1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Depollution System Faulty' Damn you Peugeot!

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Avenged7Fold, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Avenged7Fold

Capodecina

Disclaimer - i know nothing about cars

My fishing car (5 door 207, 80,000miles) gave me a warning today on the way to the lake. I decided to turn around and use my main car, risking dirtying/smellying it up and scratching the seats.

Warning was 'Depollution System Faulty', which seems to point to a myriad of different things from a bit of googling. The car didnt feel any different during the minute or two i drove it but i dont want to risk getting too far from home with all my gear in it, only having to sort out a way to get the stuff back.

Having my mech mate run diagnostics tomorrow to give me a useful error code rather than a generic faulty message.

At first i was not too bothered about the warning but as i sit here fishing and googling the 'faulty' message, i am getting increasingly annoyed in how varied the potential problems can be.

Is there a particular reason why cars cant just display a more specific error code and require someone to plug a little pdq thingy in?

Whats to stop people just buying these little kits and self diagnosing? (are they pricey or do you need to really know your stuff even with google?)

Ps. If you have come across that message before, I'd appreciate if you can share your experience, though i am doubtful there will be many peugeot owners on OCuk motor forums :p

2. Luke

Soldato

Do you do lots of short journeys? Could be needs a decent drive at high revs to clear the DPF out.
    You can buy OBD readers for a fiver on ebay and the software for your phone is free.

3. Avenged7Fold

Capodecina

Mainly short journeys.

4 miles round trip in traffic on the days it gets used and about 5 minutes on a 60mph road a few times a week for the pub if i am leaving the car there.

I will say though, it is a petrol not diesel.

4. Rilot

Don

Could be a gunged up cat throwing the lambda readings out. Give it a good thrashing to get it nice a hot.

5. Avenged7Fold

Capodecina

Thanks guys, will give it a go.

6. MooMoo444

Caporegime

Then do the same for the car?

7. Sypel

Associate

Had this on my 207 recently (first car, don't judge too harshly). Happened mid way through a 90 mile drive, when I came back to the car the message didn't reappear and hasn't since, been about three months.

I was concerned when I looked it up but it seems to have resolved itself, or the motorway section of the drive I was on sorted it as suggested above as a possibility.

8. Diddums

Capodecina

Needs an italian tune up.

9. acemastr

Mobster

^

Warm up. Couple Redline pulls.

10. DiscoKandy

Hitman

Had a 407 2.0HDI that threw this message on the dash, as you say, could be caused by a number of things, when I read the fault code it was low fuel pressure code, replaced the fuel filter and all was well.

11. Avenged7Fold

Capodecina

No time to take it on the m25 yesterday evening as my mate was coming round with his diagnostics kit.

Came up with Faulty O2 sensor. I did give it a drive under a little more scrutiny round the block and it felt a little rough but it would do i guess when comparing it to my much newer commute car.

12. james.miller

Capodecina

It's Peugeot - it can mean anything from a misfire to a fuel filter needing replacing. You need to get the codes read. Wife had this in her 308 petrol. Turned out to be an (expensive) faulty cat.

13. Avenged7Fold

Capodecina

Your wife's car read a faulty O2 sensor when diagnostics were run?

14. Mahonyy

Gangster

Can't help myself reading Peugeot as ** Fully Star out all swearing ** Peugeot!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2019
  15. Jackson Rossiter

Associate

If you get this message DO NOT drive the car. I drove it now have a 900£ bill for the timing belt.

16. Nasher

Capodecina

It's on strike.

17. Skillmister

Capodecina

I'm sure OP hasn't driven the car since 2017

18. Scania

Capodecina

Its French, the electrics are probably complaining about the cold & damp, ignore and carry on.

19. NoobCannon

Mobster

Another pointless thread revival

20. Tinders

Mobster

Another peculiar 1st post on a PC forum :p