Dentures or implants... Home or Abroad?

Associate
So, I could do with a set of dentures.
I live in the UK.
Been looking at the cost of full dentures going with the nhs. It'll cost me £282 (band 3).

Implants are an absolute no-no. cost wise, in the UK. I couldn't cough up for them here.

Nhs supplied dentures are fine. But what about better quality dentures? What about a trip abroad to get better quality dentures? Even implants perhaps.

Anyone have any experience of dental or medical care abroad? Happy stories? Tales of woe? Horror stories?

Soldato
I just spent £32k for all-on-4 in both jaws here in the UK. I did consider going abroad but the risks are too great if something goes wrong and it very much can.

It would have been half in somewhere like Turkey.

Associate
OP
£16k per arch is about the going rate. I did have an NHS denture for a short while but I’m too young to be putting teeth in a glass each night.

In that case, implants are most definitely out of my league. NHS dentures it is then. Unless I could combine a trip abroad and get a decent set of gnashers and a short holiday to boot.

Soldato
So, I could do with a set of dentures.
I live in the UK.
Been looking at the cost of full dentures going with the nhs. It'll cost me £282 (band 3).

Implants are an absolute no-no. cost wise, in the UK. I couldn't cough up for them here.

Nhs supplied dentures are fine. But what about better quality dentures? What about a trip abroad to get better quality dentures? Even implants perhaps.

Anyone have any experience of dental or medical care abroad? Happy stories? Tales of woe? Horror stories?

One thing to be aware if is that uk dentists are very reluctant to address any issues arising from out of country treatment. It's something to bear in mind if considering that route

Soldato
One thing to be aware if is that uk dentists are very reluctant to address any issues arising from out of country treatment. It's something to bear in mind if considering that route

Yeh, I remember having a casual chat with my dentist a couple of years ago about non-UK dental treatment and he said it's a given that most UK dentists won't even look at it if there's a problem, and will recommend they go back to their foreign dentist.

Soldato
I've got an upper plate after eventually losing four concurrent teeth from centre to left following an accident just over eight years ago, the metal plate with a "flat donut" design I've had for a few years is far more comfortable than the old solid plastic plate.

Soldato
Big money ,I'm a teeth grinder (wear a mouth guard during sleep) so have broken a few but tend to go down the restorative route of crowns and bridges as decay isn't the underlying problem ,giving my water flosser an extra blast tonight

Soldato
I just spent £32k for all-on-4 in both jaws here in the UK. I did consider going abroad but the risks are too great if something goes wrong and it very much can.

It would have been half in somewhere like Turkey.

£32k :eek: How long did it take?

Google Turkey teeth shaving if you want nightmares.

dod

dod

Soldato
It was 8 hours and done in a single day.

That was tooth removal, bone grafts and an upper jaw lift, then the implants and bridge fitting.
that's incredible.
I had implants done including bone grafts and the process took about a year. The grafts alone took about two months to settle before they put the implants into them.

Caporegime
I could be talking complete rubbish here, but when I looked in to it your jaw/bone structure needed to be optimal for implants, and even then I thought they only had a 20 year shelf-life?

Back
Top Bottom