depression and a new treatment on NHS

Soldato
I didn't just mean the Japanese diet i meant that part of Asia as a whole.Having one of the most healthiest diets in the word that must go someway to improve clarity,sanity of mind after all you are what you eat right ?

Yes it does. Go on 3-4 day diet of just fruit and water and see how clearer your mind is.

Caporegime
I didn't just mean the Japanese diet i meant that part of Asia as a whole.Having one of the most healthiest diets in the word that must go someway to improve clarity,sanity of mind after all you are what you eat right ?

It prevents diet induced depression, other than that I can't really see it helping. We're talking about a neurological problem here, there has to be some neurological effect of the treatment. Like the way NRI's induce neurogenesis in the hippocampus and CBT reduces brain activity in the frontal cortex.

Deleted member 61728

D

Deleted member 61728

How do people deal with depression in countries that cant afford anti depressants other than committing suicide they must have found someway to survive ?

Caporegime
How do people deal with depression in countries that cant afford anti depressants other than committing suicide they must have found someway to survive ?

Most people with depression aren't suicidal, the overall mortality rate for major depression is about 3%, most untreated patients just live unhappy lives. Antidepressants are so cheap now though I can't imagine that anyone other than those living in the slums can't afford them. We're talking about £1 for a months supply of an ssri.

Soldato
Since I accidently revived this thread I will chip in.

tron - no I don't believe that in regards to mental health you are what you eat in terms of it being a major contributor to mental health. Yes, sometimes diet can make a difference but there are far more factors than simply just diet for mental health problems. For example you only have to look at people that are in deprived, poverty striken areas who have mental health issues because of their environment and lifestyle, as well as people who have mental health problems passed onto them from someone in the family through genetics and there are other factors like things that happen in people's lives which show that mental health has a varying number of contributing factors to the invidual. And don't forget mental health issues have existed for hundreds if not thousands of years

I don't think any country has perfect mental health. Wherever you go in the world a country will have people suffering from mental health - you may not see it but it does exist. With that I think there's also the issue that a lot of countries simply don't address the problem or offer treatment so it's ignored and people go on about their lives suffering from it quietly or dying from suicide or shutting themselves away - which isn't exactly the best way to go about it - so some countries where you think it doesn't exist or where it is shunned away aren't always great models. Each country has there own way of dealing with it - some better than others and others worse.

Back
Top Bottom