver-based evidence (here) for a U2412M model without the 'H' suffix, whilst the U2212HM and U2312HM are specifically mentioned with the 'H' included. Is it possible that the driver is erroneously labelled without the 'H' or that there will be multiple models launched? I haven't seen the original 'source material' so I'm not sure about this aspect.

as far as i know they will have the H to signify 16:9 aspect and the M will signify e-IPS classification of their new UltraSharp screens

Soldato
I can understand people being disappointed by some fairly radical departures from the U2410 (which in some senses will feel like a dowgrade depending on your viewpoint) but let's look at the positives. There are a number of people who want an affordable IPS monitor but find 23 inches just a little too restrictive and the current 24 inch monitors too expensive. There are also businesses who couldn't justify purchasing a large number of CCFL-backlit monitors due to the overall running costs and power consumption but who would like the superior quality attributes of an IPS panel - I know this first hand. So the U2412HM has some unique things to bring to the table even if it is seen as a bit of a departure from the U2410.

Associate
So basically, 22 and 23 - LED downgrade.

24 - LED downgrade, aspect ratio downgrade, resolution downgrade, 6bit downgrade, NTSC coverage downgrade...
the heck Dell?

Associate
so does this news means if you're currently speculating about buying the 23" ultrasharp it might be a good idea to do it?

Last edited:
Soldato
ojrules is referring to the U2311H. The U2312HM which you would be comparing it to isn't really a downgrade at all. There were some serious QA issues with the U2311H and backlight uniformity was poor. There are people who haven't tested a significant enough number of LCD monitors of that size who draw unfounded links between WLED backlighting and poor screen uniformity. There is really no significant correlation between this on a monitor of this class and I hope that the U2312HM will only offer improvements in this area. In no way is it necessarily a downgrade from the U2311H.

The U2410HM, if it exists as a 16:9 WLED-backlit monitor, should be considerably cheaper than the U2410 and should be thought of as a 'larger more modern U2311H'. I am not yet entirely convinced about this model but I don't want to confuse things here so I won't. I think people should keep an eye on these models for sure but I would wait for a bit more information on these ones.

Associate
ojrules is referring to the U2311H. The U2312HM which you would be comparing it to isn't really a downgrade at all. There were some serious QA issues with the U2311H and backlight uniformity was poor. There are people who haven't tested a significant enough number of LCD monitors of that size who draw unfounded links between WLED backlighting and poor screen uniformity. There is really no significant correlation between this on a monitor of this class and I hope that the U2312HM will only offer improvements in this area. In no way is it necessarily a downgrade from the U2311H.

The U2410HM, if it exists as a 16:9 WLED-backlit monitor, should be considerably cheaper than the U2410 and should be thought of as a 'larger more modern U2311H'. I am not yet entirely convinced about this model but I don't want to confuse things here so I won't. I think people should keep an eye on these models for sure but I would wait for a bit more information on these ones.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification and information :)

Man of Honour
OP
i agree that for some people the change of the 24" from CCFL to LED, from wide gamut to standard gamut and from 16:10 to 16:9 may be considered a downgrade. however you can see why they have done it as:

1) obvious trend in market is to 16:9 aspect and nearly all new panels produced are this format so that limits the display manufacturers in turn

2) people want standard gamut more often apart from colour enthusiasts it seems nowadays, so there is certainly a place for that still

3) W-LED is obviously a massive trend, cheaper, lower power consumption, thinner form factor, enviro friendly....

Associate
I have been speculating weither to get the U2311H or not, is it worth waiting for the U2311HM?

from what has been said above it might be worth waiting for the new 24" (depends what you want though, me personally, i'm put off by the smallish size of the 23", and don't need the professional accuracy the current 24" offers)

Last edited:
Associate
Kind of sad. 16:10 is history. Strange decision from Dell but it is just a matter of time before they will go 16:9 with this model as well.

Back
Top Bottom