Deskercise

Soldato
I can't afford a gym membership or any expensive equipment

I've NO willpower for an exercise regime while I'm away from the desk,

We can't help you. If you're not willing to put money aside for gym membership, and if your not willing to do any actual exercise, there is no advice we can give you. Bye.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
We can't help you. If you're not willing to put money aside for gym membership, and if your not willing to do any actual exercise, there is no advice we can give you. Bye.

I can't afford a gym membership, I didn't say I wasn't willing.
And I am willing to exercise, but I would prefer that exercise to be something I can do at my desk.

If there is no such possibility, then fair enough. I'll have to work on the willpower aspect and find something I can enjoy - I've often considered an exercise bike...

So, is that what you're saying? There is nothing I can do while at my desk?

Last edited:
Soldato
I can't afford a gym membership, I didn't say I wasn't willing.
And I am willing to exercise, but I would like that exercise to be something I can do at my desk.

If there is no such possibility, then fair enough. I'll have to work on the willpower aspect. Is that what you're saying?

Firstly, I'm pretty sure you can afford a gym membership, but you're unwilling to give up other things in your life that cost money in order to improve your own health.

Secondly, nothing you can do while sitting on your arse at your desk is going to be able to counteract the fact that your sitting on your arse at your desk.

What I'm saying is if you are overweight, unless you make extensive changes to your outlook and lifestyle, you are not going to lose weight or get healthier.

I realise I'm being incredibly harsh and I'm coming off like a complete *******, but you've basically made a thread where you've said "I don't want to do any real exercise, or change anything about my life, but I want to lose weight". It's impossible. Now, if you're willing to put some effort in and make some dietary changes, and take up some exercise pre or post work, then we can offer you some helpful, good advice.

Soldato
OP
Firstly, I'm pretty sure you can afford a gym membership, but you're unwilling to give up other things in your life that cost money in order to improve your own health.

No, I can't. I'm curious how you are aware of my finiancial state!

Well, thank you for your harsh words, I'll drop the idea of deskercise (sadly). It was just an idea. I'll look at other options and try to find something I could enjoy.

Thanks anyway :)

Last edited:
Soldato
No, I can't. I'm curious how you are aware of my finiancial state!

It's not that I know your finances in detail, it's just that unless your living on the bread line chances are you spend money on going to the pub, buying beer and snack food etc at the supermarket, maybe a few subscriptions etc, everyone spends money on things they don't technically need, and it's those monies you could be saving and using on something to prolong your life, make you feel a hell of a lot better and make you look a lot better e.g. a gym membership.

I could be wrong though.

Associate
I'm in the same situation and would love some ideas :)

Feel for you Helium_Junkie if you're in the same situation as I am... :(

Soldato
OP
chances are you spend money on going to the pub, buying beer and snack food etc at the supermarket, maybe a few subscriptions etc

That'd be nice. I started renting something we could afford just before the recession smacked us all in the face by cancelling 2 years of payrises while increasing living costs and making it ridiculously hard to find another job :/ I don't exactly live frivolously.

Short of cancelling my £50 subscription to "Gold plated disney characters weekly" there's nothing I can give up that would allow a gym membership.

But I can probably borrow enough for a small one off, as I mentioned. I've always been a little curious about exercise bikes. I used to love cycling but there's nowhere local I could without being bottled by chavs ;(

They any good?

Last edited:
Soldato
I guess running outdoors is out of the question if you're afraid of getting 'bottled by chavs'? It's free after all, and if you can afford a one off £70 you could get some decent running shoes. But then again we are edging into territory that would require you to do some exercise after work, which you said you didn't want to do :p

Soldato
Whilst i'm merrilly lol'ing at this thread, makanouchi is right H_J. You gotta want it, to do it. Any exercise done at your desk, will need to be intense enough to make a difference. And if it is, how do you feel about getting all sweaty at your workdesk? Do you work from home? if so, you certainly don't need to be at your desk to exercise, so don't use that as an excuse dude.
If you work for a company, i would pretty much think a pedalling machine would be out of the question.
A brisk walk if you're out of shape will help drop lbs in the first instance. Possbily enough of a difference to give you the will power to go further into doing deliberate exercise in the right environment, i.e. NOT at a desk :)
Give us some options that your willing to compromise on, ie; move away from the desk, free up some money somehow for gym membership or training equipment. (rubber bands etc)

Soldato
OP
I guess running outdoors is out of the question if you're afraid of getting 'bottled by chavs'?

We don't live in a nice area and I'm a total coward :) They're simply everywhere!

we are edging into territory that would require you to do some exercise after work, which you said you didn't want to do :p

I would prefer deskercise, true. But I think I could do non deskercise if it was something enjoyable! I would prefer indoors, in my own home though.

Whilst i'm merrilly lol'ing at this thread(rubber bands etc)

1) glad I amuse you :p
2) rubber bands?

Cycle to and from work?

I really REALLY would love this option, but I live a 40minute drive from work, over several steep hills. I don't think I could cycle it, even if it was close enough :( I have dreams of living in cycling distance, but alas...

Last edited:
Associate
I really REALLY would love this option, but I live a 40minute drive from work, over several steep hills. I don't think I could cycle it, even if it was close enough :( I have dreams of living in cycling distance, but alas...

Might be quicker on a bike (traffic, indirect route etc). How many miles is it?

And hills just mean more exercise, which means more weight lost and you get even fitter.

Caporegime
Bleh I'd hope you'd seen the implied :p.

I've no idea at all what you can do for "Descercise". Only thing I can suggest really is take regular breaks and go for a walk around the office for ~5 minutes? Cycling to work really is the best thing I can think of. Get yourself a decent bike, and work up to it - drive there one day, cycle home. Cycle the next, drive home etc.

Back
Top Bottom