Desk Case Project Advice?

Associate
I am not new in any means to this whole PC building and PC gaming. I am however looking to throw all I know and also my DIY skills into creating a desk case.

I am basically wondering about the custom loop. My current one is sufficient. but this time I'm going big.. ("Grade B" almost perfect condition EKWB XE480mm radiator big) Open to using more radiators etc, but want an idea of the pumps and so on.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yeah I'm aware that ddc has better head pressure. I have one in a 5.25 bay res currently. I'm keen on quieter. Would it be ideal to go with 2 d5 pumps however? Space is less of an issue this time with having desk sized areas to work with. Would 2 d5s make up for the head pressure deficit?

Man of Honour
depends on the length of the loop and how many components
radiators don't do much in terms of resistance
it's more the cpu and gpu blocks (and to a much lesser extent, the diameter of the tubing)

Associate
OP
See. My initial thoughts were. Some hardline in bits around rad. Soft tubing around the cou gpu blocks. All were 16mmOD 12mm ID. A single 1080Ti block and AM4 block. The runs would be from rad to gpu. No longer than say around 3ft. So say 4ft length. From end to end.

Man of Honour
a single d5 would be fine
a few 90 degree turns in the loop adds some resistance, but nothing the d5 cannot handle

Soldato
2 pumps
1 for redundancy
If 1 fails loop will still work
Quick disconnects on the soft tube
Parts of the loop
So can take out cpu or gpu or pump
Without needing to drain
Cross flow radiators would give
A cleaner look as in one end out
The other
Means less tubing runs
Am assuming glass/acrylic/polycarbonate
Window in the desk?

Associate
OP
Looking at a piece of tempered glass for the top. Hardline from rads maybe. And a little bit of external show off piping.

Like the idea of 2 pumps. 1 being an alpha cool rgb ball. Thing I saw.

Quick disconnects a strong yes. If I can hide the connector parts.

And cross flow radiators inst something I've considered in all honesty considering I already picked up a bargain on a XE480mm EKWB rad. That's sort of where the hard tube idea spawned. Making the rad bit neater.

If anyone wants to recommend quiet but cheap fans, that would be great also. Obviously needs to push a decent amount of air too without looking ugly given the use case.

Soldato
Looking at a piece of tempered glass for the top. Hardline from rads maybe. And a little bit of external show off piping.

Like the idea of 2 pumps. 1 being an alpha cool rgb ball. Thing I saw.

Quick disconnects a strong yes. If I can hide the connector parts.

And cross flow radiators inst something I've considered in all honesty considering I already picked up a bargain on a XE480mm EKWB rad. That's sort of where the hard tube idea spawned. Making the rad bit neater.

If anyone wants to recommend quiet but cheap fans, that would be great also. Obviously needs to push a decent amount of air too without looking ugly given the use case.
Artic cooling fans at around £6 each
Get recommended a lot on here
Quiet and can be daisy chained
So less cables
Can't remember exact model number
At the moment
Bit more expensive but there was
A dual pack of Phanteks at a
Really good price as well

Associate
OP
Looking st offering for 5 sp120s on ebay cheap for the res. The intakes etc I was drawn to arctic p12 fans. 5 packs I've sourced for around £20 but additional ones for 6 each are decent.

Never really considered Phanteks much. Might have a look thanks!

Back
Top Bottom