1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Depollution System Faulty' Damn you Peugeot!

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Avenged7Fold, Apr 5, 2017.

1. phil-k

Wise Guy

I am looking at getting a 4 year old Peugeot 308 or Focus soon, as they both have all these modern electronics I imagine there would be the same possible problems with either of them

2. Nasher

Capodecina

You'll definitely have a lot less problems with Ford electronics!

3. Orionaut

Soldato

Dont know about OP's car, but I have found that when older diesle Peugeot come up with "Depolution fault" and a little picture on the dash display, as opposed to just a MIL on, especially at around 80,000 miles. It typically refers to the need for the DPF additive tank to be refilled

(A bit like topping up ad-blue, but something that only needs to be done every 80,000 miles or so on the Peugeot system)

It is a nasty messy job involving unpleasant chemicals being squirted into a not verry accessible tank under the floor but it is DIYable provided you have acess to a suitable scan tool for resetting the counter.

To put this job off for as long as possible, run the tank all the way down and refill to brim each time you top up.

The counter operates on the number of fuel flap operations, Bit like redex, you get a squirt evey time you open the flap so you will use the stuff up much quicker if you fill up little and often.

4. Tomsk

Soldato

As an owner of 11 year old Peugeot 407 Diesel, the message to refill DPF is very specific.

'Depolution fault' can be one of several faults.
    On my car it's the EGR valve, which I blocked off anyway, because it was faulty. In fact since blocking it off, my car has run better.

5. Philz0r

Wise Guy

My wife's c4 petrol 1.6 does this if we use asda fuel.

6. Graham George Short

Associate

DEPOLUTION SYSTEM FAULTY - I've had this warning on my 2008 Peugeot 308 for 3 days. The performance wasn't affected at all. This morning I bought some 'Cataclean' and poured it into the fuel tank. When I switched on the ignition, the engine warning light went out after three seconds. I've driven it since without a problem. It's worth buying some of this for £15 and trying it - before becoming suicidal and booking it in to a garage.

7. james.miller

Capodecina

Better off spending that money on an odb2 reader, imo. At least you'll know what's causing the fault then.