1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dexit

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by LabR@t, Jan 13, 2019.

1. 4K8KW10

Soldato

They won't and you, we all know it.

2. 4K8KW10

Soldato

I think an EU without Russia is not a natural union for a few countries in the East. It is not natural for the people, while the richmen thrive, as the Gini coefficients show.

3. Freakbro

Capodecina

Really? My post got deleted because it referenced Brexit (in a thread about other countries leaving the EU) in SC, because it wasn't in the Brexit Thread? :D

Slow night mods? :p

4. Tute

Capodecina

Agreed. Better to tank the hit now than down the line.

5. bayo000

Mobster

Rea
    Do you mean the countries that in late 80s early 90s overturned communism and caused collapse of Soviet Union? I think most of them are quite happy to keep their relationship with Russia limited to essential trade like gas.

6. 4K8KW10

Soldato

Yes, exactly these countries, some of which are being currently in demographic crisis because of the wild american capitalism.

7. BowdonUK

Wise Guy

It is very interesting that high profile German's have signed a letter posted to the Times today pleading with the UK stay in the EU.

I suspect the Germans are worried because of their economy, and at next EU budget the British contribution might vanish and the German government will have to increase EU spending to make up the short fall.

8. malachi

Sgarrista

And which newspaper have both you been reading?!?!?

The EU isn't going anywhere, whether you like it or not. Plenty of countries part of Europe are willing to join the EU. And even if the EU did collapse, what makes you think it will not effect us, even after Brexit? The last recession started in the US and it still managed to impact the UK, yet we are no where near tired to them unlike other countries in Europe.

9. billysielu

Capodecina

I don't read newspapers (it's 2019), but catch quite a bit of BBC News, and sometimes BBC 5 Live radio after midnight.
    Didn't say there'd be zero impact of EU collapse if we're not a member.

10. spoffle

Capodecina

Why do people feel the need to keep coming up with these stupid portmanteaus?

11. spoffle

Capodecina

Newspapers are still printed because there's still a demand. The current date is completely irrelevant.

12. Burnsy2023

Man of Honour

How long would the EU need to survive for you to admit you were wrong about this? It seems a perpetual and open ended prediction.

13. billysielu

Capodecina

I'd admit defeat if it's going strong 50 years from now. Although I might not be alive to do so.

14. SPG

Soldato

Intereasting times, the EU is here to stay though, America needs bases for it's short range nukes now that they are about to pull out of the treaty.

Besides too much money at stake for many many countries

15. redeye

Gangster

I suspect it's one of the reasons but most German's accepted long ago that they would have to pay more into the EU with the loss of the UK. They are perfectly fine with that. The other side, which is massively under appreciated in the UK is what people's opinion of it is from the outside. Almost everyone I meet in Germany has the upmost respect and love for the UK - what is has given the world in terms of inventions, law, education, music, culture, comedy, tea :) etc. There is massive fondness for the UK and it has influenced countries all over the world more than most people understand.

16. SPG

Soldato

Of course they are worried, who is going to subsidise their rail-network :) and how much the coffers of the ECB are going to be short.

17. Freakbro

Capodecina

Oh, we'll still be doing that from the profit they make off the German owned rail franchises in the UK ;)

18. PlacidCasual

Soldato

I can't see Germany leaving the EU but with the UK leaving there may be a period of sudden acceleration in integration with the UK's blocking positions removed (assuming it goes ahead). This might put some pressure on the more populist minded Czech and Polish Governments that have spent much of the last 5 years at loggerheads with the EU. Equally the Netherlands has a strong anti-EU rump that might be emboldened if the EU did march forward after UK withdrawal.

The response of the Junker's, Tusk's, Macron's and Merkel's of the EU post Brexit could have knock on consequences amongst the inline but grumbling about it crowd.

19. Avenged7Fold

Capodecina

Even if the other countries had a high chance of leaving the EU, leaving for them will likely mean something very different.

Just look at the massive range of opinions as to what leaving should look like for us, now which of those positions would be viable for many of these countries?

Even the hardest leavers of these countries would be forced to accept a leave so soft that it would only really be in principle only. We are making a meal out of leaving and we are an Island nation with an economy built on financial services and have our own currency - I can't see many other governments stomaching the idea of properly leaving the EU.

20. Zethor

Mobster

Germany is the main industrial and political powerhouse of the Union. With Britain divided and France in turmoil, never in its history has Germany been so influential both locally and globally. All of this, at the cost of 0.3% of its yearly GDP.

The idea that they would give it all up to pursue a nationalist wet dream is insanely idiotic, at the very least.