• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

der8auer proves that Intel’s LGA-1151v2, Z370 and Z390 are pointless

Soldato
Intel probably had some agreement with the motherboard manufacturer's regarding their old "tick-tock" model and were pretty much forced to do this when they realised they'd be using the same package for 4 generations.

Soldato
Watched the whole thing out of interest and its not surprising to be honest. We know Intel just want our money but this is just bad practise on their behalf but quite bad given how extensive his testing was. Blocking up to 68 pins and the CPU still working is nuts!

Soldato
The pin changes were just a way of implementing the restriction. Many of the high-end Z170/Z270 boards would happily run the 6 & 8 core CPUs once modified. The trouble is the lower end boards were the VRMs are just not up to the job.

Don
Whilst it is a crappy move on Intel's part to change socket "just because", I'm not convinced taping up the pins really proves much - there must be a reason for all of the additional pins, as Intel generally aren't one to miss a penny pinching trick (e.g. by having less traces/pins)

Soldato
Whilst it is a crappy move on Intel's part to change socket "just because", I'm not convinced taping up the pins really proves much - there must be a reason for all of the additional pins, as Intel generally aren't one to miss a penny pinching trick (e.g. by having less traces/pins)

You have a point but would it not be cheaper for them to mass produce one socket across the range in the long run?

Soldato
Let's face it they could have kept using 1150 or 1155 if they really wanted too. Having the same socket for 7 years+ might have been a sensible option, but I guess they liked extra revenue tto much

Soldato
I have no problem with innovation and necessary changes as a result. I do have a problem with greed.

If changes between CPU generations necessitate a socket change then by all means change socket every generation.

If retaining support on older boards significantly hampers newer CPUs then I'm happy to get a new board to fully utilise my shiny CPU.

If changes between CPU generations are made purely to force incompatibility then you can go do one.

Soldato
OP
I have no problem with innovation and necessary changes as a result. I do have a problem with greed.

If changes between CPU generations necessitate a socket change then by all means change socket every generation.

If retaining support on older boards significantly hampers newer CPUs then I'm happy to get a new board to fully utilise my shiny CPU.

If changes between CPU generations are made purely to force incompatibility then you can go do one.

Well said.

Don
Who knows what the long term consequences are of running higher currents into the CPUs are though? Though I guess probably negated by hardly anyone running CPUs flat out continuously.

In my work in O&G I know we have design limits on currents in cables. Doesn't mean they stop working if you exceed them, just you're "stealing" the performance from some other aspect of the cable, be it insulation life, temperature operating envelope etc.

Soldato
Pretty unsurprising really, be interesting to see what AMD comes out with soon with its AM4 socket. That said would you be a little annoyed to buy in to AM4 at what is nearing the end of its quoted life... :)

I have to say also that i'm quite impressed with some of the content Der8auer is putting out lately, very different and genuinely interesting to me!

Soldato
New chipset = new sales for everyone, customer pays for the privilege.
A lot of people keep a CPU for at least 5 years these days so the board would need replacing anyway. Anyone who buys a CPU then replaces it after 12 months can DEFINITELY afford a new motherboard.
You have a point but would it not be cheaper for them to mass produce one socket across the range in the long run?
It's actually expensive to keep the same socket for multiple CPU generations. AMD tried that with AM4 and thousands of customers bought Ryzen 1 motherboards because they were reduced in price but got a black screen when fitted with a Ryzen 2. This didn't affect customers who upgraded from Ryzen 1 because they could refit their old CPU to do the BIOS update then refit their Ryzen 2. However, first-time buyers had to contact AMD support and request an upgrade CPU which is actually a retail Athlon CPU so they could update their BIOS. AMD tried to save on return postage costs by telling people to keep the Athlon cooler after the BIOS upgrade and to send just the CPU back. AMD had to then send tons of chaser emails because people were slow to return the temporary CPU and some never returned. It would have been cheaper for AMD to change the socket. The whole fiasco also cost motherboard manfactures a lot of money in support calls as well.

Back
Top Bottom