Denon AVR-1507 receiver & KEF KHT1005 speakers... good combo ?

Associate
Denon AVR-1507 receiver (£200) & KEF KHT1005 speakers (£300) :

Does anyone have either of these ? And for an entry level setup are they good choices ?

Also I assume I have to buy all cabling separately ?

Cheers

Suspended
I would go for the Kef 2005's at a minimum. I wouldn't buy a Kef subwoofer, pretty low quality and unreliable PSU's.

Is stereo music important? For a bedroom or living room? How large is the room?

Satellite speakers are a compromise, if you want sound quality you need to buy bigger. Sats can't produce a wide enough frequency range.

That system will work together though. A certain HT retailer has kits, not sure if I can mention them?

Associate
OP
The 2005's are approx £500, are they well worth the extra ?

Music played through the system isn't very important. It will be in a living room, approx 20 x 25 feet.

What 5.1 speakers would you recommend for around £500 then ? Preferably black !

Thanks

Suspended
What 5.1 speakers would you recommend for around £500 then ?

None. I wouldn't recommend a 5.1 speaker package of that budget, you should get a decent stereo & center package for 500 squid. IMO a good active subwoofer starts at £500. So that's your budget gone already.

You might be able to get a pair of ex-demo M&K S-85's.

Q Acoustics have a 5.1 speaker set, as do Monitor Audio. The MA sound considerbly better than the Kef 2005's imo. Eggs are overated, thanks to what hi-fi awards.

I don't think a sat and small subwoofer package will do justice in a room of that size. Look at standmount speakers.

Best if you go to a shop and compare those Kef 1005 and a standmount 5.1 system with good sized sub. Betcha you'll plump for the latter. ;)

Associate
OP
I'm moving back to Australia in about 6 months so it's good that I have a lot of time for research. Gonne ship it all back as AV stuff is cheaper over here with ££££'s.

Will keep on reading for now !

Cheers

Soldato
have a look at the Accoustic Solution Aego T's more expensive again but give staggering performance for the size and price. There also pretty good with music not great but good.

Ignore Squiffy unless you have several grand to spend, he doesn't seem to realise that it is possible to buy perfectly listenable home cinema kit in your budget. Yes it won't sound as good as 10k's worth off stuff but you know that and just want the best for your budget.

The main advantage of Sub/sat packages is they don't fill you living room up and are normally much more acceptable to the significant other in your life. When my living room is refurnished I will be loosing the full size surround sound kit. It sounds nice but makes my living room look like a hifi retailers not a relaxing home!

Last edited:
Suspended
a1ex2001 said:
have a look at the Accoustic Solution Aego T's more expensive again but give staggering performance for the size and price. There also pretty good with music not great but good.

Ignore Squiffy unless you have several grand to spend, he doesn't seem to realise that it is possible to buy perfectly listenable home cinema kit in your budget. Yes it won't sound as good as 10k's worth off stuff but you know that and just want the best for your budget.

The main advantage of Sub/sat packages is they don't fill you living room up and are normally much more acceptable to the significant other in your life. When my living room is refurnished I will be loosing the full size surround sound kit. It sounds nice but makes my living room look like a hifi retailers not a relaxing home!

You don't need to several thousand but don't compromise on sound quality getting a satellite system. I've used Kef Eggs and initially they sound ok, but using them more I just found them lacking. Centre speaker isn't capable enough for natural speech reproduction, and stereo performance is poor. I could tell where the sats start integrating with subwoofer. It's like the usual PC sat system, very tinny, midrange, but no bass from the sats, with just a boomy sub attempting to fill upto the range of the sats.

So what your room is full of speakers? It looks more homely than a barren cold living room with no furniture and little speakers. Grow some balls and keep hold of your audio system.

Caporegime
I'm using the Tannoy EFX 5.1 speakers and they sound fantastic, obviously not as good as a £500 speaker set but they sound great and are within budget, so theres no reason to spend hundreds more when you would be perfectly happy with a cheaper system.

Associate
OP
I think I may jump up to the KEF KHT3005 instead...... anyone got these ?

I will of course demo them at a retailer before shelling out around £1,000 for them !

Back
Top Bottom