1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

depression and a new treatment on NHS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by riamu, 30 Apr 2009.

1. Doctor_Zhivago

PermaBanned

I agree CBT is useless. Prozac and Lorazepam on the very bad days is the best combo

2. magick

Mobster

The meds you'r on won't cure you and the imbalances that are causing your depression WILL manifest in another form.

Depression can be beat without medication if you meditate several times a day, switch to a vegetarian or vegan diet and drink only fresh mountain spring water. Also do yoga and qi gong daily. After 3 months you will feel much happier.

Last edited: 7 May 2009
  3. Energize

Caporegime

I'm glad you're not a doctor!

4. magick

Mobster

Ok ignore my advice and listen to the doctors who'll keep riamu on meds for the rest of his life. Depression is caused by imbalances in the psyche and you can't cure these imbalances with drugs. You can only dull there effects.

All the treatments i've listed are free so what's the harm in trying them?

Surely it's worth giving it a go when the only other prospect is spending the rest of your life needing constant expensive and often damaging drugs and treament?

Last edited: 7 May 2009
  5. HarryPainful

PermaBanned

This.

I personally think that people need to help themselves before anyone else can.

Yes I have been down the very very dark road of depression for around 5 years and found my own way back.

6. HarryPainful

PermaBanned

I actually agree with magick.

Beating depression is not about pills and therapy, its about sorting your own head out and dealing with your own demons/issues YOURSELF.

Dont expect someone else to do it for you or give you pills that will take it away, will never happen.

7. Secret_Window

Soldato

sorry realised this is old thread never mind.

8. Destination

Capodecina

Nice one
    Break the law
    Lie to the new doctor
    Try to get a treatment which he can't afford but reckons the rest of us should pay the 20000 pounds to fund

Sorry, my taxpayer pounds are better spent elsewhere

-edit, gah necrothread!

Last edited: 5 May 2010
  9. Xordium

Capodecina

Ignore

10. MrMoonX

PermaBanned

the priory doesnt just treat drug abuse etc, they treat mental health conditions as well

11. [email protected]

Caporegime

Have you tried Seroxat?

12. Energize

Caporegime

If he's had ECT I think it's a safe bet he's tried the 1st line anti-depressants. ;) Ketamine looks promising though, if you can get on a trial of it.

riamu, have you tried other anti-depressants like Bupropion, Tianeptine and Mirtazapine?

13. chiLLZ

Gangster

yup that was also my experience summed up. It could be a good treatment if they linked it to the persons psycological condition and circumstances. But they dont and its intentional.

Its the most cost effective therapy though and if you succesfully complete the course you will be considerd cured. There are lots of other therapies but this one is time limmited and simple and easy to implement so it gets disproportionate amounts of funding and its blanketed on to everyone.

Its its interesting that more treatments are prescribed based on diagnosis alone and not on a persons condition.

its effective because people are schooled into reporting that their situation has improved. The pressure they put on people to slant their answer's is massive. And insight is discoranged. That was not the origional intent of CBT but its open to abuse by pressured organisations and government agenda's.

It is a societal intervention that treats the diagnosis not the causes of the illness. its an attempt to reduce the case loads. Actually a very political treatment. I am glad that I am getting better treatment now.

14. Andy_82

Gangster

Hi, not sure if anyones suggested this but first i'd get a second opinion also i'd do some research to find if there are any trials currently or planned.

15. tron

Hitman

The asian(Japanese,Chinese etc) diet + meditation + cbt goes along way maybe not curing depression but it does help.

How do people deal with depression in countries that cant afford anti depressants ?

16. Voltar

Soldato

So do I actually.

This issue though is personal, and different things work for different people. The strong anti-dep. meds they gave me didn't work and I (it was most unpleasant) battled it myself and have got better, but haven't solved my probs. Went to my first therapy (not CBT) session today after refusing/putting it off/thinking i was being fobbed off four years ago. It helped and I was told I could pay £10 per session at some place (will find the name if it helps the OP) for continuing therapy and was told that I am the type who responds well to therapy (not drugs).

I'm really sorry to hear about your situation OP, and really and sincerely hope that you manage to find the help you need and to overcome your problem.

As said before, I'd get in touch with PCT.

All the best.

17. chiLLZ

Gangster

true, I suppose CBT has value in the right circumstances, I just wish people were told the truth if a treatment is too expencive instead of being put into CBT which might not be right for them and make things worse or told that a expencive treatment that might help will not work.

CBT, can make people worse too if they are patronised by it.

18. magick

Mobster

Meditation.

19. Energize

Caporegime

Must be why Japan has one of the highest suicide rates. :D

20. tron

Hitman

I didn't just mean the Japanese diet i meant that part of Asia as a whole.Having one of the most healthiest diets in the word that must go someway to improve clarity,sanity of mind after all you are what you eat right ?