DHCP scopes in W2K3

Soldato
Anyone know how I can tie different DHCP scopes to different groups of computers in Windows 2003 Server?

Need different scopes for desktops, servers, printers etc etc but can't work out how to do it.

Soldato
OP
User classes only work for determining specific scope options, from what I can see.

Reservations will be used to fix the addresses dished out to certain machines but I can't set up reservations for everything that doesn't currently exist and might be added at some future point.

I can't find anything which lets me tie a scope to a group of computers. Unless I'm missing something it doesn't seem possible which is frankly staggering.

Soldato
Had a talk around and one of the guys seemed to think he had heard of it being one in the past using OUs and login scripts.

Cant find anything about choosing from multiple DHCP scopes using scripts though.

Soldato
I can't find anything which lets me tie a scope to a group of computers. Unless I'm missing something it doesn't seem possible which is frankly staggering.

I've never heard of it being done. After all, the DHCP server wouldn't know what the remote computer is until it has an IP and has logged onto the domain.

I've always done

Servers - Manually set up static address (would never have them assigned by DHCP)
Printers - DHCP reservation
Computers - DHCP

Not sure why you need different IPs for different groups of computers. There are many other ways to split computers into groups. If you really wanted it then VLANs would be the only way i can think of.

Soldato
OP
I obviously want servers/printers/routers/switches to have fixed addresses but would rather have them allocated by reserved leases on the DHCP server than actually static.

All I've come up with so far is setting the scope to the range .1 to .254 and then excluding .1 to .99 so that it starts dishing out addresses from 100 upwards. I could then set reservations for addresses below 100. What I don't know is whether the server will issue these reservations when they're part of an exclusion range. Time for some testing methinks.

Soldato
I obviously want servers/printers/routers/switches to have fixed addresses but would rather have them allocated by reserved leases on the DHCP server than actually static.

All I've come up with so far is setting the scope to the range .1 to .254 and then excluding .1 to .99 so that it starts dishing out addresses from 100 upwards. I could then set reservations for addresses below 100. What I don't know is whether the server will issue these reservations when they're part of an exclusion range. Time for some testing methinks.

Nah i'm pretty sure the reserved IPs must be part of a scope.

Associate
As previously mentioned (but maybe not practical in your setup) - a nice way is to seperate the network up into VLANS - i.e one VLAN for servers, one for workstations etc etc. Then set default gateways on each of the VLANS - the DHCP server will then assign addresses based on which gateway the request came from. You can then have a scope for each role of machine. If setting up on Cisco kit remember to use an IP Helper to pass DHCP broadcasts.

Soldato
OP
Nah i'm pretty sure the reserved IPs must be part of a scope.

Works like a charm! :D

The addresses are part of a scope (.1 through .254) but are also part of an exclusion within that scope (.1 to .99). The DHCP server will thus assign addresses from .100 onwards without problems but I am also able to add reservations for addresses below .100 and it will issue these addresses despite them being within the exclusion.

Soldato
OP
Do reservations not have to be within the scope then? Can't say I've ever tried that.

Oh well, it works which is all I need right now and I have a million other things to do. Been configuring switches this afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom